Corsair Community

H100 Thermal paste

KittyFungus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
We use Shin-Etsu Thermal compound on our coolers and I am not sure there is anything out there that is any better.

Actually I need to make a correction here we use Shin-Etsu on our H50 and H70 coolers but for the H60, H80 and H100 we are using thermal paste from Dow Corning Thermal Interface Material

While it looks impressive they have only done comparisons with a few compounds and what is the environment and the system configuration and coolers used.

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-mx2-ix-ssg/

http://skinneelabs.com/assets/images/TIM/2011/Master/Feb20/MasterMaster.png

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-mx2-ix-ssg/3/#

• Corsair Employee

I would agree to some extent with your conscious but from my own testing there is just not anything better than what we bundle with our coolers.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of other compounds that will work as good as but nothing I have seen works better. But good find and they have some good data to back it up. We normally do not allow promotion of other products but I think the data and test results speak for them selves I will leave this up.

I should also note I am in no way related to IX or its producer. In fact I havent even used the product myself. I was just linking to the information I had come across since I was recently researching TIM alternatives (versus the AS5 I've been using since forever). Thank you for being cool about it though. Besides, its not like you can pre-apply IX so it really isn't an alternative for what comes on the H series units. I'd agree that SE is one of the best choices for this specific use.

I'd love to try it with my H100, but again I am concerned with the compatibility issue. I will be sure to post up if I do manage to try it though. I believe someone on my home forum (EVGA) has used this with various H series coolers (as well as those "other" AIO units made by Asetek, but not the H80/H100 yet) without issue. I'll have to look info that further.

On a side note, as someone who ALWAYS second guesses his TIM application, the theory behind how the IX works (and tests relating to contact pressure) gives me a little piece of mind.

According to the IX site, it's compatible with the H60. Since the H100 seems to use the same retention mechanism, I would think that IX would work for the H100.

Unfortunately I had to remount my H100, and was forced to use AS5 since my SE TIM hadn't arrived yet. I may remount to apply the SE tim though...

According to the IX site, it's compatible with the H60. Since the H100 seems to use the same retention mechanism, I would think that IX would work for the H100.

Unfortunately I had to remount my H100, and was forced to use AS5 since my SE TIM hadn't arrived yet. I may remount to apply the SE tim though...

Where on the website does it says it's compatible with the H60?

it's just tim... it'll be 2-3 degress difference at most with almost whatevers on the market these days.

edit: if i may add its not how good ur TIM is it's how well you APPLY it that makes the difference.

Except it's not traditional TIM. And you really don't apply it because its not paste.

Mister why in the heck are you getting it from China? You can get it right here from California....

Also, do we know it's going to fit the H100?

That was just an expression for super slow ground bulk mail.

Youngd8:

http://www.indigo-xtreme.com/about.html

What is Indigo Xtreme?

Indigo Xtreme is an Engineered Thermal Interface (ETI) that fits neatly between a CPU lid and heat sink (or waterblock) to keep CPUs cooler. Unlike greases, metallic thermal interface pads or liquid metal alloys, Indigo Xtreme is a self-contained and sealed structure, deploying a Phase Change Metallic Alloy (PCMA) which reflows and fills surface asperities on the CPU lid and heat sink. The resultant interfacial layer is void-free and robust, with low thermal contact and bulk resistance.

How Indigo Xtreme Works:

The overall thermal performance of a thermal interface is the sum of the bulk thermal resistance (which is the inverse of bulk thermal conductance) of the material and its two surface contact resistances (on both the CPU lid and heat sink). Greases have good surface wetting properties and therefore they exhibit low contact resistance; however, they have high bulk thermal resistances. Metallic pads possess low bulk thermal resistances, but surface oxidation limits their surface wetting ability, resulting in higher contact resistance.

Indigo Xtreme achieves high thermal performance through the optimized deployment of molten, oxide-free PCMA, thereby yielding low contact resistance and low bulk resistance.

At the heart of the one-of-a-kind Indigo Xtreme ETI is a proven PCMA deployment structure. When heated (see Installation Guide), the sealed deployment structure directs flowing PCMA into CPU lid and heat sink micro-surface asperities while flushing out entrapped air. The asperity filling PCMA creates a corrosion-resistant hermetic (airtight) seal between the lid and heat sink, resulting in long-term reliability.

I'm actually considering this. The only thing that i am hesitant about is the application procedure. I'm not sure im crazy about firing up my rig without cooling , even for a few seconds. The second is the "reflow"procedure" that requires you to lay down the MB to a horizontal position. With my watercooling system that would be nearly impossible without having to drain my reservoir. It is also quite a lengthy procedure and if you make one little mistake , you have to start all over again at the expense of another application.

Just not sure all that is worth a few extra degrees*shrugs*

This guys video sums it up

This product has been out for quite some time. If there was an issue with the reflow process hurting components, there would be a flood of negative reviews/posts posts about it, but there aren't. As such, I do not see a reason to be worried, although I think your hesitation is a top reason as to why this product isn't more popular.

Also, most CPUs automatically throttle down once they hit TJ max.

Archived