Corsair Community

H115i PRO RGB ISSUES

B0n0

Hello all,

First of all, I would like if this noise is normal when I set the pump in iCUE to extreme mode:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15x5OmpDOFU0qcOuskiXtlg45ZBJCCwJ3

Second...I had set some curve in bios for the pump (which is not the correct way) and was running fine but today I set the QFAN as disabled to have a total control with iCUE.

The thing is...when I set the pump to quiet, it is speed up auto and changing to balanced mode for some second (I can hear the noise). My question is why?

I have uninstalled iCUE and now is in quiet mode without variations.

What I can do to fix this? Because seems a software issue and I don't know what is triggering the pump to change from quiet to balanced for a few seconds.

Thanks in advance.

There is nothing abnormal in your sound clip. Extreme is three times faster than quiet. It's going to be much more noticeable and anything named Extreme isn't going be silent. The quiet mode is quiet, but also a bit too slow for serious work. What is going on when the pump changes from Quiet to Balanced?

Your coolant temperature (right side of the cooler tab in iCUE) is the key to knowing if there is something wrong with your cooler. At a certain temperature, the pump may shift into a higher profile because it thinks it is necessary, although you should not get to that level easily. Can you add more detail to this event?

There is nothing abnormal in your sound clip. Extreme is three times faster than quiet. It's going to be much more noticeable and anything named Extreme isn't going be silent. The quiet mode is quiet, but also a bit too slow for serious work. What is going on when the pump changes from Quiet to Balanced?

Your coolant temperature (right side of the cooler tab in iCUE) is the key to knowing if there is something wrong with your cooler. At a certain temperature, the pump may shift into a higher profile because it thinks it is necessary, although you should not get to that level easily. Can you add more detail to this event?

Thanks for reply c-attack. So noise is normal? I can heard also sound in balanced mode. Note that my radiator is in the front of my case, and under the pump due to space issues...hope this is not bad at all.

The auto jump between quiet and balanced when for example I open a simple software like core temp or open the browser...I think that was related so ICUE software. I did a clean installation and the problem is gone.

Thanks. Edit: Do you have any good custom profile to try with it?

Yes, all pumps have to make some noise. It is a mechanical device and at balanced speed, it is still spinning at 2000 revolutions per minute. Not quite dentist drill speed, but the faster you go, the more you will notice the inevitable shift to higher frequency noise.

I am not sure about the jumping pump speeds. It should not happen except in case of emergency. One thing to watch out for is linking profiles to specific applications. Whenever you tab to the desktop, Windows will become the active program and you go to the default profile instead of what you were on 2 seconds before. There is a "copy all" function in the drop down menu, Performance tab that will apply your pump and fan settings to everything on your list. This is handy and usually quicker than setting up new profiles manually.

Your system specifications aren't listed, but it looked like a Z170 board in the video, so I will assume 6700K. All CPUs from the last several years will cause a temperature reaction when you open programs. They have been designed to be snappy and make normal tasks seem crisp by putting more resources into doing whatever. This will happen with an small air fan, a 280mm cooler, or 10ft tall external cooling system. It's all voltage and conductivity at the CPU itself. There is nothing to be done about this. Your voltage and CPU design create the CPU temperature. The cooling system only gets rid of the heat. Water cooling has a higher capacity to store heat than an air tower and thus is typically better over a longer duration, but all coolers will react the same with these fraction of a second tasks. That said, you do want to watch out for extremely high spikes on the desktop. That is normally a sign the cold plate on the pump head and CPU are not in good contact. When this is true, little things will cause big jumps, your temps seem very erratic, and anything with a moderate or better load will take you into the red zone in less than 1 second. Hopefully that is not what you are referring to, but that is a fixable problem.

Fan control is a bit more complicated than air until you learn the normal behavior of your system. With air, you set the fans to go as fast as you can stand and that's that. However, whether you have an air tower or water system, the cooling unit only moves heat elsewhere. It can't make the CPU cooler, only prevent it from getting hotter than it already does. The advantage of water cooling the ability to hold a greater amount of heat and that amount can be measured in terms of coolant delta or change in coolant temperature. This is sometimes referred to as H115i Pro Temp in older versions of the program.

Coolant temp is always constrained to being the minimum temperature the environment, which you normally think of as room or case temperature. Most people will have coolant temps about +4-7C above their room temp. The value is measured after it picks up CPU heat, so it will never be +0 except for a fraction in time after waking from sleep, etc. When the CPU does work, its heat is conducted across the cold plate and into the coolant stream. The radiator disperses it and the fans aid in that effort. As such, fans speed affects the coolant temperature only. Not the CPU temp directly. So when you initiate a 100% CPU stress test, it doesn't, matter if the fans do not respond instantly. Until the temperature of the coolant changes, there is no penalty to your cooling. In that regard, the relationship is this: +1C coolant temp = +1C CPU temp. Heat transfers both ways across any conductive path and your coolant temp is the effective minimum CPU temperature with zero voltage. A typical coolant temp change might be +6C for a 100% CPU load. You may actually see more than that when gaming, but it is the result of the case temperature rising with the radiator and fluid along with it.

Don't set your fan curves to react to a CPU stress test. Nobody accidentally starts Prime 95 remotely. If you are going to run a stress test, set the fans to a fixed RPM of your choosing prior to the test. This will make results consistent from time to time and takes any local temp variability out of the equation. Do make the fans curves react to what you normally do. So if you normal coolant temperature is 25-27C when sitting on the desktop, reading emails, writing papers, etc., then you want the fans to be quiet at those temperatures. Do not make the initial part of the curve overly steep. If the coolant goes up +1C, it doesn't matter that takes you CPU temp from, 35 to 36C. Probably about +3C after you normal idle temp, you want to the curve to go up. How much? That is completely up to you. It is unlikely your load temps are at the critical phase, so blasting the fans to reduce them by 1-2C may not be of value. I usually cap my 140mm fans off around 900 rpm for normal use and that is with headphones. Without, I might keep it at 700 rpm since temperatures are good. It really doesn't matter and that is the point of water cooling. You can keep fans speeds relatively low on large 280 and 360mm coolers --- right up until you crank your Vcore so high teh CPU temps touch the throttle point. That is the only time that 1-2C in CPU temp might matter. So, individual speeds and temperatures are up to you. I will suggest you save the last point for a full RPM blast and set the temp out of reach at 45-50C. You should not reach those coolant temps under normal circumstances and this will give you an immediate auditory warning if temps are out of their zone. You will know you need to stop and investigate if you hear the blast.

Archived