Corsair Community

Corsair RGB Lighting Setup Help Needed

Guest bigshorty

Guest bigshorty

Hi All

I'm hoping some of you kind lot might be able to help with setting up some RGB lighting fans and strips that I have purchased, as I'm finding it rather confusing. I'll list what components I have and maybe someone can elaborate if I have the right items for starters, and then let me know how to set it all up. The items I have are as follows:

2 x HD Series HD120 case fans with lighting controller

1 x Lighting Node Pro RGB Lighting Controller with 4 RGB LED Strips

1 x Commander Pro RGB and fan controller

I've managed to get the fans running with Corsair Link software through the lighting controller that came with the fans and the Commander Pro, the problem I'm having is connecting the RGB strips up as they have 3 pin connectors, however the Commander Pro only seems to accept 4 pin connectors on the LED channels. The Lighting Node Pro also seems to only accept 3 pin connectors, so I've got no idea how to link it all together.

I do hope this makes sense, and I'd be really grateful if some of you guys can tell me if I've bought the wrong components, or whether I'm missing something with regards to the setup of the strips.

Many thanks in advance.

Make sure that you check out the RGB FAQ that's linked in my signature. It has diagrams and pictures of all the devices - it definitely is overwhelming at first so that's an invaluable resource.

The Lighting Channels on the Commander Pro has 3 pins - the strips will plug directly in to them. Four pins is the RGB Fan Hub and that's a different beastie entirely. Your HD 120 fans should be connected to that and it is then connected to the Lighting Channel on the Commander Pro. For the strips, make sure that you use the 3-wire connectors, not the 2-wire connectors. The 2-wire connectors are to connect the RGB Fan Hub to the lighting channel.

Guest bigshorty

Many thanks for the reply, and nice one for doing a detailed description of installation of RGB fans and strips, It'll definitely prove extremely useful when my new case arrives in a couple of days.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Guest bigshorty
Hi Buddy :).. use iCUE. LINK is now EOL so you would be better off with the software that has future support.. and glad the RGB Faq helped :)

Many thanks fot confirming that info.

Well I've got all my RGB fans and strips connected up and I have full control using iCUE software, happy days.

I have a couple of queries I have regarding my Corsair H100i PRO cooler though, that I'd like some advice on. First thing is whether I should connect the cooling fans linked to the radiator to the connectors that come from the pump housing, or whether the fans can be / should be connected to the Commander Pro? I've got the pump connected to my CPU fan header, and set bios to run this header at a constant 100%. My bios is telling me that the fan is running at 2800rpm, is this ok? Finally, is the H100i temperature sensor accurate? Only ask as when I stress test my CPU, the temperature of the H100i doesn't rise, however my CPU temperature will rise by up to 30'C.

Any thoughts and comments on these would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the cooler, the fans should be connected to the cooler itself. This provides control of the cooler whether iCue is running or not; you can also save a custom curve to the device if you want to.

With the PRO cooler, you don't need to set CPU fan to 100% (though it doesn't hurt) and the reported fan speed is actually the pump speed. This provides a good fail-safe in case your pump completely fails.

And the temp sensor should be accurate but keep in mind that it monitors the coolant temperature. It takes time for the coolant temperature to rise under load. How much time and how far it rises depends on a number of factors but suffice it to say that it's much, much slower than the CPU rise. This is due to the higher specific heat (heat capacity) of the liquid and is simply physics at work.

Guest bigshorty
Regarding the cooler, the fans should be connected to the cooler itself. This provides control of the cooler whether iCue is running or not; you can also save a custom curve to the device if you want to.

With the PRO cooler, you don't need to set CPU fan to 100% (though it doesn't hurt) and the reported fan speed is actually the pump speed. This provides a good fail-safe in case your pump completely fails.

And the temp sensor should be accurate but keep in mind that it monitors the coolant temperature. It takes time for the coolant temperature to rise under load. How much time and how far it rises depends on a number of factors but suffice it to say that it's much, much slower than the CPU rise. This is due to the higher specific heat (heat capacity) of the liquid and is simply physics at work.

Brilliant info, and exactly how I have set up my cooler. Many thanks for your help.

Archived