Corsair Community

G Keys + Profiles

CaseyYoung

Hello,

On the old K95 RBG, you had 18 G Keys + 3 profiles for a total of 54 G Keys.

The new K95 RBG Platinum has 6 G Keys only, but still 3 profiles.

Does this mean you still have a total of 18 G Keys (6 x 3) or are the profiles just RGB profiles?

Thanks in advance,

Casey

There are 3 hardware profiles that can be saved to the device and used without CUE, plus an untold number that can be used with CUE. It is still 6 physical switches, so this would require hitting the profile button on the keyboard (one way series switching) and cycling to the next profile with the needed macro or key function. I suppose it might be feasible if you kept the number of profiles low (2-3) and were relatively astute at keeping track. You can set the keys to different colors to let you know which profile you are on, but all of this would be more complex than an existing set of 18 dedicated keys.
  • Confused 1

There are 3 hardware profiles that can be saved to the device and used without CUE, plus an untold number that can be used with CUE. It is still 6 physical switches, so this would require hitting the profile button on the keyboard (one way series switching) and cycling to the next profile with the needed macro or key function. I suppose it might be feasible if you kept the number of profiles low (2-3) and were relatively astute at keeping track. You can set the keys to different colors to let you know which profile you are on, but all of this would be more complex than an existing set of 18 dedicated keys.

Thank you!

Another questions: I just learned that the keyboard is fully programmable.

I assume that if you change a keybind, it's for a specific profile.

I want to ask if this is how it works, just to be sure.

For example: I want profile 1 to be my default keyboard.

I want profile 2 to be my Photoshop specific keyboard.

For hardware saving, they profiles are clearly labeled HW1, HW2, HW3. The keyboard profile button will cycle them 1-2-3-1... etc. If using CUE, the top listed profile is the default and the profile button will cycle down them 1 to X and then back up to the top. This is why you would not want a huge number of profiles if trying to make frequent use of multiple profile G keys binds. In your example, if you just have those two it will go A-B-A-B every time you hit the profile key.

What you can bind is fairly extensive from macros to app launches to basic key changes. I don't make huge use of this feature beyond simple key mapping, so perhaps someone who is a Photoshop user can add to the discussion about useful binds. Yes, key binds are profile specific.

• 1 year later...
Hello,

On the old K95 RBG, you had 18 G Keys + 3 profiles for a total of 54 G Keys.

The new K95 RBG Platinum has 6 G Keys only, but still 3 profiles.

Does this mean you still have a total of 18 G Keys (6 x 3) or are the profiles just RGB profiles?

Thanks in advance,

Casey

Hi Casey

I just started another thread with similar questions, as I am also looking at the K95 Platinum with Photoshop in mind. I currently use a Logitech G910 with three banks of nine g-keys that can be further toggled two ways with G-Shift via a mouse button. So 54 in total.

If you went ahead with the K95, how well does switching profiles to give you more functions work?

Does iCUE recognize, which application currently has focus, and automatically switch profile?

Are the three profiles switchable from the profile key, per application? I'd better clarify I'm thinking. Are there three separate profiles for every application, or three profiles in total (which does not seem likely)

Can you set key colour individually per key? For instance, in SketchUp, I can never remember which cursor key controls which axis, so I set the appropriate colour for the top three cursor keys.

Does iCUE recognize, which application currently has focus, and automatically switch profile?

It does, but this is a double edge sword. It will always switch to the program in focus. This can be jarring or otherwise undesirable in some circumstances.

Are the three profiles switchable from the profile key, per application? I'd better clarify I'm thinking. Are there three separate profiles for every application, or three profiles in total (which does not seem likely)

The "three profiles" are hardware profiles and only work when the software is not running. Based on your questions, it is likely you will want the software running to maximize your customization, macro, and assignment options. Program detection will only work in software mode. Hardware mode is manual toggle only. In software mode you can create an essentially infinite number of profiles, each with its own macros, lighting, etc. However, you can only bind one to a program, without getting creative. It is possible to create smaller groups of profiles (say 5 for a particular program) and then manually cycle between only those 5 with a keyboard button. I find this to be more useful than focus shifting.

Can you set key colour individually per key? For instance, in SketchUp, I can never remember which cursor key controls which axis, so I set the appropriate colour for the top three cursor keys.

All keys can be set individually.