Corsair Community

replaced TX850W psu with TX850 V2 now computer randomly shuts off

klabef

recently had my old psu die on me and my friend let me use a spare tx850w psu and everything worked fine until I replaced it with a new tx850 v2 psu (could not find a tx850w on sale) and now my computer randomly shuts off as if I pulled the power cable this tends to mostly happen shortly after I start up a game but will also happen at desktop after a much longer period of time.

I returned the first tx850 v2 thinking it was DOA had it tested at the shop and it tested okay now the new one is having the same problem beginning to think its a compatibility issue or that something changed between the tx850w and the tx850 v2 psu's that I am not catching.

I am do not know computer hardware very well and the fixes i have tried so far have not worked I am sure i have missed something

"also when i put the old TX850W back in everything works fine again"

• Corsair Employee
The Old TX750 is ATX 2.01 to ATX 2.2 and the new TX750 is ATX 2.3 backwards compatible to ATX 2.1. That is the only difference I would check with MSI and make sure that you have the latest MB BIOS and see what they suggest.

updated bios to the current version and still having shutdowns i know it works in a different and my computer runs fine with the tx850w there has to be some compatibility issue somewhere. going to try motherboard website searches web searches don't seem to come up with anything

just noticed the psu fan is not spinning is that normal?

update: had computer on for about 8 hours straight playing video no shutdown it only does it when run game programs for some reason

• Corsair Employee
I understand and I am sorry but we can try and replace the PSU just in case it is a problem with the PSU since the older version works. Please use the link on the left and request an RMA if you want to try and replace it or see if the reseller will replace it since you just purchased it.

nvm found the problem was using old power supply cable instead of the new much bigger one. this is one of the first things i tested but it seems i just tested wrong by plugged into power strip and not the wall. now that i am plugging the psu directly into the wall i was able to run a game application without it turning off

scratch that its back somehow

Archived