The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990326
DevBiker Reputation: 83

I would strongly recommend that you limit the number of LEDs that are directly powered from a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro channel to 60.

Otherwise you may draw too much current and blow a fuse.

You can, however, hook the channel to an RGB LED Fan Hub and power the LEDs through that. In fact, with a bit of custom cabling, I currently have 240 LEDs (24 Corsair strips) running off of a single Lighting Channel. Each group of 6 strips is identical - so they are mirrored. But that works and works well.

See my signature for details on how to make your own connectors.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:43 AM
sLpFhaWK's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990343
sLpFhaWK Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
I would strongly recommend that you limit the number of LEDs that are directly powered from a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro channel to 60.

You can, however, hook the channel to an RGB LED Fan Hub and power the LEDs through that. In fact, with a bit of custom cabling, I currently have 240 LEDs (24 Corsair strips) running off of a single Lighting Channel. Each group of 6 strips is identical - so they are mirrored. But that works and works well.

I watched your video last week on making cables, that's the easy part. And the reason I chose 96 LED's was because 6 Corsair LL fans are 96 LEDS as each fan has 16, but now thinking about that it has a fan hub which has it's own power source so that wouldn't be good just to plug straight into the commander pro. Glad you mentioned that.

Could you go into more detail about your 240 LEDS on the channel?

You have a 2nd RGB Fan Hub? And are you using official corsair strips? or WS2812B LED Strips?

Old 01-18-2019, 01:22 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990344
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Corsair strips. LNP => Fan Hub Splitter => 2x Fan Hubs. Custom cables that bridge pin 2 and 3 and convert the fan connector to a strip connection. But ... with the right cabling, you can daisy-chain fan hubs.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:21 PM
ksj4477's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993695
ksj4477 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post

DevBiker, would I be safe powering this strip directly through a LNP channel or will I need to power this off a separate 5v power source/RGB fan hub?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG49QKD

If I was to blow the fuse in the LNP, is the fuse replaceable? I am capable of soldering if need be.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM
ksj4477's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993858

So I went for it and they do work fine most of the time but periodically, the LEDs randomly go full white for a minute or so then go back to the regular programming. I'm not sure why they are doing this, when it happens I do notice the first LED in the chain does slightly flicker RGB coloring but the rest are full white. The other weird thing is if I turn the lighting channel off in iCUE, I will see individual LED's flash a random color periodically like they are receiving data from something. It really makes no sense. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 PM
conj2323's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993917
conj2323 Reputation: 10

LED's will only stay at white, full intensity, when connected to lighting node pro, but work perfect if connected to commander pro.
I have this led strip - WS2812B 5V 5050 RGB LED Strip 5meter/150 leds - https://www.ebay.com/itm/WS2812B-5V-...72.m2749.l2649

I cut the strip to be 40 LED's, the same as 4 lengths of Corsair led strips. I ran a separate 5v power wire from the PC power supply and have the ground + data connected through the lighting channel connector. If I connect these to a lighting node pro, they will only light up white full intensity. I can't turn them off or change anything via software. I've tried both link and icue. Node is flashed with latest firmware. If I connect the strip to a 3-pin lighting channel on the corsair commander pro, they work perfect, full RGB. Anyone know why? I've tried multiple node pro's on 2 different systems, they only light up white.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 PM
ksj4477's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993927

I can get them to work and run the profile I have set in iCUE through the LNP but they periodically start randomly flashing red and blue then they go full white briefly and then go back to the set profile. I believe it’s some sort of interference or ripple in the data feed because if I lightly touch a bare data wire with my finger or the metal of a screwdriver it goes back to working perfectly without glitching. The solder joints all seem to be good so I don’t think it’s a loose connection. I believe it needs a resistor or capacitor on the line but I’m not sure which one or how it should be connected.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM
ksj4477's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksj4477 View Post
I can get them to work and run the profile I have set in iCUE through the LNP but they periodically start randomly flashing red and blue then they go full white briefly and then go back to the set profile. I believe it’s some sort of interference or ripple in the data feed because if I lightly touch a bare data wire with my finger or the metal of a screwdriver it goes back to working perfectly without glitching. The solder joints all seem to be good so I don’t think it’s a loose connection. I believe it needs a resistor or capacitor on the line but I’m not sure which one or how it should be connected.
Update:

I installed a 470 Ohm resistor on the data wire between the LNP and the lighting strip and it appears to have fixed the issue.