Corsair Community

CMD16GX3M4A2400C11 - Z87 only?

jmike

I'm trying to put together a CHEAP build for a friend having a rough patch and with me having a spare 4790k as well as a 970 I thought I could get away with only purchasing a motherboard to get him gaming. Unfortunately that kit is the only DDR3 I have and when I tested it in my Maximus VII Formula there's not much I can do other than get into the bios. I should have written it down but the XMP is recognizing it as a completely different kit, setting voltage to only 1.5 and timings way off. I've tried to drop speed as well as opening up the timings but it will just crash trying to load into Windows. I've heard of finicky kits before but wow. Admittedly z87 is the only chipset listed on it's compatibility but this is the first time I've never at least been able to run DDR3 well under spec to work. Am I missing something VERY obvious?

Used probably isn't the correct term. It was definitely second hand. A few years ago I was helping a friend pick out some PC parts and didn't realize I had needed to be more detailed with my instructions. I had told recommended size, speed, and what brands I like but I didn't think to tell him "Check QVL". So he couldn't make it work with his board at the time. I felt a bit responsible so I swapped him my kit which was on the QVL for his. I then went on to use the kit in question on a z87 stinger without problem.

I meant to make this post last week which is why I said I should have written it down. Asus is in possession of the Maximus board for random Q-Code hanging so I can't give you that info. However when I get home tonight I could pop it in an older X58 or a Rampage IV and see what it reads.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely forgot about making this post. Here's a pic of the bios for this kit showing the XMP being incorrect.

Bios says 11-11-11-31@1.5v for the XMP but the kit is 11-13-13-31@1.65. It worked great for me on a 4770k system but is whack in this Z97 on both an Asus Maximus VII and EVGA Z97 Classified.

• Corsair Employee
I completely forgot about making this post. Here's a pic of the bios for this kit showing the XMP being incorrect.

Bios says 11-11-11-31@1.5v for the XMP but the kit is 11-13-13-31@1.65. It worked great for me on a 4770k system but is whack in this Z97 on both an Asus Maximus VII and EVGA Z97 Classified.

Try reflashing latest bioses on boards you're having issues with.

Try reflashing latest bioses on boards you're having issues with.

That was step number 1. I'm actually running 3 different bios versions on the Z97 classified and the picture I posted shows up no matter which is selected.

Archived