Corsair Community

Diskeepers Hyperfast

no1yak

Anyone using Hyperfast? This came with Diskeeper Pro 2011 and its been on my system before I installed my SSD's. Not sure how it works, have read the write up on Diskeepers web site, but still none the wiser. Can someone tell me how it works on SSD's. Thank's in advance.

If the developers of Diskeeper can't even explain it, I doubt anyone inhere can.

As I understand it tho, it works by "cultivating" the free space so that subsequent writes will be placed "better".

Whatever it does exactly, don't expect any major performance boost. Or any at all for that matter. It's most likely just the major defrag app companies trying desperately to hold onto the market by trying to convince the growing population of SSD owners to continue buying their crap.

edit:

So I read about HyperFast on http://www.diskeeper.com/hyperfast/, and the description is vague to say the least.

"HyperFast is an excellent solution for older SSDs, modern lower-priced value SSDs, and even the many top performing SSDs used on older Windows operating systems." - notice how desktops sporting contemporary hardware w/ win7 is conveniently left out?

"The Proof

To demonstrate this fact, benchmark tests were performed on an 8GB SSD in a simulated real world scenario to depict a customer’s environment over 6 months. With HyperFast SSD optimization enabled, performance gains were automatically realized with 5.9x faster reads, 19.5x faster writes, 3.9X faster random reads and 9.0X faster random writes (higher numbers indicate higher performance)." - wow, an 8GB SSD? Is that an accurate representation of the modern SSD market?

So, basically, if you a) aren't running win7 b) have an SSD from 2009 c) have an older laptop w/ your newer SSD, there may some value in HyperFast. But, as you know, the good guys who made Diskeeper only did the testing on an 8GB drive for you, so even then, with a 120GB+ drive, you have no concrete facts to go on.

I'd love if some serious hardware site to sink their teeth into the claims of the SSD defrag and kill the myth once and for all...

Hi all

If your program is for smart placment or defrag.

Ther no need ove dose any more with ssd.

No moving part to get information ove hard drive as it is memory.

Will make no deference if u defrag or not.

Even wost, Expert say that you will use prematuretly you ssd if u defrag.

Hope this helpSincerly yours

Thank's for the replies. The reason I still use it is because of my 2xWD Raptors and Diskeeper picked up the 2x SSD's and assigned them to hyperfast. Like you said Folmer it's pretty vague on what it actually does. I don't even know if it can be disabled, I'll have to take a look.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the opportunity to help explain how HyperFast from Diskeeper helps benefit the performance of an SSD.

But first let me state that applications accessing data under Windows in a fragmented condition will be slower that accessing that same data in a non-fragmented state. This has nothing to do with the storage media, but is simply a fact of life when dealing with NTFS.

http://www.diskeeper.com/blog/post/2012/01/21/Setting-the-Record-Straight-Windows-7-Fragmentation-SSDs-and-You.aspx

Whether you are accessing data that is stored on traditional magnetic HDD or an electronic SSD, Windows NTFS file & free space fragmentation slows down the access speed of applications requesting data. NTFS file and free space fragmentation happens far more frequently than you might guess. It has the potential to happen as soon as you install the operating system. It can happen when you install applications or system updates, access the internet, download and save photos, create email, office documents, etc… It is a normal occurrence and behavior of the computer system, but does have a negative effect on overall application and system performance. As fragmentation happens the computer system and underlying storage is performing more work than necessary. Each I/O request takes a measurable amount of time. Even in SSD environments there is no such thing as an “instant” I/O request. Any time an application requests to read or write data and that request is split into additional I/O requests it causes more work to be done. This extra work causes a delay right at that very moment in time.

What’s more, the amount of data that is being stored has increased dramatically. Just think of all those digital photos taken and shared over the holidays. Each photo use to be approximately 1MB in size, now they are exceeding 15MB per photo and some go way beyond that. Video editing and rendering and storage of digital movies have also become quite popular and as a result applications are manipulating hundreds of Gigabytes of data. With typical disk cluster sizes of 4k, a 15MB size file could potentially be fragmented into nearly 4,000 extents. This means an extra 4,000 disk I/O requests are required to read or write the file. No matter what type of storage, it will simply take longer to complete the operation.

The physical placement of data on an SSD doesn’t really matter like it does on regular magnetic HDDs. With an SSD there is no rotational latency or seek time to contend with. Many experts assume that fragmentation is no longer a problem, but the application data access speed isn’t just defined in those terms. Each and every I/O request performed takes a measurable amount of time. SSD’s are fast, but they are not instantaneous. Windows NTFS file system does not behave any differently because the underlying storage is an SSD vs. HDD and therefore fragmentation still occurs.

In addition, SSD’s require that old data be erased before new data is written over it, rather than just writing over the old information as with HDDs. This doubles the wear and tear and can cause major issues with the speed performance and lifespan of the SSD. Most SSD manufactures have very sophisticated wear-leveling technologies to help with this. The principle issue is write speed degradation due to free space fragmentation. Small free spaces scattered across the SSD causes the NTFS file system to write a file in fragmented pieces to those small available free spaces. This has the effect of causing more random I/O traffic that is slower than sequential operations.

Diskeeper’s HyperFast technology is a sophisticated proprietary means of reducing the effects of file fragmentation to improve performance (without causing unnecessary writes that would reduce the lifespan of the SSD) as well as optimize the use of free space such that the small slivers of space do not contribute to new file fragmentation.

1411295745_SSD-ATTOBenchmark.jpg.5de117dc1c2c3ee3a14b70eeb494bf31.jpg

Guys, his IP / email address shows he's a Diskeeper employee.

Howard: Next time, please just post a link to your blog post instead of posting it verbatim, thanks. Also, you're not the first DK to post here: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=490966&postcount=20

I've never seen ATTO scores like that before or after. Both are odd. Without more information as to how the fragmention was measured (presumably with DK) and the specs of the SSD and rig it was running on, I'd take that pic with a big grain of salt.

Archived