Corsair Community

"Professional Series” HX750W almost burned my house down!

onryo

I am a system administrator for a large company. Although I am American I am working in Sweden. While setting up a few servers (GNU/Linux Debian Stable) a few years back I saw a few videos and read a few reviews about the “Professional Series” HX750W. The videos bragged about “no surprises”, ultimate stability and the 7 year warranty.

These are headless servers (no GPU, keyboards, mouse) on professional Intel server platforms. The servers have zero downtime. The PSU was mainly loaded by the RAID 1,0 systems and networking cards with a total load on the PSU of about 320 Watts with the LAMP stack tuned at heavy load. Never had a glitch with any of the servers.

Around two weeks ago one of the servers went down. Normally I SSH into the system to inspect an issue. That did not work. I then physical checked out the server and quickly realized that it was dead as a door nail. No networking lights etc. Pushing the power button gave a little life and then nothing. I removed the “Professional Series” Corsair and dropped in a top of the line S**Sonic Platinum PSU. The server was back to life. A bit annoyed I tested the PSU by crossing the green and black wire after watching the official Corsair video. The fan did not move even with a slight load. The PSU was dead.

RMA time.

I had quickly found box the PSU came in. We save everything. There was a red note saying to contact Corsair and not the distributer of the item. After a description of the incident I was given and RMA number. I was expecting a phone call and a resolve in the next 24 hours. I have worked in the US and know how this works.

A few days later I get this RMA number ...

You got to be kidding. What if I was administrating the New York times? This is advertised as a “Professional item” and Corsair expects me to leave a military complex to stand in line at a post office and then ”I” pay a little over $70 USD to send it Holland? Forget the silly money! This is not professional behavior! In fact it is a slap in the face! No FedEx/UPS to pick it up and drop of a working unit? Wait for weeks to get a new one back? Normally for a trip like (wasting time at post office while they hire a replacement) I am paid about $230USD an hour. I would like to think Corsair is not just your run of the mill Junk from China.

It would seem the idea is to hassle skiddies to the point that they don't want to RMA inexpensive broken gadgets in Europe. Only some naive desperate kid would do that. I Never had these problems with Corsair's products while working in the USA.

Now for the “good part” …..

Today I brought the so called “Professional Series” Corsair home. Dropped in a paper clip (as Corsair recommends) across the green and black wires. Wow the fan was spinning this time! Joy. Passed the “Corsair official youtube video test” I thought I would give it a new chance with MY main personal machine at home. Removed my S**sonic Platinum SS-520WFL (I don't use GPUs and other toys) and dropped the Corsair “pro line” HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) into my my own private machine and ….

…. wait for it!

My whole house filled up with smoke in seconds! My wife ran in with a fire extinguisher. Fried wires burned plastic and (top of the line professional) components. My RAID system card/SSDs (strip 0 and mirrored resync on the fly should a SSD go down) ALL GONE. A top of the line SSD was in the Obsidian docking station. The Corsair Obsidian docking station on the top of the case and SDD are melted. Yes there were top of the line SSDs. Hundreds of gpg keys, SSH keys, virtual machines, code that was to be pushed to both Linux and OpenBSD git servers ... trashed ... why. Thanks to this PSU peddling itself off as “professional”. Obsidian 650D docking station was fused with an SSD. Melted into the junction ... what a mess! I need a new plastic connector on the top (where the cron job backup SSD was mounted) of my Obsidian 650D. Where do I get one? The Samsung's 840 Pro up there was melted into the connector and trashed.

Worst of all is the Debian distribution that I have developed … gone!

Eclipse and Code::Blocks gone...with all my projects.

There are laws for public safety in Sweden. I am more often out of the country then here. If this had been one of my home servers I could have well been out of the country. My house would have burned down. This would have been a PUBLIC hazard general public.

My insurance company will repaint the walls here at my home to get rid of the smell. BTW if you sell a product here in Sweden you are responsible for ALL RMA costs. Including shipping. So I hear from the lawyers here at work. Right now that part is miner in my mind.

My insurance company would like to send this “Guaranteed no surprise Professional” PSU to the proper authorities to have it reevaluated for its safety.

If there are any spelling errors in this … that is because I wrote this in three min and am REALLY annoyed! I am normally a very calm reasonable person but this just pushed me over the edge.

I am waiting for your response. I am including my gpg keys if you do not want to speak about this publicly.

Erik A (aka onryo)

GPG/PGP key ID: 0x2B4B58FE

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x2B4B58FE

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry that happened but let me understand something the PSU failed on one of the systems in your office then you took it home and tried it and it filled the house with smoke? Is that about right?

What was your Case or RMA# and we will start the RMA process.

However, the warranty policy is clear about the shipping you would pay the shipping to one of our Hub's and we will pay the return shipping. The exception to the rule would be if the item is less than 30 days old or if its a second RMA we will pay the shipping. However you can always speak to our customer service and see if they can make an exception. In addition, you can also request an advanced RMA to limit the down time.

