Corsair Community

H115i Platinum - Pump Hum

snubbers

A bit of a question around pump 'hum' on the new H115i.

For reference, I have been using a H100i (2013 edition!) for years with my 4770k, still going nicely to this day.

I've just built a new PC with:

- Kraken X62 + G12 cooling the GPU

- H115i Platinum cooling a 2700x

- All in a Phanteks Evolv X.

I've stopped all fans and disconnected power to the X62 and H115i briefly to confirm that the H115i pump is making a very audible 'hum' through the closed case to the point it's louder than the fans idling.

Any ideas, or just return it?

At which pump speed? The high? Or the low?

With both.

Using the Quiet Profile (iCUE reports 2427RPM) the hum is lower pitched but it seems more 'resonant' as in it is more annoying.

Using the Extreme Profile (iCUE reports 2940RPM) it's a much higher pitched hum, less resonant.

I've got it fired up now, and at 1M from the closed case it's very audible, in fact its the loudest noise coming from the case (That's 6 x 140mm fans all around 500-800RPM).

In contrast, the Kraken X62 with it maxed out at 2851RPM it sounds like a small fan, no 'whine'.. at it's default 2100RPM I can't hear it over the fans at all, it's 'quiet'..

Deffo got to be a duff H115i, going by the reviews none noted that it was louder than the fans at 'quiet' and certainly very audible over 1M away.

The odd thing with this one as well is it came with 2 x AM4 brackets and 2 x Intel Back plates (should be 1 x Intel Backplate, 1 x AM4 bracket and 1 x TR4 bracket)..

I love the RGB lighting though so definitely worth replacing.

The few that have the new Platinum have been insisting it is quieter than the corresponding Pro models, so that is a bit concerning. The X62 is definitely a comparatively quiet pump, but you should expect to hear something from any small mechanical device at ~3000 rpm. Frankly these kinds of things drive me crazy, so I would probably exchange it for another while still in the return window, rather than endure it for a month and then be forced to go through Corsair with limited/no stock.

So you have the X62 hanging down underneath the GPU, huh? I have a spare one and thought about using it or an X42 at one point for that job. I half wondered if the giant bezel would pull by GPU off the PCI-E slot. Are you able to run CAM and iCUE at the same time?

Edited by c-attack

The few that have the new Platinum have been insisting it is quieter than the corresponding Pro models, so that is a bit concerning. The X62 is definitely a comparatively quiet pump, but you should expect to hear something from any small mechanical device at ~3000 rpm. Frankly these kinds of things drive me crazy, so I would probably exchange it for another while still in the return window, rather than endure it for a month and then be forced to go through Corsair with limited/no stock.

So you have the X62 hanging down underneath the GPU, huh? I have a spare one and thought about using it or an X42 at one point for that job. I half wondered if the giant bezel would pull by GPU off the PCI-E slot. Are you able to run CAM and iCUE at the same time?

Thanks, I'll start and RMA with the shop I bought it from (SCAN), It'll be a shame to go back to the wraith prism stock 2700x cooler, that think is a noisy little thing with no cooling ability what-so-ever!

As for the G12/X62:

The heatsink of my Titan Xp (Starwars Collectors Edition) is about twice the weight of the G12 + X62! The PCB does sag a little but feels rock solid. The performance of it is just amazing, before, just running the Heaven benchmark always had it hitting its 85 degree max and throttling ever so slightly, now it doesn't go above 56 degrees and you can run the fans at 1000RPM for super quiet cooling. I did stick some small RAM heatsinks on (as the RAM feels toasty), but the reviews do mention that the 92mm fan does a great job of cooling the VRMs and RAM, so I'm not worried.. I could overclock the card much better than before, but I only briefly tried it, I'll run it stock for now, if I was that serious about overclocking, I'd water cool it with a full block.

And indeed, CAM and iCUE run together really well! Both sat in the systray happily ignoring each other!

Glad those two programs are getting along now. Things were pretty dicey on both ends for a while and the X62 got benched until things settled down.

Yeah, I didn't make it even 30 days on my Titan X(P) before turning into a hybrid. Wow, it was a screamer. These days I have it on a full contact plate and its own standalone 280mm radiator and pump system. Frankly, I probably should have left it in the hybrid state. It was a lot of time and expense to completely reconfigure the case, all to drop the GPU temp from 42-50C down to 32-42C. Actually, the real reason was the whiny, incessantly buzzy 120mm rad+pump combo. And that brings it back full circle to using the X62 on the Titan. I could have made things a lot easier on myself.

