Corsair Community

AX850 and SAPPHIRE HD 7970 PSU connection issue

hybris2000

Hi,

Here's my current config :

Corsair Obsidian 650D case|Corsair Hydro H80 Cooler|Asus P8Z68-V Intel

Z68|Intel Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz|Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB CAS 9 1600MHz DualChann|SAMSUNG 840 256GB|Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB|Corsair Pro Series Gold 850W modular.

I have bought this new graphic card SAPPHIRE HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC and cannot get it to display on my monitor. I think it is a PSU issue. I have a Corsair AX850, which should be way enough to power my rig, including the new card. At the moment I have it plugged with the same cable that I used for my previous card, the Sapphire HD 6970. That one was powered with an 8 pin connector + 6 pin connector. On the side of the 6 pin connector, I had 2 extra pins that I wasn't using to power the HD 6970. So my questions are:

- Can I power the new HD 7970 with the 8 & 6+2 connectors, or do I need to plug it with a totally separated 8 pin power cable directly plugged in the PSU like the 1st 8 pin connector ?

- When I plug in the 8 pin connector + the 6+2 one (which are on the same power cable plugged directly on the PSU), the card fans are working and spinning, but I don't get any signal on my monitor, si that normal ?

- I have a PSU cable left which has 8 pins on one extremity and then splitting into 2x6pins on the other extremity. Would it work if i plug the 8 pin connector into the card and the 2x6pins in the PSU (provided I can make room for them :s)

Thanks for your help !

Yes, as long as you use both cables labled for GPU use and use the GPU ports on the PSU.

Any chance you could post pics?

Yes, was just thinking that'd be the best... I will do that tonight and post them. There no gpu label on the PSU so I was just planning to plug the 2x 6pins connectors on the PSU and the 8 pins one on the GPU and see what's going on...

Stay tuned for the pics, will upload in a few hours...

There is some confusion over the cables that needs to be cleared up first. I don't understand the 2x6 connector. Is this a 2+6 pin? Meaning 8 pins in total with two of them breaking away.

This is why i suggested that the OP take pics of the cables he's using and the ports he plans on plugging into the PSU . That way there is no chance of using the wrong ports.

ok, so here's a video from yesterday :

I was actually wrong, the cable that I had left was a 12pin splitting into 2x 6+2 PCI-E connectors, and I don't have any 12 pin slot left in my PSU...

Here's a link to the video :

So basically my only chance is to plug an 8 pin connector in the PSU with a PCI-E 6+2 connector on the other side plugged into the gpu...

a friend of mine has a Corsair PSU as well, but a different model : it's a XFX Pro Series 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Bronze, and mine is an AX850. He brought me this cable :

Would that work if i plug it in my PSU ? is there any risk doing that ?

That would be a separate 8 pins line powering the gpu so in theory that should work right ?

Thanks again for your advice !

a friend of mine has a Corsair PSU as well, but a different model : it's a XFX Pro Series 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Bronze,

Would that work if i plug it in my PSU ? is there any risk doing that ?

That would be a separate 8 pins line powering the gpu so in theory that should work right ?

This is not a Corsair PSU!! I would not use any of his cables. Not only will it void your warranty but it may also damage other components in your system.

What all do you have currently plugged in to your PSU now? You should have plenty of connectors at the back of the PSU for a graphics card. You must have cables plugged in to the wrong spot somewhere.

But the cable you need to use is the 12 pin that splits into 2 6+2 connectors. You can use both of those ends to plug into your GPU. This cable should be plugged into one of the two bottom right side connections on the PSU.

There are two 12 pin connections for GPU's and one 8pin connection that is supposed to go to your MB's 12vEPS connector. Really the bottom two left hand side are for CPU power if you have a board that requires it. Your only requires one so no big deal there. But the bottom two 12pin are for your GPU's

You can see where your cables are supposed to be using the pic found here in this thread.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/how-to-install-24pin-and-8pin-cables-on-your-professional-series-gold-psu/

That PSU is capable of running two GPU's , so i don't understand why you don't have enough connectors for just one GPU????

The other cables you showed are for CPU and will not work and I also wouldn't advise trying it either

Archived