Corsair Community

H100i + 600T: Best fan scheme

Darkmana

Hello

I just bought a Hydro H100i CPU Cooler and a Graphite 600T Case. I am having doubts about which would be the best fan scheme.

The 600T default fan scheme would be as the image bellow, using the natural air flow.

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/3682/1600tdefaultexaust.png

Scheme 1: 600T default (exhaust)

The H100i manual recomends for the best cooling performance mounting the fans as an air-intake to the PC case.

Try to imagine that the gray rectangle would be the radiator and the other two black rectangles the 120mm fans.

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/944/2h100idefaultintake.png

Scheme 2: H100i default - pull (intake)

Put them two together and you will have this scheme, used by Corsair in one of their videos.

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/7397/4600th100ibundleintake.png

Scheme 3: H100i + 600T default - push (intake)

But, when you consider the natural air flow, wouldn't one of these schemes might be better?

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/6513/3h100ialternativeexaust.png

Scheme 4: H100i + 600T alternative - push (exhaust)

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/1735/5600th100ibundlealterna.png

Scheme 5: H100i + 600T alternative pull - (exhaust)

Which one would be the best scheme? Or would there be another?

Thank you in advance!

also with the 600t case ( i also have that case) - your fans will most likely have to go on top - in between the removable top filter and the honeycomb style metal separator as the radiator cant go above the separator unless you cut out holes for the hoses - and, at least for me, if i put the radiator and fans underneath the separator it wont fit because of the MB - So i had 2 options - Radiator (inside case, against separator) then fans above separator in either push or pull - i chose pulling cool air in from the top blowing through the radiator -

Thank you all for your sugestions.

It seems to me that for the best CPU cooling performance would be to push/pull outside air to/from the radiator.

So, with the 600T, the scheme 3 would be way to go.

I just received today my 600T, let's see how it will work... I am aiming for low noise system and I believe that 600T and H100i would be great combination for that.

Thank you all for your sugestions.

It seems to me that for the best CPU cooling performance would be to push/pull outside air to/from the radiator.

So, with the 600T, the scheme 3 would be way to go.

I just received today my 600T, let's see how it will work... I am aiming for low noise system and I believe that 600T and H100i would be great combination for that.

2 of my builds are set uo just like you decided,a couple have suggested it best to have the rear fan pulling air out but our way worked best for me.

So, considering scheme 3, I have a sugestion that I would like to make to Corsair:

The top panel could have the same dust filter that the front panel has. Specially because it will more easily get dusty as it is a horizontal surface. I believe the dust filter would not affect performance, despite how the coolers would be installed.

Anyway, the 600T is a great case. I am very happy with mine.

Thank you for all your attention.

I run your Scheme 4, but with the rear fan as intake:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=117122

Works great. So, none of the above.:biggrin:

I considered that option too, but it seemed a little bit strange to me at the beginning. After reading your thread, it makes sense, yes.

Once you are using the natural air flow, there is a reduction of the CFM needed to blow the air, therefore, there is also a reduction of the RPM. And using the rear fan as intake, beyond causing positive pressure inside the case to reduce even more the RPM, it also deals with the counterpart of not using the H100i pulling cool air in, by blowing cool air over the radiator area.

Well, that's all theoretical, but your system seems to confirm that.

I was almost forgetting, it also reduces the amount of dust pulled inside!

Great thread by the way!

• 5 weeks later...
Well, I am in the process of building a new system and I am using the same HS and Case. Here are my plans for this, mind you its a little different then any of the above. I am putting the back 120 fan, top 2 120 rad fans and the front 120 fan on exhaust and then using the 4 120 fan mounts on the mesh of the side panel for 4 120 Intake fans. I know this is going to be a little louder but with the built in fan controller I am hoping to be able to keep it minimized when not needed.

• 8 months later...
Well, I am in the process of building a new system and I am using the same HS and Case. Here are my plans for this, mind you its a little different then any of the above. I am putting the back 120 fan, top 2 120 rad fans and the front 120 fan on exhaust and then using the 4 120 fan mounts on the mesh of the side panel for 4 120 Intake fans. I know this is going to be a little louder but with the built in fan controller I am hoping to be able to keep it minimized when not needed.

How did this end up working for you? I am not really doing anything special with my CPU and I have the 600T with the H100i but my 7970 GPU runs at 89°C-90°C. Did this setup work out very well for you? I'm thinking it would be great for keeping my card cooler than the other ways.

I tried scheme 3 but my GTX770 temp was running to hot so now i use scheme 4 and this seems the best for me, i have 2 14cm fans in the front blowing cold air in the case.

Oh ok so did you get rid of the 200mm fan in the front and replace it with 2 14cm fans? I saw that with the top of the two HDD mounts gone there are holes for either a 120mm or 140mm fan to be attached which would directly blow across the GPU. Might try that once I can get a fan on my hands. Any way you could give this a try if you have another fan lying around? wonder how it makes a difference. My GPU runs HOT and I'm only looking to get more in there as well so I gotta get great airflow.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I'm using Scheme 3 with an additional 120mm intake in the 5.5" drive bay. With the Corsair link set at balance, my temps at idol are 16-19C, 50% Load 22C and 100% Load 26C. My top fans are the Noctua NF-F12 PWM, my bottom intake is the 140mm Cougar Vortex CF-V14HP, My top intake and exhaust are the 120mm Cougar Vortex CF-V12HP. I would love to do a push pull using I'm using Scheme 4. Also as a side note, I'm using the solid window panel, trimmed the plastic in the top mesh to fit two 120mm fans.

My system specs are:

MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX Bios: AMI 1604

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1050T (Thuban) - 2.8GHz

RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ (9,9,9,24,2T) 2gb x4

VIDEO: HIS HD 5670 IceQ 1GB (128bit) GDDR5 PCIe v2.0 x16 (in slot #2)

PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860 (SS-860XP)

CASE: Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series™ 600T

CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i

HDD: Seagate Baracoda 7200 LP Sata (OS)

HDD: Seagate Baracoda 7200.12 1TB Sata (Storage)

OPTICAL: ATAPI iHOS104 BlueRay

WLAN: Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

KEYBOARD: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

MOUSE: Logitech Performance Mouse MX & Razer Mamba 2012

• 2 weeks later...

You need to maintain slight positive pressure inside the case.

Don’t forget your video card fan(s) exhaust from the case as well.

If you configure the radiator fans as exhaust fans they will be pulling against the video card fan(s).

Mine system is set up like Scheme 2 with a 200mm intake fan, 120mm exhaust fan and the radiator fans are both intake.

• 1 month later...

I ended up using Scheme 3 with the 600T case with the radiator inside the case and the two corsair sp fans on the outside under the top grate.

My motherboard wouldn't allow me to fit the fans under the radiator on the inside. There's only about 15mm of space between the radiator and the top of the RAM chips and another heat sink.

When I first got the H100i I tried scheme 5 but just wasn't getting the cooling I wanted. You really need to pull cool air in from the outside and send it through the radiator.

I made one additional modification to the case. I replaced the clear plastic window on the side door with the vented grate that came with the case and mounted two 120mm fans to push air out of the case.

Archived