The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Mad Scientist
Davyc's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439762
Davyc Reputation: 10

PNutts you are a gem lol .... yes I took a hammer to my SSD, visionary style lol. I'm not so daft as to smash an expensive piece of hardware that I can resell.

I have, however, removed the drive from my computer as I find my spinners just as efficient; maybe not in booting, perhaps not in launching programs as fast (save a few seconds here and there) - but in their actual use I see no difference. I can type only so fast, so Word, Excel and Publisher gain nothing from my SSD. Internet Explorer is governed by the speed of my ISP connection, my emails arrive just as quickly and movies, music and photo editing likewise see no great benefit from having an SSD in my machine.

I love technology and I would like to see SSD's move ahead, which they will in time. My concern right here and now is the firmware issue and I appear to be making more headway, so far, with Indilinx than I am with Corsair, which is crazy. I don't know whose NDA's the staff are governed by (Indilinx's or Corsair's or some other party we know nothing about) but the guy I'm conversing with at Indilinx has mentioned nothing about NDA's; which doesn't mean they're not in place, just that we are unware whose they are and why they're in place.

I really am dismayed at Corsair's stand with regards to this very important issue and it is costing them dearly - if Seldom's company is updating 500 laptops with SSD's and we take the middle ground (UK prices here) a 128GB Corsair Extreme SSD normally retails at around £320.00 = £160,000 or equivalent $ exchange = $252,484 ... I don't know about anyone else but that is a LOT of lost sales from just one customer.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 PM
PNutts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439877
PNutts Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyc View Post
PNutts you are a gem lol .... yes I took a hammer to my SSD, visionary style lol. I'm not so daft as to smash an expensive piece of hardware that I can resell.
I was wondering if you did. I'm glad to hear you still have a smokin' hot drive (even if the FW is not where it could be). I can certainly imagine someone getting angry enough to do so, and the thought has crossed my mind on things more expensive than an SSD. If you change your mind, be sure to put it on YouTube.

I am going to be *so* banned...

Last edited by Yellowbeard; 02-16-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 439878
DTHCoCo Reputation: 10

Strange, I have been reading this post with interest. I wonder why when I purchased my X128D1 on the 06/02/2010 it came with firmware 2.0 and works fine with trim. I think I smell a dirty rat, maybe hardware different on controller maybe 1.0 customers gets dumped

Otherwise, what is the real issue with putting on a working 2.0 firmware, I have heard some real lame excuses before, I think this takes the cake.

Last edited by Wired; 02-16-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: merged posts

Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 439881
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHCoCo View Post
Otherwise, what is the real issue with putting on a working 2.0 firmware, I have heard some real lame excuses before, I think this takes the cake.
You should read a lot more than this thread. Your question has been answered numerous times.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439883
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHCoCo View Post
Strange, I have been reading this post with interest. I wonder why when I purchased my X128D1 on the 06/02/2010 it came with firmware 2.0 and works fine with trim. I think I smell a dirty rat, maybe hardware different on controller maybe 1.0 customers gets dumped

Like he said, read the whole thread. The factories flash firmware in a completely different way than consumers would (e.g. expensive equipment).
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 439889

DTHCoCo, your input has been noted and is completely off topic. Stay on topic and within the forum rules or refrain from posting.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 AM

POST ID # = 440080
JKswe Reputation: 10

Any news on the subject?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:19 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 440081

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84600

Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Mad Scientist
Davyc's PC Specs

POST ID # = 440088

I am still in discussion with Indilinx at this time. They have asked for a lot of information and I have been providing this over several emails. I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to Sungdong Cho (aka Harry) and to his colleagues for taking the time to help.

One piece of useful information that has been given is for the wiper.exe tool - in as much as that it is "very difficult to find out whether Wiper has a direct effect on lifetime of SSDs or not". A much more considered and enlightening answer than Corsairs - we do not support this tool! Period.

There has to be a better level of cooperation from Corsair - you can't just cold shoulder your customers and ignore their requests with nondescript and cryptic answers or hide behind NDA's. Your customers have put their money and their faith in Corsair as a trusted and valued supplier and as such I would like to ask Yellowbeard "who is developing the update utility?" This would not breach any NDA as we're not asking for a detailed workings of the program code, just who is responsible for the utility. Even if the answer is 'not Corsair' then it would bolster the understanding of your customers with regards your position.

Banning your customers from this forum for having an opinion. I've seen some of the posts that users were banned for posting and, in my opinion, it was unwarranted. Having spoken to some of these people they are staggered by the heavy handed attitude.

There are a lot of mixed and conflicting feelings and opinions - you need to cut through the crap and be honest and forthcoming so people know where they stand; even if the answers are not what they want, at least they will know they are not being deceived or mislead and that there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

I know, as do many others, that some people could care less about this issue - especially those running raid arrays because TRIM is ineffective for raid, but for the rest of us it is a very important issue. It is not reasonable to expect people to image, secure erase and reimage their drives in order to maintain performance, nor is it reasonable to ask them to take the time to download programs and take on an often steep learning curve to use them. For many this is beyond their capabilities, for the rest it is an unecessary inconvenience; especially when a solution is available.

