Corsair Community

Very disappointed with corsair

userfromCN

Hi guys,

I used to buy corsair mem for my company, it's good,

while this time I bought corsair power supply, it's a nightmare!

I have 6 machine in a house, every machine's hardware configuration are the same. 4*HD5850, lower video cards mem frequency to 300MHZ to decrease the power load, totally it's less than 700W/machine. I don't have anyone work in that house and I want the machines runs safely, so I chose twin CX600 to supply a machine. Is that enough? The answer is NO!

Two auxiliary power supplies died in the first week and another one died in the next week, I don't know why, they just stopped, no any output..., I replace them but in 2 months three main power supplies burned, take a look at the pic attached, the cables and contacts are melted and my motherboards are wasted.

Where are your overload protection and aging test? Is your power supply SAFE?

What disappointed me most is your service, when I posted the pics to the retailer, he asked corsair in China contact me directly, I told that guy everything about my machines and asked him why it happened, he said he would give me a reply in that day, but I didn't get any call from him then. I drived more than 15KM to the retailer in the next day, but the retailer said he was told that the engineer from Taiwan would come to my city to solve the problem, it's good, right? But I found they were kidding me. My machines are idling for more than a week and no one contact me again, I called the retailer, he said he got a message from corsair to ask me two questions, the first is what's the specification of parallel device, that's amazing, did Corsair suggests put two PC power suppliers in parallel? Did your tech support in China really know the meaning of two power supply in one PC very well?

I have three questions:

1. Is the quality of power supply on sale in China as good as in other countries?

2.When can I get the real tech support?

3.What can I do if I have a complaint or you don't have the department to deal with the complaints?

I'm in Wuhan City, China. My email is yijiaotu@gmail.com

DSC00326.thumb.JPG.e217fcae8d8019a2ed6d0f086b2fd69d.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Yes

2. Here or call Corsair Directly

3. Not sure

Submit a RMA and state what happened to your PSUS.

Not sure about your retailer either hes lying or Its someone not from Corsair. Tell him to give you proof that Corsair asked those questions.

I would also check your Wall socket. have you overclocked the CPU?. The picture looks like it over-volted or something.

Post your System specs please.

motherboard: colorful 890fx

It seems that it's not on sale outside of China.

CPU AMD Athlon II 240

MEM Kinston 2G*1

HARDDISK HITACHI 20g

Actually I just use GPUs to do some calculation so I never overclocked the CPU and as you know the power supply to the CPU is a 8-PIN plug.

The melted cables are +12V output, I can accept if the PSUs shut down or burn the fuse but not melted, that means it can fire my house and neighbors anytime, right?

• Corsair Employee

Please submit the RMA and then contact our customer service they will explain the process to you and we do not have end user tech support out side of the USA sorry!

And no even if there is a direct short all MB and electronics must pass certification to Not Catch Fire. They might make a lot of smoke but they are not supposed to bust into flames.

And how many Video cards are in the system?

Looks as though there were impurities inside the wires that blew out when they reached the flash point. The insulation is definitely charred and blows outward from the twisted pairs. The wire itself looks allot better than what it could have been which indicates to me that what ever contaminant was present it was under the insulation.

That's just my take on it.

I had a couple years manufacturing, assembly, welding and Q&A, but I am no fire marshal, electrician or power supply expert. Ultimately, Corsair would be able to pinpoint the and identify any of the specifics.

I hope everything gets better for you at any rate.

Please submit the RMA and then contact our customer service they will explain the process to you and we do not have end user tech support out side of the USA sorry!

And no even if there is a direct short all MB and electronics must pass certification to Not Catch Fire. They might make a lot of smoke but they are not supposed to bust into flames.

And how many Video cards are in the system?

I gave the broken PSUS to the retailer, at the beginning he said he can replace them but when I drove there he said no, I think it's corsair in China stopped him.

I've contacted the customer service after this post, it seems that I can only wait.....

Well, since corsair don't have tech support outside USA, the engineer from Taiwan is a lie, right?

I have 4 HD5850 connect to the motherboard directly or by PCIE16X-1X cable, I measured the power load and I'm very sure it won't overload the PSU.

Looks as though there were impurities inside the wires that blew out when they reached the flash point. The insulation is definitely charred and blows outward from the twisted pairs. The wire itself looks allot better than what it could have been which indicates to me that what ever contaminant was present it was under the insulation.

That's just my take on it.

I had a couple years manufacturing, assembly, welding and Q&A, but I am no fire marshal, electrician or power supply expert. Ultimately, Corsair would be able to pinpoint the and identify any of the specifics.

I hope everything gets better for you at any rate.

Thank you.

My friend checked the corsair PSU parameters and he told me the cable used in the PSU is 12V*20A(I don't know how to say that correctly in English, sorry), and two cables are far enough. I bought 12 PSUS and half of them died in two months. Well, what can I say......

I'll post the explanation from Corsair here if I can get one.

Thank you.

My friend checked the corsair PSU parameters and he told me the cable used in the PSU is 12V*20A(I don't know how to say that correctly in English, sorry), and two cables are far enough. I bought 12 PSUS and half of them died in two months. Well, what can I say......

I'll post the explanation from Corsair here if I can get one.

I think that is the MAX spec for the plug. The Power cable that comes with the PSU is a 12A Output.

I gave the broken PSUS to the retailer, at the beginning he said he can replace them but when I drove there he said no, I think it's corsair in China stopped him.

I've contacted the customer service after this post, it seems that I can only wait.....

