Corsair Community

Corsair 100D Radiator compatibility

Hannibal Lecter

I would like to know the max radiator width available using the radiator tray.

Looking at the tray the space between the 2 radiators seems quite small. The few build I have seen so far are using alphacool radiators that are rather narrow.

However HWLabs nemesis GTX, SR2 or EK XE series are up to 134 mm wide.

Can someone at Corsair or maybe a current owner let me know if the above radiators fit in the 1000D.

Finally, is it possible to buy an additional 4x120 tray to replace the one on top and have 2x360 at the top and 2x480 at the front?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to know the max radiator width available using the radiator tray.

Looking at the tray the space between the 2 radiators seems quite small. The few build I have seen so far are using alphacool radiators that are rather narrow.

However HWLabs nemesis GTX, SR2 or EK XE series are up to 134 mm wide.

Can someone at Corsair or maybe a current owner let me know if the above radiators fit in the 1000D.

Finally, is it possible to buy an additional 4x120 tray to replace the one on top and have 2x360 at the top and 2x480 at the front?

Thanks

I'm curious about the same thing I'm looking into getting hardware labs sr2 480mm x4 but I'm not sure if the case is wide enough to fit 2 side by side on top and front.

Any thoughts?

As a owner who just put GTR in, it won’t fit properly, you don’t have the width space.

You won't be able to fit another 4 x 120 Fan tray up top BUT you can purchase a second 8x 120 Fan Tray and install it up there.

Can confirm that if you purhcase the second 8 x 120mm, you can put 2x 360mm radiator ontop and 2x 480mm radiator on the front. I can also confirm that depending on your height of your front radiator and thickness in your top radiator that you can put 4 x 480mm radiator (which I'm doing now)

Thank you for the replies.

So basically I have to use Alphacool or other narrow radiators to fit in the trays. So HWL, EK and XSPC radiators are out of the question.

Using the tray image to measure the space between radiators (knowing that screw spacing for a 120mm fan is 105mm), it looks like the max width for a radiator using the tray is 126mm. So only 2x Alphacool ut60 480, 2x Bitspower Leviathan XF 480 or 2x Coolgate 480 can fit in this tray...

That's really annoying and seems like a curious oversight from Corsair for such a wide case :confused:

If you currently own this case do you think the trays can be modded to fit all radiators?

Thanks

So basically I have to use Alphacool or other narrow radiators to fit in the trays. So HWL, EK and XSPC radiators are out of the question.

Using the tray image to measure the space between radiators (knowing that screw spacing for a 120mm fan is 105mm), it looks like the max width for a radiator using the tray is 126mm. So only 2x Alphacool ut60 480, 2x Bitspower Leviathan XF 480 or 2x Coolgate 480 can fit in this tray...

That's really annoying and seems like a curious oversight from Corsair for such a wide case :confused:

If you currently own this case do you think the trays can be modded to fit all radiators?

Thanks

Anything is possible with a little bit of elbow grease. Months ago when I built my system I had to use a drill and tins nips to get my case the way I wanted it. I have no first hand experience with the 1000D, though a limiting factor is the fan tray cut outs. Usually the limiting factor with a custom loop's rad is the length overall. The end caps can bump into things and might not always work, even when you figured out the math. Some companies get more performance out of the rads by making them a little wider, Hardware Labs for instance. Water cooling in general is kind of an outlier, having a double wide is even more so.

You can always try to fabricate things, I bet there is room, though it might not be that easy. You would have to be comfortable doing this type of mod. It is just hard to account for everything as there is no standard sizing in radiators, other than the size of fans they take.

BTW If you are in the US, there some killer holiday sales going on FrozenCpu has a 20% sale and PPCs has 12%. It is a good time to stock up on rads, fittings, etc. I tend to put a shopping list as they only do sales around US holidays as custom water cooling is not cheap :(

Thanks

By the way, here is a list of Rads I was analyzing these are the core sizes, so the overall width will be different. Though it should give you a good relative idea of should be small enough to fit into your rad trays, if you don't want to go mod crazy. Just make sure you double check and look at the overall width, before you buy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33590&d=1530293243

radcomp.PNG.bcfbe5067a0553d601a19072cd11ff65.PNG

Thank you all for the info.

However I just saw a Korean youtube video showing 2x 480 EK radiators using the front 1000D tray [ame=

]
[/ame]. I don't speak Korean but it's self explanatory. So maybe there's some hope :biggrin:

It would be nice if someone from Corsair could chime in and let us know for sure what radiators we can use.

