Corsair Community

[Idea] Anonymous OnKeyXX event

BelleGueule

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a Corsair RGB Keyboard and first thing i wanted to do was to create a heatmap of the keyboard.

sadly i dont see a way to "hook" the key event, (other than hooking windows and that's no good...)

I assumed that the reason there was no way to grab the key press was for safety reason.. nobody want to leave a big open door for keylogger. but why not expose an anonymous KeyPress KeyHold and KeyReleased event in the sdk, the keyboard handle the press and we can have fun with the shiny led.

exemple

void OnKeyPress(float r, float g, float b, float i){
  //do what you want here to change the color of the key without knowing witch key was pressed

}

EDIT: Feel Free to add your comment/idea

ps: i'm not a cpp programmer, I'm not sure how the structure would work but this is an example of how i see it in my head,

As far as I know parsing the HID-packages is the only way to capture all keys in the same way.

The other option would be to use the SDK for the G-keys and windows hooks for the rest.

The anonymous method you're talking about too wouldn't be of too much use. Since it would be only called on key press/release you couldn't even animate it to somehow fade away. Aside from that you couldn't do much more than a heatmap with it.

The anonymous method you're talking about too wouldn't be of too much use. Since it would be only called on key press/release you couldn't even animate it to somehow fade away. Aside from that you couldn't do much more than a heatmap with it.

there's still some animation that could be done(for example you light up the key that got press, and apply a fade off of all the key that have a intensity value of >0.XXf for a "rain effect" ) but it would still allow for malicious code to run base on the difference of intensity of the key.. so that's still no good..

I dont think you need to sweat the keylogger unless you're saving out every key you pressed. No one should have access to your private setup and particularly not to private memory and if they do, they do already or your new sdk application isn't going to facilitate that.

The 'heatmap' might be something you can get with a play from pressed key lighting effect in Cue? I love that effect in word and outlook, I have cue do a light blue fade away off the last pressed key on the letters.

But a heat map typically is a statistical representation of the most frequently pressed keys...right?

Archived