Glad those two programs are getting along now. Things were pretty dicey on both ends for a while and the X62 got benched until things settled down.

Yeah, I didn't make it even 30 days on my Titan X(P) before turning into a hybrid. Wow, it was a screamer. These days I have it on a full contact plate and its own standalone 280mm radiator and pump system. Frankly, I probably should have left it in the hybrid state. It was a lot of time and expense to completely reconfigure the case, all to drop the GPU temp from 42-50C down to 32-42C. Actually, the real reason was the whiny, incessantly buzzy 120mm rad+pump combo. And that brings it back full circle to using the X62 on the Titan. I could have made things a lot easier on myself.

Yeah, the AIO having pump/unit and no reservoir really makes for a cleaner looking build and far easier too!

The day someone brings out a AIO with full plate block for a Reference GPU I'll be waiting with my money!

Same issue here. Installed the new 115i Platinum a few minutes ago, powered on the PC and immediately noticed this "hum" Sound. Also I can clearly hear the water in the Block, ist really a LOT louder than my old Kraken X62.

The pump, even on quiet profile, is BY FAR the loudest part in my whole PC in idel!

This concerns me a LOT. If this is a Hardware issue which cant be fixed by a Firmware update within a few days, I will return it. This is a absolute No-Go for me!

Here is a Video of the noise:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wpwf4X5Y5U[/ame]

Ist hard to catch it properly on a Video because on the Video you can hear the wind of the fans more than in reality … :/

At 0:18 I switched to Extreme profile. At 0:32 I switched back to Quiet profile.

In Extreme profile I only get this hum Sound, in Quiet mode I can clearly hear the water which is super annoying.

Also, why only Quiet and Extreme for the pump? Why no custom profile like fixed 60 or 75% or something like that? Not even balanced is possible to select for the pump...

Any idea if this ia just a bad/broken pump or if all pumps do make this noise?

Wait, so is that high pitch frequency is present in the low speed (2400) mode, but not in the higher setting?

no this is present in both modes. But in the Quiet mode I can additionaly hear the water in the pump, which is not there in Extreme mode. So actually the extreme mode is quieter than the Quiet mode, which is ridiculous. But both modes are way too loud with this "hum" Sound and not acceptable at all for a silent Desktop pc!

Thanks, I'll start and RMA with the shop I bought it from (SCAN), It'll be a shame to go back to the wraith prism stock 2700x cooler, that think is a noisy little thing with no cooling ability what-so-ever!

As for the G12/X62:

The heatsink of my Titan Xp (Starwars Collectors Edition) is about twice the weight of the G12 + X62! The PCB does sag a little but feels rock solid. The performance of it is just amazing, before, just running the Heaven benchmark always had it hitting its 85 degree max and throttling ever so slightly, now it doesn't go above 56 degrees and you can run the fans at 1000RPM for super quiet cooling. I did stick some small RAM heatsinks on (as the RAM feels toasty), but the reviews do mention that the 92mm fan does a great job of cooling the VRMs and RAM, so I'm not worried.. I could overclock the card much better than before, but I only briefly tried it, I'll run it stock for now, if I was that serious about overclocking, I'd water cool it with a full block.

And indeed, CAM and iCUE run together really well! Both sat in the systray happily ignoring each other!

I dont know if a RMA would give you a better new one.. I have the exact same issue and I already think that all pumps will be the same, for some ist concerning, for some it might be even ok. For me this is a No-Go. Ist so freakin loud that I already got headache because of this high pitched hum Sound. I think there is a design issue with the new CoolIT pump.

I just joined the forum to say that I have the exact same issue with my H100i Platinum

I replaced a H100i V2 with this and the new one is so much louder. I LOVE the zero fan speed feature of the platinum but the pump noise is just crazy :(

It seems strange that none of the glowing reviews so far have mentioned this

I did a quick Sound measurement with my phone.

From my seating Position I get These results:

Quiet Mode: 27-31 db

Extreme Mode: 22-26 db

So the quiet mode actually is LOUDER than the extreme mode. Something clearly is wrong with this pump!