Thank you all for the info.

However I just saw a Korean youtube video showing 2x 480 EK radiators using the front 1000D tray

. I don't speak Korean but it's self explanatory. So maybe there's some hope :biggrin:

It would be nice if someone from Corsair could chime in and let us know for sure what radiators we can use.

I am at work so I can't view it right now. Extreme rigs, brought a lot of love with their good tests of the HW Labs radiators. I love my HW Labs GTS 360, though if I was going to build a system in a case that could house a small family, I would use a low density FPI Radiator. Assuming you have looked at xtreme rigs, you will see that low FPI rads out perform denser rads for fans at low RPMs. If you doing a build with two systems with 4x480mm rads and a total of 4 blocks, you are already doubling the rule of thumb.

With your size, I would consider a lot of options and I would highly consider looking at the push or push/pull low RPM graphs to help make you decide. There is no best, it is all relative. The question, is what is best for your situation? With that amount of cooling area, if you set your fan curves properly, you will not see them spin fast enough to benefit you at higher RPMs of 1300 or 1850.

push750-3.png?resize=700%2C911&ssl=1

pp750_av.png?resize=700%2C877&ssl=1

Thanks.

I have seen these tests and I own 2 nemesis GTX480. I love these radiators, they can be used with very low spinning fans and work equally well when you increase the revs. And the build quality is really good. I have had swiftech rads and EK rads (both good) but HWL radiators are just really better made.

I was going to buy either 2 more GTX 480 or 2 GTX 360, that's why I need to know if they can fit or if I will need to mod the tray.

Hopefully an owner of the 1000D or someone from Corsair can give me the exact dimension of the tray or, even better if two HWL radiators can fit.

Thanks.

I have seen these tests and I own 2 nemesis GTX480. I love these radiators, they can be used with very low spinning fans and work equally well when you increase the revs. And the build quality is really good. I have had swiftech rads and EK rads (both good) but HWL radiators are just really better made.

I was going to buy either 2 more GTX 480 or 2 GTX 360, that's why I need to know if they can fit or if I will need to mod the tray.

Hopefully an owner of the 1000D or someone from Corsair can give me the exact dimension of the tray or, even better if two HWL radiators can fit.

Do you need detail measurements, do you already have the case? I to agree that HW Labs build quality is amazing. Other rads fins bend easily when u are installing them. Both Switech and Magicool have some bent fins, not my HW Labs.

I don't think u will get this detailed info from Corsair, you might be able to get details from a fellow builder.

Do you need detail measurements, do you already have the case? I to agree that HW Labs build quality is amazing. Other rads fins bend easily when u are installing them. Both Switech and Magicool have some bent fins, not my HW Labs.

I don't think u will get this detailed info from Corsair, you might be able to get details from a fellow builder.

I don't own the case yet. I need to find out if I can use my rads with it. If you do own the 1000D, could you measure the tray please or maybe find out if 2 of your HWL rads fit in there?

Thanks a lot for your help :biggrin:

I don't own the case yet. I need to find out if I can use my rads with it. If you do own the 1000D, could you measure the tray please or maybe find out if 2 of your HWL rads fit in there?

Thanks a lot for your help :biggrin:

Hi, I got the case recently and also decided to go 4x480s, I am using HWLabs 480GTS they are definitely too wide for the trays(4-5mm extra) due to side bends.

However, I cut them and was able to fit width wise. Also, I noticed that it's not possible to do 40mm+ rads top and front due to rad height. my GTS fits with about 7-8mm left(only using push with Corsair LL 120's)

Hi, I got the case recently and also decided to go 4x480s, I am using HWLabs 480GTS they are definitely too wide for the trays(4-5mm extra) due to side bends.

However, I cut them and was able to fit width wise. Also, I noticed that it's not possible to do 40mm+ rads top and front due to rad height. my GTS fits with about 7-8mm left(only using push with Corsair LL 120's)

Thanks!!

So 2x 480 push or pull + rads on top and 2x 480 push or pull in front is possible?

If so I am buying the case!!

With 4x 480 I don't think you need the rads in push/pull configuration :D:

Thanks!!

So 2x 480 push or pull + rads on top and 2x 480 push or pull in front is possible?

If so I am buying the case!!

