Corsair Community

Please I'm Going Crazy!!

Renoka

I have spent nearly 2 days combing forums, various ones, and can't get solid answers. x32 firmware not gonna happen I think.

OK. I have (2) x32's. Windows 7 64bit, Asus a8n32 sli deluxe, 4 gigs ram, 500gig hdd backup drive. Latest bios, etc. Not sure what firmware for x32 but no new firmware that supports TRIM so doesn't matter. Also I think Corsair should tell people that if you put OS on these you will be re-installing it ALOT.

Questions and please bear with me as I greatly appreciate your time.

1. I would like to RAID-0 the (2) x32?

2. Can you simply erase free space to recover performance? Will it work RAIDed?

3. Should I RMA for P-series?

4. Should I even bother with these drives or get (2) Velociraptors and RAID them?

Again Thanks For Your Time!

I just joined this particular forum, but I'll give it at try.

1. You can raid-0 the two drives, which would effectively double available space for you operating system and some applications. The problem is if a drive fails you lose everything. Back up you drive.

2. I don't know what you are getting at. Setting up raid will require a format and I'm not sure if you can recover performance on those drives. Maybe someone will know.

3. I don't think Corsair will upgrade to a P128 with a RMA.

4. Now you are talking. With your system specs, Velociraptors make more sense. I have run Raptors in Raid 0 for years and they are fast and dependable. Not fast like Raided P128s of course.

Good luck,

Zizzman

1. I would like to RAID-0 the (2) x32?

2. Can you simply erase free space to recover performance? Will it work RAIDed?

3. Should I RMA for P-series?

4. Should I even bother with these drives or get (2) Velociraptors and RAID them?

Again Thanks For Your Time!

Keep in mind that TRIM does not work with RAID so that is a moot point anyway.

1: Is there a question here?

2: Covered in the X Series sticky: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81189

3. We do not exchange X series drives for P series drives.

4. These drives will be exceptionally faster than 2 VRs.

I have an x32 and did a ton of work to figure out how they work, and how to keep my drive working at it's best. From what I have read no TRIM functions work with raid for any m/f. After much research and trial and error tests I have came up with a painless method of restoring my drive to it's original factory virgin speed which is detailed in a couple othre threads so I do not want to repeat it here. The entire process takes less than 1/2 and hour.

Acronis does an amazing job of backup and restore which aids in restoring the drive.

In pure sequential performance the drive is over twice as fast as my raptor. In random they are not on the same playing field, the SSD blows irt away.

TRIM function will be coming very soon. It has been confirmed that a working firmware adding TRIM is complete, the only hold up is deployment utility. Other m/f using the Barefoot controler offer firmware updates but their flash routines are not perfected and therefore can cause issues. Corsair has confirmed that they are working with Indilinx to release a stable method of end users flashing their drives to the new TRIM enabled firmware without risk of issues with the drive.

Archived