Corsair Community

RM650X makes electric noises

sucharek

Hello,

I recently bought myself a new computer and put it together myself. Spec can be seen in my profile. At first I had a be quiet 600w pure power 80+ silver which had an malfunction so I contacted the seller and they exchanged it. Built it in and same problem after 8 hours. Funny thing: my 5 year old PSU 530w Thermaltake Hamburg is working just fine.

So instead of asking for another be quiet PSU, I got myself the money back and bought myself the Corsair 650w RMx 80+Gold Modular.. I have build it in and it's working since 5 hours in my computer now but then I somehow noticed some sort electric noises comming out of the PSU connection where you have to plug in the power cable.

The noise it makes can be compared to the one in this video:

[ame]

[/ame]

The difference is, it's way duller and the noise is going on instead of making quick breaks like in the video. It can be compared to the noise a grass hopper makes.

Now the question: The article is brand new. Is this normal with this PSU?

• Corsair Employee
Hello,

I recently bought myself a new computer and put it together myself. Spec can be seen in my profile. At first I had a be quiet 600w pure power 80+ silver which had an malfunction so I contacted the seller and they exchanged it. Built it in and same problem after 8 hours. Funny thing: my 5 year old PSU 530w Thermaltake Hamburg is working just fine.

So instead of asking for another be quiet PSU, I got myself the money back and bought myself the Corsair 650w RMx 80+Gold Modular.. I have build it in and it's working since 5 hours in my computer now but then I somehow noticed some sort electric noises comming out of the PSU connection where you have to plug in the power cable.

The noise it makes can be compared to the one in this video:

The difference is, it's way duller and the noise is going on instead of making quick breaks like in the video. It can be compared to the noise a grass hopper makes.

Now the question: The article is brand new. Is this normal with this PSU?

What you are referring to is called "Coil whine" it shouldn't be as apparent as you have described with our RMx series, could just be a dud that you have, i would suggest exchange it with the re-seller while you still can. But in term of performance, the noise doesn't represent any potential harm/risk to your computer. Hope that help.

Archived