Corsair Community

(Yet another) ASUS P5B32-E SLI question

DocZ

Hi,

First off let's establish the fact that I am a complete RAM noob, and therefore I'm not likely to understand a lot of this techno babble (yet), so please if you can post in understandable comprehensive way, you'll be doing me a huge favor...

So here's the situation:

MB= ASUS P5n32-e SLI

RAM = 2x TwinX CM2X1024-6400 (no C4 or C3, couldn't get that at my hardware guy's store, weird huh?) in a total of 4Gb

All 4 sticks are connected, I couldn't install windows, only BIOS, etc...

Memorytest (included on Vista install cd, I guess?) got stuck at 9%

Just stuck, no mention of problems... As Vista consistently fails to install, I assume it's Microsoft...

Just out of boredom a day later, I take out and rotate the memsticks and restart memtest. Again, at 9% it freezes and now it finally sais hardware poblems detected.... I say YAY finally I'm getting somewhere....

So, I go scientific method on my RAM and randomly decided wich of the two pairs I'm gonna take out (I chose the later batch numbers). So I now have 2Gbs of memory installed (still with me?).

Starting up PC.... "HEY no bluescreens of death"... I install vista and the whole shabang... Everything running okay...

So now my question is: Ares these two sticks I took out faulty or is it a problem with MoBo or whatever...? You guys are the experts, so your thoughts are WAY better then mine....

• Corsair Employee
With this MB you would need to run the memory frequency at DDR667 with 4 modules installed and I would set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts as well and then test the modules one set at a time with http://www.memtest.org with the tested settings manually set to be sure, and you will need to disable legacy USB with this MB.

Archived