With 4x 480 I don't think you need the rads in push/pull configuration :D:

Yes but the rads cannot be more than 38mm thick or ~124mm wide(if it is you will have to cut the tray sides)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a video of a 1000D build in which the builder fit 2 EK Coolstream XE 480s in the front fan tray. Apparently without any mods to the front fan tray. He also fit 1 EK CoolStream CE 420 at the top, although he had to make a minor case mod for that.

Some cool information about radiator fitment in this case. Very worth watching, at least, the last two vids (below) for folks planning builds in the 1000D.

So there are four videos the his Obsidian 1000D build series:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

The XE 480 dimensions are: 520 x 130 x 60 (LxWxH). He has them installed as push-pull using ML120 fans (which are 25mm thick). So total front-tray cooling package thickness is 110mm.

He also installed an EK Coolstream 420 (pull config) at the top which is a 45mm thick radiator. However, while the radiator itself fit, he could only install ML140s in the rearmost 2 fan-positions of the radiator. The forward-most ML140 wouldn't.

He also described drilling out he rivets that hold the 3.5" drive cage rivets out so he could remove that cage to free up space for water-cooling stuff. Which I think I may wind up doing as well - not sure yet.

Anyway, I found all four videos interesting, with the last two videos extremely worth watching. I hope this helps folks wondering what might fit, radiator-wise.

Yes but the rads cannot be more than 38mm thick or ~124mm wide(if it is you will have to cut the tray sides)

Did you try to install the radiators directly to the fan tray? Or did you install fans into the fan tray, and the radiator to the fans?

I ask because, if you install the fans to the tray, and the radiator to the fans, then the bends in the fan tray become irrelevant because the fans raise the radiator 25mm from the fan tray - and the ends in the fan tray do not extend more than maybe 5 or 8mm or so.

Check the last couple videos in my post just above. He fit 130mm wide radiators in the front (60mm thick rad in push-pull config) and didn't appear to have to mod the fan tray to do so.

The HWL Nemesis GTX is 133mm wide (only 3mm wider than the EK rads). So I would guess it should also work side-by-side in the fan-tray as long as fans are installed to the tray first, similar to how the guy from the videos above did it.

He actually eliminated the top fan tray in order to squeeze a 45mm thick radiator (pull config only) in without it being jammed up against the front radiator/fan combo. A cool workaround for the problem of getting reasonably thick rads at top and front of the case.

I am in the same boat: I am planning for 2x HWL Nemesis 480 GTX (or GTS) in the front and 2 480 GTS in the top. Push only config with bequiet SW120 fans.

Do you guys think this will work? I plan on mounting the fans on the tray and then the rads

Have you ordered a 8x120 top fan tray from Corsair? I've been trying to order one, but haven't had any success. I think their website might be broken for that particular part. Been working with Corsair customer service on it.

Anyway, I think it might be very tight in the upper front of the case where the rads meet. I think I'm likely to do 2 480s plus 2 360s to avoid cramming too much in the upper front.

OTOH, in my situation, I need some good airflow over the entire motherboard. Even though I'm planning push/pull on all rads (if it's feasible), I'm not sure the warmed airflow that will result will be enough to keep my PCH and M.2 SSD cool.

In theory, just using intake fans across the bottom of the front fan tray would pull in cool air which will be pulled up across the motherboard to the upper rear where my two exhaust fans are. But then I'm back to things potentially being very tight at the top-front of the case where the top 480s and front 360s would meet.

So... yeah. I'm still pondering.

Meanwhile, I guess I've been no help whatsoever w/regards to your question. Sorry.

No, thinking aloud is helpful. I have the same worries about airflow, which is why I will get a block for the mb not just the cpu, and also water cool my m2. ssd...

Have you ordered a 8x120 top fan tray from Corsair? I've been trying to order one, but haven't had any success. I think their website might be broken for that particular part. Been working with Corsair customer service on it.

Anyway, I think it might be very tight in the upper front of the case where the rads meet. I think I'm likely to do 2 480s plus 2 360s to avoid cramming too much in the upper front.

OTOH, in my situation, I need some good airflow over the entire motherboard. Even though I'm planning push/pull on all rads (if it's feasible), I'm not sure the warmed airflow that will result will be enough to keep my PCH and M.2 SSD cool.

In theory, just using intake fans across the bottom of the front fan tray would pull in cool air which will be pulled up across the motherboard to the upper rear where my two exhaust fans are. But then I'm back to things potentially being very tight at the top-front of the case where the top 480s and front 360s would meet.

So... yeah. I'm still pondering.

Meanwhile, I guess I've been no help whatsoever w/regards to your question. Sorry.

Archived