Well, since corsair don't have tech support outside USA, the engineer from Taiwan is a lie, right?

I have 4 HD5850 connect to the motherboard directly or by PCIE16X-1X cable, I measured the power load and I'm very sure it won't overload the PSU.

If you have submitted an RMA. get the PSUS back from the retailer and sent it back to Corsair when they ask for it. The engineer from Taiwan is most likely a lie because if he was a fully certified engineer he wouldn't ask if the PSUS are in Parallel.

My friend checked the corsair PSU parameters and he told me the cable used in the PSU is 12V*20A

Im almost certain that where he is at the voltage 240v. So a 20 amp cable is a possibility. Let me know if this is correct userfromCN. It really wouldn't matter. As long as it is the cable that came with the PSU, there should be no issue there.

This could be the problem right here. The 650 is no where near a strong enough PSU to run four of those cards.

The engineer from Taiwan is most likely a lie because if he was a fully certified engineer he wouldn't ask if the PSUS are in Parallel.

Sorry Toasted... This is totally a valid question. Considering he was running four video cards running two PSU's in parallel would be a viable option to power all four cards. It's quite common in the OC community.It doesn't mean he was , but if ,that could be a potential problem. Running 4 cards off of one is a problem. If this is the case then he is just pulling way too many amps and thus frying components.

Components connected in parallel are connected so the same voltage is applied to each component

The current in a series circuit goes through every component in the circuit. Therefore, all of the components in a series connection carry the same current. There is only one path in a series circuit in which the current can flow.

The same voltage is applicable to all circuit components connected in parallel. The total current I is the sum of the currents through the individual components,

Im almost certain that where he is at the voltage 240v. So a 20 amp cable is a possibility. Let me know if this is correct userfromCN. It really wouldn't matter. As long as it is the cable that came with the PSU, there should be no issue there.

That's correct, in China the voltage is 220V@50HZ, but I don't think it's a problem. The cable I talked were +12V output cables,the melted cables

This could be the problem right here. The 650 is no where near a strong enough PSU to run four of those cards.

I know very well it happened because the +12V cables were overloaded, even if my measurement is wrong, why the PSU overload protection was not working? Can you image the overload protection point is higher than the cable limit?

Sorry Toasted... This is totally a valid question. Considering he was running four video cards running two PSU's in parallel would be a viable option to power all four cards. It's quite common in the OC community.It doesn't mean he was , but if ,that could be a potential problem. Running 4 cards off of one is a problem. If this is the case then he is just pulling way too many amps and thus frying components.

Components connected in parallel are connected so the same voltage is applied to each component

The current in a series circuit goes through every component in the circuit. Therefore, all of the components in a series connection carry the same current. There is only one path in a series circuit in which the current can flow.

The same voltage is applicable to all circuit components connected in parallel. The total current I is the sum of the currents through the individual components,

I can barely discuss this deeply with my Chinglish :biggrin:.

Well, my option is the PSUS inside are different, connect PSUS in parallel may damage the PSUS and motherboard, it's just my option and it's not the key point in this case. I gave the retailer two pics, the other one is melted motherboard 24PIN connector. Obviously, I connect the PSU 24PIN directly to the motherboard.

Can you image what's the second question from Corsair in China? Actually it's not a question but a message: "We don't suggest u use two PSUS in one PC", I think the two messages together is an expression in Chinese way: "It's your fault, don't bother me again." I cannot accept this, never!

I'm now confused on what kind of Setup the OP has.

So is he running 6 computers in a house. and one computer has the 4 GPU cards and with two power supplies OR there is six computers with each one having a GPU card and the other two on onboard video.

If he has the 4 GPUS in one computer and 2 PSUS, it would be better to know how he connected the PSUS to the computer by e.g First PSU was for the motherboard, EPS connector, hard drives and optical drives, while the second PSU was for the 4 graphics card.

If it was connected as mentioned above how would the second PSU turn on?

Or was the Motherboard drawing to much power to the PCI-E slots.

And for the Overload protection did the PSU automatically turn off? Did you find your or Computer turned off? If yes then the overload protection took place and turned off the PSU.

Or there was a bang, noise and smell. then the Overload protection did not turn off the psu.

Or there was only a smell and the PSu did not turn off then it was not overloaded and it may be heat that damaged it.

so you used one or more of these?http://www.microsatacables.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PCI-E16X-EXTN2.jpg

the wires are much thinner and i would expect that cable to fry way before the ATX cable.

are the traces on the motherboard fried as well?

I use one on each motherboard, at the beginning I do worried about the wires but they works very well, nothing happened.

I went to my house this afternoon and measure the power load again.

Main PSU connected to the motherboard(24PIN), CPU power supply(8PIN), 2*HD5850(PCIE).

Second PSU connected to 2*HD5850(PCIE), hard drive.

Each HD5850 decreases VIDEO RAM frequency to 300MHZ.

The result is main PSU 472W, second PSU 215W.

I remember the hard drive power load is about 10W and AMD 240 is about 60W.

I don't know the power loss on the PSU.

So...

I'd like to show you the video if youtube is not blocked by Chinese GOV.:sigh!:

i thought you already shot a video?

Pictures are OK

-As Synthohol mentioned we will need a picture of the system with the 2 PSUS.

-Wall Socket??

I really don't know what pictures or videos are needed, So take a picture of the complete computer first.

Sorry, I think my bad English mislead you. I have two pics in my mobile phone, not very clear and no detail.

Well, I'll post them after my dinner.

Archived