Btw, X62 only got me 19 db… So either the OP and I both have faulty H115i Platinum or there is really a design flaw…

Edit: We now already have 3 People with MUCH louder pumps than their previous AiO… More and more it Looks like a design flaw of the new coolit pumps. :/

Edited by momorious

I don't know what to tell you guys. I don't have the new cooler and even if I did, it's positive/negative performance would be just one sample. It's brand new and there isn't a ton of feedback. However, given the OEM I would be pretty surprised to see a lot of units sliding through QC without so much as a glance. That's typically the other guys.

Now that said, any pump from any manufacturer, from your basic Asetek to a $200 D5, is going to have an audible sound profile once you go past 2000 rpm. The lowest speed on the Platinum is 2400 rpm. I am a bit surprised they did not opt for a definitely quiet 1750 or so, but then the H110i was this way too and there were very few complaints about pump noise on that model.

Now I have lived with a pump that everyone said was normal and I knew it was not. There is no reason to turn your machine into a source of agony. I doesn't matter if you are the most sensitive person alive or tone deaf, if it's bothering you, do something about it and don't sit on it. I still regret "accepting it" and doing just that many years later. I think you could give this a fair shake and replace it from the vendor while the exchange is still easy (hopefully). For those people shopping for the quietest cooler possible, the Pro series has the lower fans and lowest pump speed, even if I don't recommend it for much more than desktop work. You can let it run low and take the 5C hit. You also have in your possession another cooler that does indeed have a very quiet pump. I always wondered how they managed to pull that out of their hat. That said, that model does have some other problems. I like mine, but it does not fit my current build as well the the H115i Pro and so... I would not leap to tragic conclusions like a design flaw just yet. The vast majority of these things are a failure to respect manufacturing tolerances or simple assembly error. The prior model from them was one of the more respected releases with the fewest problems. I definitely hear a high pitch frequency in your Quiet pump mode, although I was listening through some pretty sophisticated equipment. So while I think it is a little early to bash the brand, I do think you should send yours in for a replacement or take one of your other options. Don't sit on it.

Edited by c-attack

Unfortunately it's not that easy to return the pump to get a new one because I already sold my old X62 so I would end up with a few weeks without any cooler for my cpu, so I won't have access to my pc for a few weeks and that's another no-go.

And the risk actually is too high to get another faulty loud h115i pump because for now it looks like every pump is making this sound so I don't have any guarantee that a RMA will fix this. I will wait for a statement from Corsair as some official needs to reply to this possible design flaw of the new coolit pump.

Wow, seems I wasn't alone!

The H115i is winging it's way back to the supplier, on top of the whine mine was missing the TR4 bracket (I had an additional set of AM4 brackets and a second Intel backplate instead!).

When the new one arrives I will carefully just open the box plug in the sata and USB to the PC and run it up without removing it from the box, if it's noisy it'll go back for a refund and I'll get another X62 (which would be neater to have 2 x X62's in the same case anyway)

The reasons I want the H115i platinum to works are:

- I like corsair products (sad but true) I've had so many positive experiences.

- The reviews said 'reduced pump noise' was a design feature of the new Platinum

- ML RGB Fans! (Who doesn't want those!)

- Reviews put it forward as a good performer with low noise

I'll see how the replacement goes.. you never know.

I've got the same problem and I have to say it doesn't sound like anything is broken to me. As in there is no rattling sound or anything. It's a very 'smooth' consistent sound.

Personally I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to send it back or not. I should be having a h100i pro on the way soon as a replacement for my broken h100i v2. The idea was to sell that one on arrival and get the 115i plat. But if that pro is quieter I might actually end up keeping that instead.

Okay Folks, I just got my replacement H115i Platinum.

It makes the same "hum" Sound and it still remains the loudest part in my whole PC in idle so this pump seems to be designed to be louder than all previous pumps - just so you are Aware of this fact.

Also, Extreme mode actually is still quiter than the Quiet mode because of the lower pitched hum Sound in the Quiet mode. Extreme Mode makes a more high pitched hum Sound and is less noticable and Overall quieter than the low pitched hum Sound in the quiet mode.

Lets hope that Corsair can "Workaround" this by giving us the Chance of a "real" quiet mode with just 1700 RPM or something like that because 2400 is actually not slow and therefore not quiet at all.

BUT one positive: Seems my first pump really was broken because with this replacement pump I cant hear the water in the quiet mode which I could with the first pump.. So at least ist a bit quieter now but far away from being silent. I will need to think About if I Keep this puimp or return it and buy a Kraken X62 again which was absolutely silent even with full speed...