Corsair Community

Can't run 2 sticks of pc3200

Jolt1626861620

Background: MoBo SOYO sy-p4x400 Dragon Ultra running latest bios update. Windows XP/SP2. Have been running 2 sticks of CMX256 V1.1 for a year no problems in slots 1 and 2.

Wanted to upgrade to 1gig but since the versions are not the same as the 256 memory I was using I purchased two: CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202v5.1 0504004-2 XMS3200 512mb 400mhz CLS.

Problem is running both sticks together, I get windows blue screen message doing memory dump to protect windows from corruption. If I run either of the sticks by them selves everything runs fine. Ran Everest program by Lavalys and both have the same stats. I called your Corsair tech support and they assisted in the Bios config. 2.8v etc, they did want a couple settings at 3T but my bios only had 2T and 4T could that be a problem.

Why can't I run both sticks if they are exactly the same and the MoBo supports CMX up to 3gig. ??? Help

What do you have the memory frequency set to and what slots do you have the modules in? And please check that you have the latest bios for your MB.

Thanks for the quick reply. MoBo has the lastest Award Bios 5/16/03 that I know of available. Using slots 1 & 2 the same that the two 256 sticks were using.

BIOS SETTINGS: Dram Freq 200mhz, Latency 2, TRP 4T, TRAS 8T, TRCD 4T, Command rate 1T, Burst 8, Write recovery 2T, access time 2T, Voltage 2.8v..

My MoBo box says it supports only DDR 266/333 sdram but a sticker shows ddr400 support. Is it possible this board might support ddr400 but not in the 1gig or above amount?

Thanks again...

• Corsair Employee
The chipset used with this MB will only officially support DDR333, and when using 2 modules I doubt it would run stable with the memory running at DDR400 at Cass 2. That's just a limit of the chipset. However you can set the memory frequency at DDR333 and over clock the CPU slightly and still run DDR400 depending on the Video card you have, because this chipset does not have an AGP/PCI lock. But I would suggest you run the memory at DDR333 for best performance.

The chipset used with this MB will only officially support DDR333, and when using 2 modules I doubt it would run stable with the memory running at DDR400 at Cass 2. That's just a limit of the chipset. However you can set the memory frequency at DDR333 and over clock the CPU slightly and still run DDR400 depending on the Video card you have, because this chipset does not have an AGP/PCI lock. But I would suggest you run the memory at DDR333 for best performance.

Thanks, will try changing to DDR333 tonight. If that doesn't help will probably go the new MoBo route.

O' honey I really do have to upgrade the whole PC and not just the MoBo otherwise it won't run right... ;): :D:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far nothing has worked. Now I'm even getting Windows blue screen of death (memory dump) even in safe mode using only one 512meg stick... :bigeyes:

Just gave up and ordered an ASUS A8V Deluxe board with Athlon 64 3200+ chip.

I'M going to get this working if I have to upgrade everything in this case, including the case... :laughing: :roll: ;):

• 2 weeks later...
No problem, please let me know how you make out!

Wohoooo.. Thanks for the support.. I am again up and running with 1gig dual channel mem, changed to an ASUS A8V mobo and Athlon 64 3200+.. reloaded Windows.. I'm running everything in the BIOS at default settings is there anything I should change like the voltage?.. Should I just leave everything default since its running fine..

Probably went all down hill from the mixed up ram Versions on the first upgrade that hosed up windows.. Anyway all good now and thanks again... :sunglasse

• Corsair Employee

Please use these settings for reference:

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 11

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable!

Archived