Corsair Community

Dominator RAM without OC potential...

M3di

Hey folks...

You know, I bought Dominator Modules for my PC so I could get a little bit of air to pimp them... But my Modules have a horrible oc potential...

Going into detail: Achieving lower latencies at the same frequency:

Almost not possible; @ 1333Mhz and 7-7-7-18 @ 1,5V they close up. Anything starting with 6-X-X-X does not even boot.

@ 1600Mhz I cannot achieve anything below 8-8-8-24 @ 1,55V.

My goal was intentionally 1866Mhz - but even @ 10-13-12-34 and 1,55V Windows IMMEDIATELY crashed starting Prime95 Blend test.

Not to talk about the try of getting 2133Mhz...

That's so what of frustrating... Even MUCH cheaper Vengeance RAM like this one can achieve MUCH more...

I am really disappointed regarding the fact that I payed above double the price the Vengeance kit would cost and can achieve almost NONE improvement.

And please; using 1,65V is not really an option - Sandy Bridge does not like that high Voltages.

Don't get me wrong, but why the heck did I pay over 150$ for crap?

I bought Dominator RAM especially and ONLY because of overclocking capabilities. Nothing less. If these totally overpriced underperfomant RAM sticks can't achieve EVEN half cost Vengeance frequencies and timings, I wish to send them back for exchange!

http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/dual-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits/cmx8gx3m2a2000c9.html only $104.00

plus your board is intel right? the link you provided saya "Dominator® — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit for AMD Phenom and Phenom II Processors(CMD8GX3M4A1333C7)"

it may be for intel too but if you want the speed, the 2000 ram i linked will suit your needs.

I would say it's more your CPU holding you back than the memory. Memory overclocks are highly CPU dependent. I bet you would get more out of them with an I-7 instead of the I-5

Have you tried adding memory controller voltage? Not DIMM voltage. You already have that at max.

At any rate, Corsair can only gaurentee rated speeds. So anything above and beyond is a bonus.

im sorry but i think your expectations are way too high.

I totally agree!!!

I have no interest in any 1,65V modules, cause they provenly damage the CPU in Sandy Bridge Systems - as I already have told. :sigh!:

And no, the 2500k is not holding back any RAM potencial... I know much about CPU's and that it makes absolutely NO difference if there's an i5 or an i7 before the CPU name (in matter of memory controller)....:D:

The ONLY main difference in i5/i7 of Sandy Bridge is Hyper Threading. ;):

L3 Cache size is a little bit more and the integrated graphics are improved... but no, the memory controller is absolutely unaffected.

I would have expected more:!:

But:

Memory overclocks are highly CPU dependent.
In general you are right. Starting with differing between AMD and Intel...

....stopping long before differing between i5/i7 of the same generation of CPU's...

Have you tried adding memory controller voltage?

I hope that's a joke. Otherwise; no, I do not intend to fry my CPU.

At any rate, Corsair can only gaurentee rated speeds. So anything above and beyond is a bonus.

In general, you are right. But not in this price class. Demanding double the prize for the name of the memory INSTEAD of putting the money into development to increase editing the memory's performance by the user itself is not the right way. Dominator Modules are praised to be great for oc'ing, but I see how well I payed for empty promises...

I think THIS is the reason for buying your RAM, isn't it? To expect the unexpectable.... In some case, this suits the situation. *ironic laughing*

Have you tried adding memory controller voltage?

I hope that's a joke. Otherwise; no, I do not intend to fry my CPU.

No, it's not a joke and you can safely go as high as 1.2v on SB CPU's without being out of Intel spec.

If you are so afraid of frying your CPU then you probably shouldn't be overclocking.

I think THIS is the reason for buying your RAM, isn't it? To expect the unexpectable.... In some case, this suits the situation. *ironic laughing*

Within reason. 1866mhz from a 1333mhz kit? I wouldn"t say thats expected.

trying to undervolt and overclock do not mix, the ram you bought is for AMD not intel.

the first problem is with your configuration, second problem is trying to double the ram's speed undervolted all around.

i just cant see this working.

No, it's not a joke and you can safely go as high as 1.2v on SB CPU's without being out of Intel spec.

I know. Going slightly above 1300mV for VCore is also still in Intel's specs. Never the less, a lot of people already fried their CPU going after that... I am not trying to go as high as possible. I am trying to overclock as high as safely possible.

That means: I am not going above 1,28V for VCore and not above 900-1Ghz of oc, meaning 4,2-4,3Ghz with the 2500k. I can't see any reason - except benchmarking - to go any higher.

And no, I do not try to raise any Voltage anymore. I got my 7970 Windforce 3x stable at 1125/1500Mhz at almost stock Voltage (1125mV). That's nice...

trying to undervolt and overclock do not mix, the ram you bought is for AMD not intel.

Hopefully, you do not honestly believe that... I have no problem with missing XMP's, but "memory for a specific CPU"? Ouch.

The standard is DDR3-240 pin. Therefore, you can put 3 of these modules onto a Gulftown's MB using it in tripple channel, putting 2/4 of them onto an FX-8150's MB and it will also work... There is no "working only with", there is just "designed for".

This modules having low latencies at 1333Mhz - a mixture the Phenom CPU's do really appreciate.

Btt: I try make an exchange for other memory with my reseller. This RAM is not even a month old, maybe I find a way to get it exchanged.

Archived