Corsair Community

0x000000F4 BSOD from Sleep

Toasted

Force Series Firmware Update 2.4

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100449

NOTE:Quick Boot can be re-enabled as it doesn't do anything it only adds extra tests during boot

A fix that has worked for some people.

Enter BIOS and look for "Suspend Mode".

If its on Auto set it on "S3".

then go to "Ai Tweaker".

find "DRAM Voltage" if its set on "Auto" manually set it to your RAM manufacturers voltage.

For example the Corsair Dominator GT voltage is 1.65v so in DRAM Voltage type in 1.65.

Save and Exit

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting, but:

From my experience and the majority of others, the Force drive has problems with S3 mode, to reduce problems you would set it to S1 mode. Have you ever tried setting it to S1 mode to see what happens? If it's not too much trouble, please test this out and post back your findings. :)

Thanks for posting, but:

From my experience and the majority of others, the Force drive has problems with S3 mode, to reduce problems you would set it to S1 mode. Have you ever tried setting it to S1 mode to see what happens? If it's not too much trouble, please test this out and post back your findings. :)

From my IT Knowledge S3 sleep is Suspend to RAM. as in the first post i made, i have advised that users with Desktop motherboards to manually set the DRAM voltage. It is because when a user wants to sleep their computer the BIOS will Automatically lower the DRAM voltage if this is set on "Auto", this will cause all the information stored in the RAM to be deleted. but when it is manually set the BIOS will keep the DRAM Voltage to the constant 1.65v therefore not losing any data and to a successful resume. i have also tested this on S3 enabled with the DRAM Voltage set on "Auto", when it resumes the BSOD appears. but when the DRAM voltage is manually set there is no BSOD. Also i don't think S1 is suitable for users with high performance parts as this may waste a of power and money.

UPDATE: i have tested the method on S3 and S1.

BIOS Settings DRAM VOLTAGE @ Auto | Suspend Mode Set on S1 (POS)

Sleep

5 Minutes: BSOD 0x000000F4

30 Minutes: BSOD 0x000000F4

1 Hour: BSOD 0x000000F4

2 Hours: BSOD 0x000000F4

3+ Hours: BSOD 0x000000F4

BIOS Settings DRAM VOLTAGE @ 1.50 | Suspend Mode Set on S1 (POS)

5 Minutes: Normal

30 Minutes: Normal

1 Hour: Normal

2 Hours: Normal

3+ Hours: Normal

BIOS Settings DRAM VOLTAGE @ 1.50 | Suspend Mode set on S3

5 Minutes: Normal

30 Minutes: Normal

1 Hour: Normal

2 Hours: Normal

3 Hours: Normal

BIOS Settings DRAM VOLTAGE @ Auto | Suspend Mode set on S3

5 minutes: Normal

30 Minutes: BSOD 0x000000F4

1 Hour: BSOD 0x000000F4

2 Hours: BSOD 0x000000F4

3 Hours: BSOD 0x000000F4

These are the results from the tests i did.

For laptop users,

if there is a power saving feature turn it off

if you are running Windows 7 go to Power Options and select Maximum Performance.

Set your page file on Custom

Initial Size 1000

Maximum Size 2000

Try using both sleep and hibernate, test it for at least 30 minutes if there is a BSOD post back the error code.

So in your case, either S1 or S3 causes problems so long as the RAM is set to Auto.

If the RAM voltage is fixed, there are no crashes. This is very strange because it appears that the drives are causing the problem, so why would activity involving solely the RAM affect the BSOD?

So in your case, either S1 or S3 causes problems so long as the RAM is set to Auto.

If the RAM voltage is fixed, there are no crashes. This is very strange because it appears that the drives are causing the problem, so why would activity involving solely the RAM affect the BSOD?

I don't believe the drives are causing the problem. In my opinion I'd say that Windows 7 was not designed for Solid State Drives. When someone sleeps the computer the OS does not recognize it is going to sleep instead it is shutting down, this is from the problems i have experienced while viewing "Event Viewer". it brings me to a point to set the RAM voltage to fixed. when the RAM voltage is fixed. the BIOS keeps the voltage to the DRAM at the constant value during usage and when the system is sleeping. So when the OS detects it wants to sleep it would save the information to the RAM instead of the Drive. This method would only work if the BIOS Suspend Mode is manually set on S3. Also for the Laptop problem i think that when it hibernates it saves the RAM information to the Drive. but since due to power saving technology for example "Maximum battery life" set by the manufacturer of the Laptop, which would cause the the BIOS to lower the voltages of the components, therefore it causes a BSOD due to the information it lost when the BIOS lowered the voltage. So in this point the Windwos 7 is not fully updated to support SSD, therefore this is not Corasir's fault. this is due to technology updating day by day and Software Developers for example "Microsoft" can't catch up. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer it

About a year and a half ago I built a system on an ASUS P6X58D Deluxe motherboard with three drives attached to the ICH10R SATA connections. The C drive is an Intel X25-M 160GB drive and drives D and E are ******** Caviar Black 1Tb and 2TB drives respectively. On day one I set the Power Options to put the system to sleep after three hours and without any special configurations whatsoever it’s worked flawlessly. Now I’d like to swap the D drive with a Force 3 or Force GT 240GB drive AND maintain the ability to let the system sleep after some period of inactivity and I’d like to know if this’ll work? My sense from reading messages on the forums of vendors (except Intel) with SATA III drives that this frequently causes issues.

