Corsair Community

iCUE causing Black Screen of Death

abdidas

Installed the latest iCUE 3.3.103 hoping to get some colour back on my STRAFE after the last issue which made me uninstall 6 months ago ref: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=930962&postcount=56

The new iCUE now causes black screen of death which require hard switch off from PSU and random reboots. It took me a while to pinpoint where the issue was coming from since Event Viewer did not pick up on it just like last time but CUE is definitely the culprit.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

ASUS X370 F motherboard Bios v4012

G.Skill Trident Z RGB

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti

Windows 10 (1803 update)

I reset bios to default settings :(:

Removed all USB devices :(:

Reseated RAM and GPU :(:

Uninstalled CUE :D:

Reinstalled CUE :mad:

Uninstalled CUE :D:

I don't have any other RGB control software installed and the only monitoring software I have is HWiNFO64.

So what's the deal Corsair?

others have reported that on newer versions as well, hopefully a beta bug. I just rolled back to Cue 2's latest (which i think was 2.24.48) and re imported my profile backups as the SDK wasn't cooperating 100% yet. Look forward to the new SDK once they get further along and I'll jump back into icue on my non critical machine.

I had the light flicker, but this keyboard was a refurb that had an internal go bad so a couple keys are not lighting property no matter what so I couldn't say with certainty if it was the software version.

Looks like you were right hastegag, I uninstalled HWiNFO64 and didn't get the black screen of death overnight. Just installed the latest version of HWiNFO64 (v5.85) and my pc lastest about 10 minutes before it crashed.

My next try is to install an earlier version of CUE

You will have to go back to the Fall of 2017 to find Link versions that play nice with HWiNFO, AIDA, or anything else. There are no compatible iCUE versions. All of the standalone CUE 2 versions will work, if that is all you need. It's the cooler and fan interaction that seems to cause the issues. The only way I can make this work is run Link + CUE 2, set exit Link after boot, then launch HWiNFO. That will last until I put the PC to sleep. Then the process must be repeated.

I installed the old CUE v2.24.50 and that seems to have sorted the black screen issue but it still has the annoying USB disconnect sound on start-up. Edited by abdidas
Seems to have solved the issue, still not 100% on it.

• Corsair Employee
^^^ the reason it does this is because the devices connected on USB need to reinitialize once CUE starts, so it disconnects one device driver and then reconnects. It's an aftereffect of how Windows operates. If you really don't like the sound, you can always change it in your Windows sound settings.

• 3 months later...

I resolved this by rolling back to an older version

http://downloads.corsair.com/download?item=Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.4.95_release.msi

Basically if you use taskmanager on a 1080ti and play a game with high gpu useage you can see gpu going down to 0 every couple min, remove latest ique and it goes away. I called support and after 30 min we rolled back and all issues gone.

IQue with the issue was 3.7.99

3.4.95 was golden and works fantastic

Good luck and let everyone know if it was resolved with this version so the devs know theres an issue.

• 2 years later...
This was crashing my system every single day. I was going out of my mind trying to figure out what piece of Hardware in my system was faulty. I thought it was the processor, the CPU, the video card note open up reliability monitor in Windows 10 and you can see Corsair crashing right before the crash of Windows. Damn I uninstalled this app won't install it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Same, Im having either a Hard Reset or Black Screen of Death multiple times a day. I've had to uninstall the latest iCue otherwise I can't do anything.

Uninstalling resolved the issue completely. :sigh!:

Edit: Also might I add, that Event Viewer shows pretty zero logs of anything crashing. If it wasnt for Windows saying the previous restart wasn't clean, you'd have zero trace of a crash.

Edited by TempestWales

I suspect that these problems may be tied to the cpuid device that is installed with iCue and possibly recent Windows updates. iCue looks to license/use cpuid libraries for probing hardware metrics. I started getting BSoD over a month ago. In another thread that I started, @ckong suggested removing/renaming the cpuid DLL files located in the iCue folder under Program Files (x86). I did this the other day and have improved stability so far, but I want to give it about a week until I feel comfortable. There is one catch though. Since the cpuid libraries will no longer load, some services will not run in iCue, so some of your devices may no longer be managed by the software, or show up at all. My H115i is one such device.