Corsair Community

Please help a new guy understand memory speeds!

MikeC1064

Hi,

Relatively new to all this, so be gentle! I need to be educated a bit around this topic.

I've just completed a new build which includes a lot of Corsair RGB kit based around a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultras Gaming mobo (Rev 1.0).

I have 16GB (2x8) of Vengeance RGB PRO memory positioned in mobo DIMM slots 1 and 2 (as per the mobo a manual, but visually they are slots 2 and 4 looking at the bank of slots from left to right). The memory I bought is CMW16GX4M2C3200C 16.

Now these should run at 3200MHz, right? So, looking in CPU-Z it tells me that I have type DDR4, size 16384 MBytes running Dual Channel, which seems ok. However, it shows the NB Frequency as 1066.0 MHz?

Looking on the SPD tab it tells me that sticks in slots 2 and 4 have Max Bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz).

Does this sound correct and if so how do they relate to 3200 MHz - or have I missed a setting in the BIOS that I need to change?

Oh and iCUE just simply refuses to recognise them correctly and so they are not lit at all (they were lit at one point), but that's another issue and I have raised a Support Ticket for that.

Thanks,

Mike

Well, its not correct cause they have not the maximun Mhz. Dual Channel is ok so at the moment you have 2x 1066 MHz = 2132 MHz instead of 3200. So i think there is something wrong with ur timings which must be looked at in the bios.

But befor that, which CPU do you use? And do you have looked which Memory ist supported on ur board and ur CPU?

Both must support it so you can go for the full 3200 (which were 2x 1600 on dual channel)

Well, its not correct cause they have not the maximun Mhz. Dual Channel is ok so at the moment you have 2x 1066 MHz = 2132 MHz instead of 3200. So i think there is something wrong with ur timings which must be looked at in the bios.

But befor that, which CPU do you use? And do you have looked which Memory ist supported on ur board and ur CPU?

Both must support it so you can go for the full 3200 (which were 2x 1600 on dual channel)

As per above and profile I am using an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. I'm not sure about compatibility (told you I was new to this so perhaps I should have checked!). I just made assumptions with it being Corsair memory.

DevBiker, I'll try your suggestion and report back.

Changed the IOS setting as suggested and CPU-Z now report NB Frequency as near on 1600 on the memroy tab, so that looks more like it should do?

Interestingly, on the SPD tab it still shows Max Bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz). Is that as it should be?

On a slightly different note, as I mentioned on the original post I have a ticket raised as iCUE is not recognising the DIMMs correctly. Could this be due to compatibility? I've seen from the odd thread that 'SPD Write' needs to be enabled, but that doesn't seem to be an option on an Gigabyte mobo (or at least not on version F3 of the BIOS) or at least I can't find that option.

Thanks again.

Can you post some screen caps? And yes, it CPU-Z sound correct; the NB speed with be 1/2 of the memory speed rating (dual-channel).

I presume you mean the CPU-Z SPD page? I will do that over the weekend. It’s evening here in the UK and I’m heading out for a few hours so I will report back tomorrow.

That last screen shot shows the SPD table for the memory - this lists all of the timings that the memory supports. Well, some of the timings. This is for reference; it doesn't mean that's the speeds that your memory is using.

So was that not the screen shot you wanted? Interestingly, whilst I was out today my lad freaked out because he was playin Fortnite (for about 10 minutes only) and it then started crashing so he thought he'd broken something. I came back, tried Assassin's Creed Odyssey and that froze on me. When I then restarted Windows I got mesage 'IRQL not or less or equal' which from some basic reading may be due to memory error?

So was that not the screen shot you wanted? Interestingly, whilst I was out today my lad freaked out because he was playin Fortnite (for about 10 minutes only) and it then started crashing so he thought he'd broken something. I came back, tried Assassin's Creed Odyssey and that froze on me. When I then restarted Windows I got mesage 'IRQL not or less or equal' which from some basic reading may be due to memory error?

As it happens I have just recevied a reply back from Tech Support. They say that 'Our Vengeance Pro RGB memory does not state compatibility with Ryzen', so this may all come back to compatibility ater all. That said, they did light up to begin with.

They have suggested that I update the BIOS to F3g from F3 so I will give that a go first and see what happens. In the meanwhile I amsetting X.M.P. back to Disable as the system seems more stable that way.

Mike, can you check to see whether setting the XMP profile in the BIOS sets your DRAM voltage to 1.35V. I've seen a number of motherboards that will happily set the memory timings and leave the voltage at 1.2V. If it doesn't, set the voltage to 1.35 manually.

Mike, can you check to see whether setting the XMP profile in the BIOS sets your DRAM voltage to 1.35V. I've seen a number of motherboards that will happily set the memory timings and leave the voltage at 1.2V. If it doesn't, set the voltage to 1.35 manually.

Hi,

So I went into MIT settings and Advanced Voltage Settings. As you suspected the DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) is set to Auto and 1.200V. However, it does not seem to give me the option to change this setting from Auto? I'm not sure whether this is relevant either: in Advanced Memory Settings, the Memory Timing Mode is set to 'Auto' and there it says the Profile DDR Voltage is 1.35V.

Mike

Archived