The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 545801
68fastback Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graimer View Post
Have you read the FAQ for audio on corsair.com ?

"Our remote on the SP2500 uses an SVGA connection which is found on some monitors. You can use a standard SVGA extension cable to extend the length of the remote, as long as it has both male and female connectors. Make sure you get the SVGA cable, because a standard VGA cable will not allow the speakers to transmit the audio signal."

Source: http://www.corsair.com/support/faq/audio/
Great insight -- thanks!

How long is the SVGA cable you're using? Is it a standard or high-quality cable? Does everything work with it just as if unextended?

-Dan

[edit:] ok, I see you were quoting the FAQs page. Had you actually tried it? I'm wondering since I'd need to extend about 25' and there has to be some realistic limits on distance, I'm thinking, for it to still work right.

Last edited by 68fastback; 12-06-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Graimer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 545803
Graimer Reputation: 10

Haven't tested it myself. Still waiting for my SP2500 to be delivered, but I read that right after buying my set, and thought you guys may need it. 25' sounds like pushing the limits, but someone has to try it. Without any proof, I would still guess that it should work, even though you may(or will) get some noise.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 545804

Thanks...

I think I'll buy a high-quality SVGA (28ga, low O2 copper, gold plated cotacts) and hope for the best since I need to add 25'. Planning to do it over the holidays ...we shall see.

I just got back from ER for a hand injury so this could delay the plan a bit ....hope not.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
fvbounty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 545816
fvbounty Reputation: 10

I wonder if these would work, they say SVGA on them?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Old 12-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 545818
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

The Statement "Ultra VGA" means the Specification Ultra VGA not the make or model. The cables sold at Tiger Direct are Branded Ultra as that is the in house brand it is still just a regular VGA cable and may not work.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 545843

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
The Statement "Ultra VGA" means the Specification Ultra VGA not the make or model. The cables sold at Tiger Direct are Branded Ultra as that is the in house brand it is still just a regular VGA cable and may not work.
Problem I'm having, RAM GUY, is finding such a cable.

There's VGA, SVGA and UXGA. Is UXGA what engineering is referring to? There's no Ultra VGA spec cable that I can find.

Possibly they have a source?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 545846

Yes I would have to say that would be the correct assumption.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 545899

Quote:
Yes I would have to say that would be the correct assumption.
But the FAQs already say: "Our remote on the SP2500 uses an SVGA connection which is found on some monitors. You can use a standard SVGA extension cable to extend the length of the remote, as long as it has both male and female connectors. Make sure you get the SVGA cable, because a standard VGA cable will not allow the speakers to transmit the audio signal". So it seems sort of coy to say that and then be reluctant to identify a surce.

I understand Corsair's reluctance to *recommend* a source/vendor however, given the FAQs, Corsair could certainly, as manufactuers often do, identify commercial source(s) they're aware of with the caveat that "Corasir neither recommends nor warrants aftermarket sources nor thier products".

Anyhow, I also checked Amphenol (large high-quality commercial cable supplier) and they do not list any Ultra S/VGA spec'd cables, it seems ...so...

Maybe engineering and just needs Corsair General Counsel to validate that it's ok to share a source and the mystery would go away?

Last edited by 68fastback; 12-06-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 546183

You have made a Good point and I will pass it along but officially extending the cable is not suggested. But it can be done as stated; the issue with adding an extension cable is the capacitance will change and may cause anomalies to occur. So I can only pass one what our Engineering has given to me.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 546213

Quote:
You have made a Good point and I will pass it along but officially extending the cable is not suggested. But it can be done as stated; the issue with adding an extension cable is the capacitance will change and may cause anomalies to occur. So I can only pass one what our Engineering has given to me.
Thanks, RAM GUY ...I do much appreciate you following up on that.

I will contact Amphenol and solicit their recommendation for an appropriate high-quality low-capacitance Ultra-VGA (SVGA allpins wired) 25' M/F extention cable and we'll go from there.