About a year and a half ago I built a system on an ASUS P5X58D Deluxe motherboard with three drives attached to the ICH10R SATA connections. The C drive is an Intel X25-M 160GB drive and drives D and E are ******** Caviar Black 1Tb and 2TB drives respectively. On day one I set the Power Options to put the system to sleep after three hours and without any special configurations whatsoever it’s worked flawlessly. Now I’d like to swap the D drive with a Force 3 or Force GT 240GB drive AND maintain the ability to let the system sleep after some period of inactivity and I’d like to know if this’ll work? My sense from reading messages on the forums of vendors (except Intel) with SATA III drives that this frequently causes issues.

I would recommend you wait for a few more weeks, before you purchase a Force 3 drive ( just to be sure there are no more problems with it). You should be able to use the Solid State Drive as a data drive without affecting the system sleep. But i recommend you stick with the normal mechanical disk drives as they are more reliable than Solid State Drives right now but it usually depends on what you put in the Solid State Drives and how much you use it.

• 2 weeks later...

AHCI enables hot-swappable drives but windows 7 enables hot-swap ALL SATA ports (External and Internal). External is for the hot-swap. and internal is the ports on the motherboard. I have reinstalled Windows 7 on a ASUS N61JV and on an Desktop. both have the 0x000000F4 on AHCI mode.this is due to Windows reading the drive as a hot-swappable drive so when you want to resume the computer from sleep it will try and find the OS drive which is not there because windows thinks you have removed it from the computer. A workaround that has worked on the laptop and the desktop has worked fine.

NOTE: This uses the value of "TreatAsInternalPort" this command is usually for users who have internal drives and do not wish to Hot swap them.

NOTE: Remember to use S3 Sleep in your BIOS Settings.

1. make sure your Force Series drive is on Firmware 2.0

2.Find your Drives location and Channel number from Device manager.

To find the Location and Channel number, Right click Computer>Manage>Device Manager>Disk Drives>Right click the SSD and Storage Drive> find the Location in the "general" tab.

3. Access Command Prompt by pressing start and type in "cmd" (without quotes).

right click it and run as Administrator.

4. After a black thing will pop out and type this in.

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel0" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

NOTE: Controller1 and Channel0 will need to be changed. For example if your Drive is on Controller 2 and Channel 1. then your command would be

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller2\Channel1" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

NOTE: The controller may be referred as Location but it should be the same.

After the Command you should see the drives removed from the Safety remove and there should be no more BSOD from Sleep.

I NEED TESTERS TO POST BACK THEIR RESULTS, BY NOT POSTING BACK IT MAKES IT HARDER TO FIND A SOLUTION!!!!

Any FORCE 3 users looking at this can you try this method, Please

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all!

I just registered to say that setting manually the DRAM voltage worked for me.

I had a series of BSODs (F4, D1) resuming from sleep (S3), all pointing to a disk malfunction but actually, after having found this thread and set VDRAM to 1,8V (manufacturer's default) instead of "Auto" in BIOS, I havent got any of them since 1 wk. BSODs werent random but constantly following a resume and they disappeared all of a sudden after bios setting.

Many Thanks Toasted!

Howdy all!

I just registered to say that setting manually the DRAM voltage worked for me.

I had a series of BSODs (F4, D1) resuming from sleep (S3), all pointing to a disk malfunction but actually, after having found this thread and set VDRAM to 1,8V (manufacturer's default) instead of "Auto" in BIOS, I havent got any of them since 1 wk. BSODs werent random but constantly following a resume and they disappeared all of a sudden after bios setting.

Many Thanks Toasted!

FINALLY, its good to hear that the solution worked!

Have you overclocked your system?

Have you manually set "Suspend mode" to S3?

Have you changed the sata ports to a diffrent controller?

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

Go and try to reset your bios to default settings and change you Suspend setting to S3

then go set your DRAM voltage to your manufacters specified voltage and set your ram timings.

I understand I think why "hot swap" might be an issue with SSDs, and that Auto-voltage on one's RAM might be an issue for some mobo/os combos, but I don't follow what this latter has to do with SSD operation specifically i.e. if S3 means "suspend to RAM" then even a spinner would have trouble recovering if the RAM data didn't survive Sleep?

