Corsair Community

H105 hose/tube vibration

heavy

Hi,

I got H105 with 2 sp120 quiet edition fans.

My problem is the vibration of tubes. One tube is vibrating greatly while other is slightly. This ain't related to fans on radiator or any other fans in the system.

Pump itself hardly vibrates but i can feel vibration on the tubes mostly and less strongly on the top of the case. It doesnt make much of a noise or any noise but my case is attached to my desk so my desk is also vibrating a little.

Vibration on the desk feels like my cell phone is vibrating on the desk somewhere.

I tried to connect pump to a fan controller to reduce volt a bit, changing volt doesnt make any difference. Waht can i do? is it normal? This is my first water cooling kit.

First, do NOT alter the pump's speed with any kind of fan controller. The pump is designed to run at full speed all the time.

Second, normally, the tubes should not vibrate, or vibrate very little if at all. The pumps that Corsair uses are low-pressure pumps, so vibration should not be an issue. Perhaps there is something moving the tube? Check if the tube is touching anything (other than the pump and radiator). It could be touching the video card for example, and the video card's fan cooler may be vibrating the tube.

Thanks for inputs

I've 4 hdd that could be the source of vibration. To be sure, i disconnected all fans, hdd's. I even unmount the psu from case and put it outside the case.

I left only source (H105) inside. I even disconnected pump for 1-2 second to be absolutely sure. And pump is vibrating without a doubt. It's the 3/4 of the all vibration when all things working(it's a guess)

I tried to analyze the problem:

My case is coolermaster haf932. I mount radiator on top which is the weakest point of the case due to honeycombed structure. I guess, that's why only on top i could feel the vibration, bottom of it doesn't vibrate but transmit the energy to the desk it sits.

Pump itself and the back of cpu doesn't vibrate also, they just emit the energy next to weakest material.

My concerns or questions are

1. I have read that DIY water systems generally have pump vibration which could be solved by using foam covering it. But for AIO systems we cant isolate pump therefore some vibration is inevitable. Is this true?

2. My pump is not making any serious noise, most of it drains in the case, i couldn't hear it outside 1 meter away from it. When i closely listen to it, it gives a constant noise which indicates that it is healthy. But from vibration side, intensity of it increase and decrease like a sine wave cycle. I couldn't explain this also.

3. This unit works, i have no to little noise problem, this is my first AIO cooler, i could find out workaround for these problems (i hope so). I'm trying to determine what is normal, what should i expect

ps. I stopped gpu fan also it doesnt vibrate at all, it is the same for psu too

Hey!

I have exact same problem tho with H100i. Two weeks ago I bought 2 corsair H100i for 2 of my pc's. Followed all instructions and on pc2 all works fine without any vibrations. On my main pc tho I get exact same symptoms like you do. Tho one strange thing is that it happens only in load. While pc is idle or on light load, all is fine and quiet. Doesn't have any sense tho since everything works same in load or in idle. Fans are set on 700 rpm for all times. I'm 100% sure its water pump just can't exactly point finger and say its from this spot. Only thing which made it to stop was when I put whole case horizontally it stopped with vibrations. I tried changing fans (bought ANOTHER two 120 SPM performance) didn't make any change, tried connecting fans on MB so they are not connected to pump since I saw couple treads bout throttling pump and they said its mainly cause of fans and it didn't make any change. Tried changing Usb dongle on other slots on MB, no change. Tried to give pump its own power cable, no change. Tried adding rubber rings under radiator, no change. Vibrating slowly driving me crazy and I'm starting to regret I ever went to water cooling.... I could really use some help here before pump ends in trash can....

Hey!

I have exact same problem tho with H100i. Two weeks ago I bought 2 corsair H100i for 2 of my pc's. Followed all instructions and on pc2 all works fine without any vibrations. On my main pc tho I get exact same symptoms like you do. Tho one strange thing is that it happens only in load. While pc is idle or on light load, all is fine and quiet. Doesn't have any sense tho since everything works same in load or in idle. Fans are set on 700 rpm for all times. I'm 100% sure its water pump just can't exactly point finger and say its from this spot. Only thing which made it to stop was when I put whole case horizontally it stopped with vibrations. I tried changing fans (bought ANOTHER two 120 SPM performance) didn't make any change, tried connecting fans on MB so they are not connected to pump since I saw couple treads bout throttling pump and they said its mainly cause of fans and it didn't make any change. Tried changing Usb dongle on other slots on MB, no change. Tried to give pump its own power cable, no change. Tried adding rubber rings under radiator, no change. Vibrating slowly driving me crazy and I'm starting to regret I ever went to water cooling.... I could really use some help here before pump ends in trash can....