-Dan

Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 546485

Contacted Amphenol the other day and asked for their recommendation on an appropriate cable (even pointed them to this thread). Didn't hear from them yet so ordered Monoprice's premium tripple-shielded gold-pin cable (25') ...so I figure, at their low price, if it works, great. If not I'll use it for another app and maybe I'll hear from Amphenol by then.

We shall see

Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
fvbounty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 546488
fvbounty Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
Contacted Amphenol the other day and asked for their recommendation on an appropriate cable (even pointed them to this thread). Didn't hear from them yet so ordered Monoprice's premium tripple-shielded gold-pin cable (25') ...so I figure, at their low price, if it works, great. If not I'll use it for another app and maybe I'll hear from Amphenol by then.

We shall see
Exactly at the price you can't go wrong, that's why I suggested Monoprice, a great place to get any cable! Hope it works for you!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:53 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 546492

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Exactly at the price you can't go wrong, that's why I suggested Monoprice, a great place to get any cable! Hope it works for you!
Yep. I've been happy with them (price and service) in the past too ...their cables seem to hold up well too (so far).

So, if capacitance is the issue, this will be a good test of the quality of the conductors in the MP premium cable. If it's at least a decent density copper (low O2) with the gold-pins and ferrites I'm fairly hopefull if will work. If there's some minor interference, I can live with that ...as long as all functions work reliably.

I'm in the east so won't see them until late next week.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
******* SP2500 Audio

POST ID # = 548461

GREAT NEWS!!!

I installed a 25' Monoprice (PID 3594) 25' SUper VGA Male/Female CL2 rated for in-wall installation with ferrites and gold-plated interfaces) and it works *FLAWLESSLY* ...no interference whatsoever.

Based on that I will install it permanently -- hopefully over the weekend.

btw, for those interested, I actually ordered three cables:
- the 25' for the Corsair control module extention (mentioned above)
- 25' Male/Male gold-plated CL2-rated SVGA (PID 3621) so I can show pics on the HDTV from my laptop
- 25' Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo male 22AWG (PID 5581) gold plated for audio from Labtop to the HDTV

I'll post up if any problems develop with teh Corsair controller extention, etc, but I'm not anticipating any ...and at $7.84 it's a steal. They make cheaper cables without ferrites or gold-plating (which may or may not work) but the PID 3594 I bought is their Premium cable and seems to work flawlessly. They also make an SVGA cable for plenum installations but that is the same quality cable just with a strain-relief tension cable built in ...and costs considerably more.

Only drawback I can see is that the ferrite cores near the end of the cable might cause you to have pull the subwhoofer another 1' or so away from the wall to allow the cable to curve (never a good idea to sharply bend and high-frequency cable), tho you could bend it more tightly (I won't).

Happy camper! ...and thanks RAM GUY for helping with the info, etc.

-Dan

[edit:] PS ...still haven't gotten any reply from Amphenol ...I'm surprised.

[edit:] 12-18-11 ...have used every POD function multiple times via the Monoprice 25' SVGA extender and every function is still working flawlessly. If you're considering extending the POD/conroller cable, I would not hesitate to use the Monoprice premium cable I listed above ...I'm so glad I tried this. -Dan

[edit:] 1-16-12 ...using it every day and not one problem or 'glitch' of any kind with the 25' control Pod extender cable ...I think it's now safe to say this works 100% flawlessly with a high quality cable as engineering said -- awesome!!

Last edited by 68fastback; 01-16-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
jeffsimply's PC Specs

POST ID # = 759842
jeffsimply Reputation: 10

Holy necro guys.

I've just bought an "SVGA" cable, as instructed by the FAQs.

Upon some further analysis there's actually no difference between VGA and SVGA as far as the vessel or cable is concerned, SVGA is just the term for 800x600 whereas VGA is 640x480.

The cables are all 15 pins.

Anyway, I bought an extension and I'm experiencing the same issue as you'll find on many other topics regarding extending the SP2500 remote, no sound!!

Last edited by jeffsimply; 02-12-2015 at 03:23 PM.