Corsair Community

Difference between these two kits?

weinstropc

Hi, I'm shopping for memory. According to the QVL of the motherboard maker, Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 is an acceptable memory kit, offering 2x8 GB.

I'd like more memory than that, though. Corsair CMK32GX4M4C3000C15 offers 4x8 GB modules from the same product series with the same timings and speed as above.

My questions:

1. Do these two kits in fact use the same 8 GB modules?

2. Much as I like the CMK32GX4M4C3000C15, this kit is not on the QVL list of the motherboard maker. It's also not available at what I would call a reasonable price - way more than 2x the former. So, is it OK to purchase 2 kits of CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, instead?

3. What is the degree of matching performed by Corsair in sorting the 8 GB modules in kits of 2 or 4?

4. I'm assuming that since two of these sticks is OK, then four will be OK, too. Is this a risky assumption?

Motherboard is Biostar B450GT3 and CPU will be either Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600X.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

1. Do these two kits in fact use the same 8 GB modules?

It would appear so. According to Corsair's site, they appear to be part of the same product page, just different number of DIMMs.

2. Much as I like the CMK32GX4M4C3000C15, this kit is not on the QVL list of the motherboard maker. It's also not available at what I would call a reasonable price - way more than 2x the former. So, is it OK to purchase 2 kits of CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, instead?

The QVL is good to go by, but not 100% necessary. Just because a kit is not on there doesn't mean it won't work. It's not possible for the manufacturer to test every single kit. As long as you match speed, timings, and vendor, you're usually pretty safe.

Many will tell you not to mix and match kits of even the same part number, as even though the final specs may be the same, the actual component configuration (RAM ICs and such) may differ to get it there.

Personally, I have had no issues just matching part numbers. The 4x8GB I am running now are actually 2 x 2x8 kits, and it works fine. It's best to buy them at the same time, from the same vendor though, as it's more likely they come from the same batch that way.

3. What is the degree of matching performed by Corsair in sorting the 8 GB modules in kits of 2 or 4?

I don't work for Corsair, so I can't say for certain. I'm sure when they match, it's simply a matter of them all running at the same speeds and timings, and probably coming from the same lot/batch code.

4. I'm assuming that since two of these sticks is OK, then four will be OK, too. Is this a risky assumption?

You should be fine, though with any configuration, 4 sticks will put a greater load on the memory controller. A faster than JEDEC speed is an overclock. An XMP profile is basically a factory overclock. The RAM has been rated to run at that speed, but that doesn't mean your CPU (since nowadays this is where the IMC/integrated memory controller lives) can run them at that speed. That being said, since you're sticking to 2nd Gen Ryzen, you should be fine. I am running the RGB Pro version of that same speed/timings on a Ryzen 5 2600 with no issues, and was even able to overclock to 3200Mhz with relaxed timings and a bump in SOC voltage. Whether or not XMP will work is dependent on the board. I've run these sticks on 3 boards. XMP worked on 2 of them, the other had to be manually configured. You'll want to make sure your board bumps up SOC voltage appropriately when XMP is enabled. In any case, the IMC should run 4 DIMMs at JEDEC speeds just fine. It's the factory overclock that can get "hairy," especially with the greater load 4 DIMMs places on the memory controller.

Archived