Corsair Community

DDR2 to DDR3 question

gbu

Ive sourced 2 new Motherboards and one can take my old DDR2 Ram sticks whereas the other is set for DDR3.

My question is are these new DDR3 better then my existing DDR2?

The main reason im asking is the DDR3 are over half the price of my DDR2, i know thats not much of a gauge but it makes me ask the question lol

can someone have a look at these 2 please and let me know.

1. my existing DDR2:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-XMS2-6400-2x240pin-Unbuffered-5-5-5-18/dp/B002D33KWM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329517915&sr=8-2-fkmr1

2. New DDR3:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TW3X4G1333C9A-XMS3-DDR3-Memory/dp/B002D11C6U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329518255&sr=1-5

Hmmm ok that puts a whole new light on whether i get a different Motherboard then as i was expecting to pay £50+ like i did for that DDR2, but for that price i might think again.

so is the DDr2 more expensive for a reason compared to the DDR3?

Ok small update!

As i said in my previous post i had already ordered that RAM based on newegg saying its compatible with my board:-

http://www.newegg.com/MemoryFinder/#fgJClBE0fe0AED

As it has come already i tried it out to and the pc does start and the 8GB is recognised everything boots normally and im using it now to type this etc, does this mean it is compatible or will something drastic happen?

• Corsair Employee
Most of the modules we build now are made with higher density memory IC's but we do still use the lower density parts when available. You can tell by the version number printed on the label of the modules. If they are version X.X then they should work if they are X.XX they should not work.

• 3 weeks later...
Bit of a follow up to this thread, ive noticed a bit of lagging in my pC and ran memtest and it picked up many errors, could this mean it was/is a higher density module after all even though the PC does boot and post etc?

Most of the modules we build now are made with higher density memory IC's but we do still use the lower density parts when available. You can tell by the version number printed on the label of the modules. If they are version X.X then they should work if they are X.XX they should not work.

So is this the X.XX one then?

Just ran memtest and this is the result.

Tried Ram(1) in Slot 1 and there was errors immediately.

Tried Ram(1) in Slot 2 and there was errors immediately.

Tried Ram(2) in slot 1 and there was NO errors!

Tried Ram(2) in slot 2 and there was NO errors!

The non-error runs were left for about 5minutes i know that s not long but seeing as the other test had errors straight away i thought it was safe to stop them.

Secondly i noticed something odd when i was testing the Good Ram in Slot 2 with memtest it said in DDR2!

When running same test in slot 1 it said DDR3!

ram.JPG.4170799115e44fa0dcaab4e141b6bb9f.JPG

oh ok, what do you make of the fact im getting errors on one stick but not the other?

what i find strange is that it has been working fine then had the lag but since im just running with the one good stick all seems ok now, i can get a refund or a replacement but not sure what to do?

Im in the UK and dont think i can RMA it back to you as your in the US and i think the nearest center is in Holland.

i hope i can get a refund from Amazon then.

i really would like 2x4GB but cant find any thats compatible can you help me at all?

i really would like 2x4GB but cant find any thats compatible can you help me at all?

Me personally, no, I dont work for Corsair . Just been a fellow enthusiest that likes to help other having issues.

You can call CS by phone and ee if there is anything they can do for you. Since you are overseas and the call can be expensive. you can always instal SKYPE and use that to call the toll free number.

Archived