These are what i did

1. First i thought, radiator and tubes are vibrating since i cant feel any vibration on pump. I tried rubber isolaters between radiator and case ceiling, it didn't helped. I also tried "hanging" radiator with ropes to pc ceiling to eliminate contact. It didn't helped also. Because origin of the vibration is the pump (obviously) but you cant feel it when you touch the pump

2. I unmounted whole system, i turned radiator one way to other way to hear water is moving and hopefully some air to move upright

3. I also tried mounting pump hose up/hose down/hose sideways. The worst temps and vibration is when hoses are up. Some people suggested that hose down position is the best. I decided hose right position is enough both for the looks and temperatures. Vibration doesn't affected by hose down or sideways.

4. I tried supplying lower voltage to pump. I also measured cpu power connectors voltage (with voltmeter) which was 12.04. Giving 11 V to pump doesn't make any difference even 5V doesn't make any difference. I recently bought brand new Seasonic platinum 1000W psu it didn't make any difference too.

5. Yes, when it gets heated vibrations increase, i think that is because, some water transforms into gas. I tried rotating the case to different positions to at least lessen the vibration but no luck also.

Results

1. Shaking and rotating the radiator helps a bit since it helps moving air to top or moving water down, or both. I can definitely hear water is dripping trough metal.

2. Don't place pump hose up, it worsen the temperatures.

3. No to very little pump noise when pc case is closed. I put case on the ground so no more vibration on desk.

4. I should strongly point out that vibrations doesn't cause any noise,it just extremely annoys you when your hands are vibrating when you type and stuff. I'm surprised that one of your corsair doesnt vibrate and the other one vibrate when it gets heated. That should be the result of quality differences between the product line

Remarks

I bought this to replace large air cooler which was big and i couldn't rotate it due to other heatsinks and rams around cpu. It was blowing directly to memory and causing restarts due to high memory temps. This product solved this problem and added two new problem. Some pump noise i couldn't hear much and vibrations when pc case is touching my desk.

I still think a big air cooler could be less noisy (no vibrations) and efficient cooler when mounted on a big enough motherboard.

I suggest you don't use default fans, buy pressure optimized fans like noctua's or corsair's which are extremely silent even under load and heavy overclock.

Yeah, that makes me sure its not my fault for "bad installation" or something. Both pumps are bought same day from same store. One pump works really perfect, no noise, no vibrations. I left my main PC horizontally for 3 days and left it couple of times in full load so water heats up. Today i lift it back and it seems to help little but I can still feel vibrations.

I'm pretty sure my unit is faulty and when i get some time will require RMA since I have 2 pump which work very different and that tells me that one must be faulty.

Apparently vibration and buzzing was a more widespread issue with other Hydro series models that was traced to issues with some power supplies? I am definitely hearing a buzzing noise coming from my H105 pump, and the tubes are vibrating as well. The pump vibrates too, less so than the tubes, but still noticeably. Are these signs of a defective unit? Should I RMA it?

Buzzing is more related to fan connector and voltage issue with it. That seems is not issue in my case but annoying vibrations. Can't say for sure does it cause unit to malfunction later on or not but I'm sure I will not try to figure it out. Next week I will RMA it for sure since I have proof that it can work without vibrations (my second pc), and that kinda points it that my pump on main pc have some issues.

Actually the whole point of this topic was learning the experience of the users who used water cooling before whether closed system or do-it-yourself.

Unfortunately, this is my first water cooling system, I can't distinguish what is normal what is extraordinary.

All I can say is, it buzz a little but I can't hear outside of the case 1 meter away from it. Reducing voltage feeding the pump with a fan controller reduces buzzing proportionally to voltage but there is no sweet spot for voltage as some people suggested in different threads.

I doubt it's voltage or PSU related since I measured voltage on two different psus one of which is brand new. It's not even bothering me anymore since I moved the case away from my desk. I'm just curious, is it possible to have a vibration or buzz free water cooling system

Archived