Corsair Community

AX1200I issue

masterskop

My AX1200i is dying atm. It started last week after having it since 2014. I'm guess after reading several postings at this forum, that the 1200i doesn't have a long life. I ran the psu without the link. I didn't think that it was necessary until last week. The psu got really hot and did a bunch of restarts. I was able to leave it alone for several days and then decided to reapply paste to the cpu and two gpus and ran a test on the pumps before connecting the 24 pin connector to the mobo. The pumps ran. I was able to get the computer back up and running. I connected the link and found the psu's fan wasn't running at all no matter how high the temp got. It only ran at startup and then quit. I downloaded the latest link software and ran it. Mind you that I did not know about the hardware monitor software and other utilities that were running. I didn't know that one needed to uninstall those programs! But, I don't think that it mattered either. I've ran those programs for years without a problem on this computer. Well, back to the matter at hand. I ran the link program and was able to get the fan to run at 60% full time. After taking everything out and reinstalling everything and letting the computer run for a few hrs, it did it again. I was able to get to the desktop before the massive rebooting. I was not able to change the fan settings. It stayed at "0" rpm. I don't think it is a software issue. I believe that it is a hardware issue. I believe that the digital part of the psu is messed up due to a heating issue of the components. Since the 'time of life' of a psu is roughly 5 years I'm presuming that this psu is dying a slow death. I've order another 1200i. I believe that Corsair does have a good product. However; I wish the components would last 10 years!

I was running the following:

Asus Rampage IV Black edition w/ 4930K processor

2x 780ti Kingpins

2x xspc water pumps

3x Samsung SSDs

12x fans for the radiators

1x external cdrom

1x Asus Centurion 7.1 SS headset

Also, I had a dual port 2.0 usb ports connected to the mobo.

Running the lastest verson of Win10 pro edition.

1x Belkin surge protector

The AX1200I was manufactured in 2014 week 15. I bought this psu from Amazon in May of 2014.

The AX1200i was overkill for this setup, but it worked.

Update: 6/19/2019 @ 6:05am

I able able to get to the desktop and installed the Link program version 4.6.0.86 quickly and did a shutdown. I'll add the link to see if anything gets recognized and see if the fan spins up.

Update: 6/19/2019 @ 6:33am

After adding the link to the usb port on the motherboard the computer would boot up to the bios and while in the bios the computer rebooted.

Update 7:40am 6/19/2019

Yep. It's a bad psu. Did another self test this morning about 20 min ago. After pressing the button on the back side and having all the cables out, the fan did not move. After pressing it again. The fan moved alittle. After another couple of presses the fan stayed on at a high rev then died off.

Tried it just before posting here for the update. Did the self test and nothing. Pressed it again .. nothing. Did it several times afterwards...nothing. Well, hopefully the new psu will last as long!

Edited by masterskop