Corsair Community

Havent seen this done to an 800D... So I did it.

Hey All,

So I was staring at my 800D and while staring at the HD cage, I thought about how cool it would be to use that space to house an additional radiator (in addition to my XSPC RX360 and RX240). So I eye balled the cage, and started dis-assembly of it.

So now I was looking at my mauled case wondering what the hell I had done, and realized after the fact that I would have to find a new home for my SSD's, would have to figure out how to get airflow to the fan on the rad that I intended to install, and mount the whole thing.

Here are a few of the things I did to put it together:

So first of all, the HD cage sits on an antivibration honeycomb of rubber that I also thought could be useful for the rad set up. The problem was this: The honeycomb was a solid piece of rubber and had no holes or ventilation which would have essentially created a vacuum out of rad if I mounted a fan to it. So I used the convenient shape of the grid as a template to cut out holes and give it some airflow (notice of the right side has been cut out). This still wouldnt provide a whole lot of flow, so I used the center valley of the rubber pad as a template to cut out a airflow channel that would leverage the height of the pad to allow ample air to flow into the valley and up to the fan.

IMG-20120130-00063.jpg

IMG-20120130-00065.jpg

So next I had to find a place for my SSD's. I measured the space between my res/pumps and my BD Burner and found out that I would be able to mount all 4 of them in a staggered pattern in my drive bay and I figured after sleeving the cables it wouldnt look too bad.

I also realized while making those measurements that I could probably fit a 140mm fan where the hotswap bays used to sit, so I did some measurements and used torque between the old HD fan screws and a nut to secure the fan in place (more on that later)

IMG-20120202-00076.jpg

So the theory with the fan is that it would use the cavity between the case and the front cover to channel air from the bottom of the case up into the case and directly onto my GTX590's. But I soon realized that the next dilemma with the fan was that when I tried to put the front cover of the case back on, I realized that the old door retention clips were protruding to the point where they would not allow the front cover to go back on with the fan installed, luckily it was nothing that a pair of needle nose pliers couldn't fix. I simply pried the retention clips out and used some radio shack magnets as a way of securing the front door since I would have no need to open it anymore now that my hot swaps are gone.

IMG-20120204-00085.jpg

So this is now the final result... and an before and after show to give you an idea of how clean it still looks

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

BEFORE:

IMG_1574.JPG

AFTER:

IMG_1716.JPG

I've got a 700D and I ended up cutting a hole behind the front aluminium below where you've got your fan fitted. Put a filter and a fan there for another intake, simply pulls air in from behind the front panel, and since it's a lit fan it gives a blue glow below the case.

You using the hotswap bay is a great idea, but I'd definitely filter it.

I was disappointed that Corsair didn't feature an extra 120mm fan at the front on both models, honestly.

Archived