How thoughtful of Corsair to be sorry. Thank you Andy, Nick and Jose.

The headless server that went down had a replacement PSU installed in less then ten minutes. A physical press of the power button and the server was back up. It is rock solid with the new PSU. /proc/meminfo, /proc/cpuinfo, free -mt, lspci, lsusb, smartctl -a /dev/sdd (disk by disk) and a few other cmds looked good. The server was completely undamaged. As mentioned I watched your official Youtube video on testing the PSU with a bent paper clip across the green and black wire. The fan did not spin. A twitch maybe.

A week later I got around to bringing the “Professional Series HX750W” (CMPSU-750HXEU) home. As you can see in the photos, we save everything. Including the receipt from 2010-04-28 with the order number 697291. Please see the photo with my receipt, my name and the date of purchase. The box has a large gold seal on the front that says “Corsair Guarantee 7 Seven Year Warranty”. Under that more reminders that this was a “Corsair Professional Series”. So I am under warranty until 2017-04-28.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12875&stc=1&d=1371743594

attachment.php?attachmentid=12876&stc=1&d=1371743712

Sure I could bring the unit back to the distributor where I bought it. As an administer I buy a ridiculous amount of computer gear. Then I read the gigantic red “STOP! DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO THE STOR” (yes the card is in caps) note that came in the box with the Corsair PSU. Fair enough. Corsair is a sincere company that sells professional devices with seven year Guarantees. I thought a quick phone call to Corsair would be the end of it. Instead I was given the RMA number that you commented on from above.

A week or so later (when I had the time) I took another look at the Corsair PSU at home.

I watched (again) the official “How do you test if your Corsair PSU is broken”

5FWXgQSokF4

video on Youtube again. Did the paper clip test again. This time with a bigger load on the unit. The fan started spinning on the PSU and the load fans worked fine. Must have just been a fluke. The server at work was not damaged. The PSU passed the official PSU test. At worst the computer would not start. Not set off all the fire alarms in my house.

After all Corsair advertised

Read the end of the video.

The good news is (miracle) the main board, CPU, RAM it turns out did not get destroyed. I don't need an external GPU. The CPU's HD4000 is more then my X server needs. As mentioned my systems are mainly GNU/Linux Debian.

The bad news is the Adaptec Series 7 RAID (1,0) Controller, 4xSSDs and the the SSD in the Obsidian 650D sata docking station are trashed.

Could you please send me a new male connector (Corsair Obsidian 650D) for the SATA docking station? I have lots of photos if needed. The Corsair PSU did not only melt a SSD (backup for cron jobs) in the docking station but destroyed the Corsair Obsidian 650D SATA connector up there. The only reason I even use that case is because of the hot swap SATA in a convenient place.

I am not worried about downtime.

The server at work was only one of many servers. A new PSU was dropped in and the server was down for no more the 10-15 min. As for my own personal computer at home ... I purchased a new RAID system with some nice Samsung 840 Pro SSDs and a new SeaSonic Platinum.

Corsair has a customer service? I could not find them in the phone book. Could you please have them email me.

--

Erik A

xIgzAfg.jpg.69d3cfac439352d0d4e9b6e68dddd028.jpg

vqRskMZ.jpg.d3f5d84f72d50b5685c5c0ac2f1cbf4b.jpg

• Corsair Employee

The phone number for our customer service is listed under 888-222-4346 on the main site.

But I would suggest starting an RMA request using the link on the left before you call them. Or post the case number and I will have someone contact you. And or start a damage claim for you.

Thank you for your response. The RMA number is in the first post but I will repost it.

The destroyed ADAPTEC ASR-72405 RAID controller (about $800USD here in Sweden) and SSDs will be taken care of by my insurance company. Unfortunately a ton of source code that I was working on is gone. Not to mention the OS that I put together. I was rolling a distro for the general public based on Debian Jessie repos with a really nice DE =/

I would appreciate if Corsair took full responsibility for the flawed PSU and the damage it caused to the 650D docking station connector. As you see in the photos the box is packed and in mint condition. I was expecting somebody to pick it up.

My insurance company would like to send the unit to the national market surveillance authorities. Something about the possible “misuse” of the CE marking. The product's safety is being questioned. Silly imho.

I asked my insurance company to hold off and give Corsair a chance to rectify the issue.

You are welcome to contact me at

erik.adler {[at]} mensa {[dot]} se

--

Erik A

• Corsair Employee
Again I am sorry that happened but I am not sure why you would take the risk on a unit that had failed. However, the process has been started and you should have an email from our Damage Claim department.

Thank you “Ram Guy”. I got an encouraging mail from the RMA department. It is good to know that Corsair is not just a “pump and dump” enterprise. The following was very reassuring.

-Rest assured that we will do our best to get this matter resolved.

All the best

Erik

--

Erik A GPG/PGP key ID: 0x2B4B58FE

Archived