Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - How much voltage can it take?

ssd_noob

The RAM is rated at 1.5V upto speed of 1600.

My MSI motherboard's OC Genie sets it at 1.8V which I think is too high. I'm now trying to manually OC my system and I have set the memory voltage to 1.6V at 1066. If I set the memory speed to 1333 my system will be unstable. So, if I want to set the memory speed back to 1333 I might have to increase the memory voltage. What is the maximum memory voltage I can set with my Corsair RAM?

Thank you.

EDIT

The RAM model in the title should read CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. I don't know how to edit the title. Sorry.

I have the same question with CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R. With my particular overclock (125 x 35), my only speed options are 1666 and 2000. I've opted for the latter. I've set the timings to 9-10-9-27 and 2T as per the XMP profile. However, my motherboard sets the voltage at 1.65 and it typically is between 1.65 and 1.67. Though the PC will POST at 1.50v it will not boot into Windows (or run reliably) at anything less than 1.65. Is this a concern?

(Did you really get this RAM to run at 1.50v ;)? Is it because the CPU is OC'd that the voltage needs to be at 1.65v?)

No, thats normal G50EED! 1.665v is what the XMP profile would use . The extra voltage is necessary when you run a high overclock like that. and as you have found out anything less than that, at those speeds wont produce a successful boot.

As long as the OC genie does not go higher than what it is , it's okay.

Personally, i have never had any luck with the OC genie. I always set things manually to be sure my settings stuck. But, thats just the OCD in me.*shrugs*

Anyway, and voltage required will be platform dependant too. AMD almost always require more voltage than an intel rig. Which is why the OP's OC genie was setting his ram at 1.8v

Is it because the CPU is OC'd that the voltage needs to be at 1.65v?

)

Not so much the CPU. Thats DIMM voltage . Again,needed to run at higher than stock speeds. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have installed two CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 RAMs.

I set them to 1.6V and now one of my RAMs seems to be defective.

I tested them with memtest one by one in a single slot. Only one of them worked fine. The other one has many errors at memtest.

My question: Can 1.6V damage a CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ? or do i have the option to send them back to vendor anymore?

greetings from germany :laughing:

Edit:

The modules can run up to 2.0 Volts

Sry, i havn't read this - so i think it wasn't my fault, that the RAM is damaged.

No , 1.6 volts wont damage those modules. Some systems run them at 1.65v . And the modules them selves are good to about 2.0v before you could damage them.

do i have the option to send them back to vendor anymore?

Sure, if you are still within your resellers policy that is certainly an option.

You can send it direct to corsair if not.

Archived