The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM

POST ID # = 534570
sr2boy Reputation: 10

Today i was unable to boot into windows with a series of errors freezes etc on the sata 3 port 91xx controller evga sr2 with the latest 1701 firmware which made me revert back to the sata 2 port again, 1.3.2 still needs work hopefully atleast there is no bsoding as well

Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 534576
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

I'd say that the Marvell controllers could use some work.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 AM
kroni1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534622
kroni1 Reputation: 10

I installed the Force3 (120GB, Fw1.3) to my PC, give it a fresh Windows7x64. I turned off C1E, cause it slowed down the SSD, and now this is my ATTO result:

What do you think? Could it perform better in a different mainbord?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
FoLmEr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534626
FoLmEr Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroni1 View Post
I installed the Force3 (120GB, Fw1.3) to my PC, give it a fresh Windows7x64. I turned off C1E, cause it slowed down the SSD, and now this is my ATTO result:

snip

What do you think? Could it perform better in a different mainbord?
Of course it could perform better on another mainboard, those results aren't nearly up to specs of the drive. The Intel native 6Gb/s ports can achieve those speeds, whereas AMD chipsets and Marvell controller are having difficulty keeping up - like you're experiencing.

Also, C1E isn't the throughput-hogging culprit, the deeper C-states are (C3-C6 etc.) - at least on Intel boards. Are you sure you got it right? Because C1E is quite nice and you definitely want it enabled if you care about your electrical bill (again, on Intel boards).

Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
kroni1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534628

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLmEr View Post
Of course it could perform better on another mainboard, those results aren't nearly up to specs of the drive. The Intel native 6Gb/s ports can achieve those speeds, whereas AMD chipsets and Marvell controller are having difficulty keeping up - like you're experiencing.

Also, C1E isn't the throughput-hogging culprit, the deeper C-states are (C3-C6 etc.) - at least on Intel boards. Are you sure you got it right? Because C1E is quite nice and you definitely want it enabled if you care about your electrical bill (again, on Intel boards).
Yes, I know! CnQ is still enabled, but if I turn on C1E the SSD slows down like this, even if it is not the system disk:

Wierd..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534642
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Yes, I know! CnQ is still enabled, but if I turn on C1E the SSD slows down like this, even if it is not the system disk:

Wierd..
That ATTO run was taken when it was the system disk though, correct?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Clandestine's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534645
Clandestine Reputation: 10

Hi,

My Force 3 was unusable until I flashed the latest firmware but now seems fine, the only slight concern is the benchmark test results. Would someone be able to tell me if these are normal?

Cheers in advance,

Matt.
Attached Images
File Type: png bench1.png (63.3 KB, 259 views)

Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
FoLmEr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534656
FoLmEr Reputation: 10

Quote:
Oki, thanks for the info. I was talking from my own experience with Intel only. Tough luck on your speeds.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM
kroni1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
That ATTO run was taken when it was the system disk though, correct?
Yes it was! But I tested it again as system and secondary disk as well, and the results are quite similar..

Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM
kroni1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534694

Mabye a stupid question but if I format the SSD which I want for system, what is the best alloc. unit size to choose? Or just let windows decide?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 PM

POST ID # = 534721
sr2boy Reputation: 10

Today i got a bsod with 1.3.2 on the sata 2 intel port. Id say keep working on the firmware.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 AM

POST ID # = 534835
rminnocent Reputation: 10

Finaly ugraded my force 3 240GB from 1.2 to 1.3.2. I waited for a long time because i only had issues once or twice a month. But last week I had a major freeze with 1.2 that resulted in unbootable windows and major data corruption in several important programs and user data.

Because i had to start from scratch i decided to update the firmware to 1.3.2 as well and also secure erased the drives.

Experience with 1.3.2 so far is that i have much more freezes and problems then I had before.

Please don't start asking if i followed all the rules needed for upgrading firmware and tuning windows because I' m sure that I did all that is needed and what made my 1.2 more stable then 1.3.2 seems to be now.

If the return procedure and the work afterwards wasn't such a hassle I think I would have replaced the drives by now for a type without a sandforce controller. I'm not sure how much more I can take until I decide to trow these drives away and buy me some stable onces.

Last edited by rminnocent; 10-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM
tornado33
tornado33's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534836
tornado33 Reputation: 10

Ive just updated my 60Gb force 3, installing it on an Intel controller in my desktop system, following the proceedure. Update was sucessful and was to 1.3.2 Putting it back into my laptop it is now unusable, boots into windows and blue screens within a minute each time. Scanned drive for errors, none found. Looks like it will have to be RMA'd In meantime Im back to being a big fan of mechanical hard drives. Slower but gee much more reliable.
I updated my Force 3 because it would not wake from sleep without blue screening. The old mechanical drive gives me no such problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 PM

POST ID # = 534866
Queuecumber Reputation: 10
Default Does nothing

Hello,

I followed all the instructions, but when I click update firmware nothing seems to happen. I see the drive with a red X on it, but it never changes. I can hit rescan and it says the firmware never changed. I am on windows 7 x64, is there and incompatibility?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 AM
dirtrat's PC Specs

POST ID # = 534988
dirtrat Reputation: 10
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliphant View Post
I'm outside of my return period with my local retailer for this SSD. If a BSOD happens again, I'd like to request a refund and not an RMA, since an RMA will not cure this issue.

I already tried that and the Corsair Customer service told me to pound sand! If you can't fix your product in a timely basis because of defects then you offer a refund! Doesn't matter if the cause is from Sandforce or not. That is between you and them! I've lost ALL confidence in Corsair as a company and I currently own 3 of their power supplys not to mention numerous memory modules over the years. I will be looking elsewhere in the future after this fiasco! BTW I'm highly disappointed with the hostile support from Corsair in this forum! I'm sure my post will be deleted shortly because Corsair doesn't want you to hear the truth.