:confused:

I understand I think why "hot swap" might be an issue with SSDs, and that Auto-voltage on one's RAM might be an issue for some mobo/os combos, but I don't follow what this latter has to do with SSD operation specifically i.e. if S3 means "suspend to RAM" then even a spinner would have trouble recovering if the RAM data didn't survive Sleep?

:confused:

I agree laserfan that's why I doubed Toasted's method at first, but we need more people to test it so see if the method is valid.

Can anyone upload one of their minidumps?

minidumps are located here

C:\Windows\Minidump

You actually read my mind, I will be releasing a tutorial explaining minidumps and how to enable and retrieve them. I want anyone declaring a BSOD to provide a minidump. The goal is to gather a huge sample size of minidumps and compare them to see if there is a common problem.

You actually read my mind, I will be releasing a tutorial explaining minidumps and how to enable and retrieve them. I want anyone declaring a BSOD to provide a minidump. The goal is to gather a huge sample size of minidumps and compare them to see if there is a common problem.

that was what i was thinking.:laughing:

Get better cables. I was having issues, it looks like these Akasa cables might have fixed it. One of them was still bad. I bought 4 just in case for two drives.

just saw you post. you had drives disappearing, not sleep issues. anyways the BSOD usually happens on the older SSDs not the new ones. it's good that you solved you problem.

Get better cables. I was having issues, it looks like these Akasa cables might have fixed it. One of them was still bad. I bought 4 just in case for two drives.

I've seen this happening a lot. All SATA cables are not made equal.

Even the ones that come bundled with motherboards can be bad quality sometimes and cause drive detection issues.

NOTE:I cannot guarantee this will work on your system, Even if you try and sell your SSD and get a different brand i can tell you that even if you get any other branded SSD there will be still Problems with it. nothing can be 100% perfect.

CHECKLIST

Before posting try these tips

1.Instead of the Right angled ports use the upright ones or test them in different systems.

2.Test your current memory using Memtest

3.Try Different SATA Cables. Not all SATA cables work.

4.Check you connections especially the sata cables. wiggle them, do they move? if yes then replace them. (NOTE: the connections on the SSD will wiggle BUT the ones in the motherboard port should not wiggle.)

5.Are you running latest BIOS and Chipset Firmware?`

6.Is your SSD updated to the latest firmware?

A solution that has worked for some people.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, Intel Chipset Driver

If not update them

Enter BIOS and look for "Suspend Mode".

If its on Auto set it on "S3".

then go to "Ai Tweaker".

find "DRAM Voltage" if its set on "Auto" manually set it to your RAM manufacturers voltage.

For example the Corsair Dominator GT voltage is 1.65v so in DRAM Voltage type in 1.65.

Save and Exit.

Update 2: i have tested the right angle sata ports and found that SATA 1 & 2 produced the 0x000000F4 ERROR while SATA 3 & 4 did not.

Instead of using SATA 1 or 2 try and use SATA 3 or 4 in the right angled section.

NOTE:Quick Boot can be re-enabled as it doesn't do anything it only adds extra tests during boot.

FORCE 3 USERS

If any of you have changed the PCH voltage to 1.15 as recommended by other users i would suggest you change it back to the default voltage of 1.05 as setting it on a higher voltage causes more BSODS. the PCH voltage is used for Overclocking the sandy bridge processors for stability. if you have an overclocked sandy bridge processor you do not need to change this. FOR non-overclocked users i would recommend you set it on the default voltage or 1.1v for Stability i would not recommend you go past 1.1v unless someone who is a professional stated you can go past 1.1v

I have tried all that; no luck.

Have you overclocked your system?

Have you manually set "Suspend mode" to S3?

Have you changed the sata ports to a diffrent controller?

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

Go and try to reset your bios to default settings and change you Suspend setting to S3

then go set your DRAM voltage to your manufacters specified voltage and set your ram timings.

I have installed Gigabytes BETA bios, manually activated S3, tried several different controller on several different computers - only ONE was stable, it was on an AMD system where the AMD controller actually worked for the hour or so I had access to it.

I have reinstalled windows at least 20 different times trying to figure this out.

I am now using S1 sleep awaiting a new firmware which probably NEVER will get released.

in your BIOS don't leave the voltages on Auto that may cause some instability. i recommend you to manually add the default voltages instead of leaving it on Auto. also try and disable "Require Password from wake up" from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options your selected plan---> advanced power settings --->require password from wake up ---> No

in your BIOS don't leave the voltages on Auto that may cause some instability. i recommend you to manually add the default voltages instead of leaving it on Auto. also try and disable "Require Password from wake up" from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options your selected plan---> advanced power settings --->require password from wake up ---> No

I have tried all of that, no luck.

However, I was just allowed to bring the disk back for a full refund.

For me the question now is what disk to get instead.

I have tried all of that, no luck.

However, I was just allowed to bring the disk back for a full refund.

For me the question now is what disk to get instead.

Not even ******** disks are trustworthy!

And if I get a new force GT, I can bet €100 it will also BSOD on me :/

Archived