A lot of time and investment has gone into people's purchases of an SSD and they just want to get on and use it and appreciate the value it brings - they don't want constant conflict with the supplier, they don't want to spend hours maintaining performance and they don't want to chase other companies for answers to their questions.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 440090
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Banning your customers from this forum for having an opinion. I've seen some of the posts that users were banned for posting and, in my opinion, it was unwarranted. Having spoken to some of these people they are staggered by the heavy handed attitude.
You haven't seen the posts that they were banned for. I admin 3 different forums and this forum by far is the most lenient. If people are getting banned here, it's for a good reason. Keep in mind most bans here are only for a couple of days (cooling down period as it were).
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Tekgun's PC Specs

POST ID # = 440098
Tekgun Reputation: 10

Quote:
I am still in discussion with Indilinx at this time.
Davyc, Thanks for taking the time to do this, I'm sure many people are interested in what you might learn.
I love my X64 it's like greesed lightning, but it would be nice to have trim support also.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Mad Scientist
Davyc's PC Specs

POST ID # = 440100

@ Wired

I know you don't work for Corsair but adminstrate/moderate this forum. I have indeed seen some of the posts and truly a ban was uncalled for. When people are banned for asking a legitimate question without resorting to profanity or appearing demeaning in any way, then it begs the question of legitimacy and forthrightness of Corsair.

It is not unreasonable to ask why there is a delay, what it causing the delay, what timescale are we looking at (even an estimate allowing for slippage), who is responsible for the development of the update utility, why other m/f's have manged to release it (yes with a few issues, most of which are user instigated for not following directions), why people are being told to contact other companies for answers to questions, why answers are brief, cryptic, conflicting and quite often misleading, why NDA's are in place for something that is out there and being used by millions (generally they are only in place whilst something is at the early stages of development) ..... do you see a pattern?

It's all WHY? And other than cautioning people, repeating nondescript answers and banning people there are no 'real' tangible or acceptable answers being given. As I said in my last post no one WANTS conflict, we all just want what everyone else has so that we can get on using our computers and SSD's without all the hassle and unecessary grief. As Jimmo stated this is a SUPPORT FORUM, but support is what we are not getting.

@ Tekgun

It is the least I can do ... I want my drive to fly and soar and if what I am doing helps others along the way then that is worthwhile bonus. I can't guarantee a positive result from Indilinx as they are not the drive m/f, being only responsible for the controller aspect and they can't dictate Corsair policy. What I can say, so far, is that they have been more helpful and forthcoming. I'm also in contact with others (tech people, companies and end users) and they have been helpful too. Expect more when it arrives.

Last edited by Davyc; 02-18-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM

POST ID # = 440103
Diecast61 Reputation: 10
Default When?

Quote:
I am still in discussion with Indilinx at this time. They have asked for a lot of information and I have been providing this over several emails. I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to Sungdong Cho (aka Harry) and to his colleagues for taking the time to help.
Davyc -- Thanks for your efforts with this. I am sure it is time consuming and it is appreciated.

Just another point of fact that Corsair mgmt needs to consider -- many of us with X256 drives on this forum have had to RMA them -- some more than once -- at our own expense. The original drives were firmware 1.0 and the drives returned to us were firmware 1.1. Promises & statements were made by Corsair -- whether explicit or implicit -- that were taken into consideration when we purchased our X Series drives.

So .. with this in mind -- at a minimum -- we as your customers deserve the truth -- and deserve an honest answer on when we can expect the firmware upgrade. Even a range of dates would be acceptable.

If the truth is that you are not going to provide us with the firmware and tool within a reasonable time frame -- then you should give us some options -- RMA our drives for X Series with the upgraded firmware, RMA our drives for the recently released models (would go a long way in restoring customer faith) or extend the warranty on our X Series drives to 3 years -- as partial compensation when you actually do release a firmware upgrade.

For those electing to RMA, postage to and from should also be picked up by Corsair -- as many of us have already gone through this expense at least once.

Yes -- I know all of this costs money. However, just look at the impact poor quality and not addressing it timely is having on Toyota. In addition to the cost of the recalls -- potentially with more on the way -- they now have the added expenses of additional advertising -- and more importantly -- the loss of consumer confidence and therefore a related decline in sales.

Reputation is not something easily repaired. A dissatisfied customer tends to tell at least 9 other people -- whereas a satisfied customer tends to only tell 1 or 2. As they say -- pay me now or pay me later -- but you will end up paying me.

The time for generic responses has come and gone -- it is time for Corsair to provide specifics.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 440137
RAM GUY Reputation: 10
Default Wtf

Please change your screen name and then you can call me if you still have questions!
However, the forum is ran independent of Corsair and if the rules of the forum are not followed they will enforce the forum rules.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Mad Scientist
Davyc's PC Specs

POST ID # = 440244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh Its Boring View Post
POST REMOVED
I cant see anything in that post that could warrant a ban. It is madness on that part of Corsair to ban people for having an opinion - a valid opinion that neither resorts to profanity nor breaches any rules (at least none that I can see). I also noticed another customer banned after just one post - which again contained nothing that warranted such action.

Corsair has past the point of alienating itself from its customers. As I have said several times, no one wants conflict - just sensible and rational answers that have some meaning and depth to them from simple questions.

If you get into a war with your customers then you will lose ... it is difficult enough to get new customers, difficult to hang on to those you have in these financially troubled times and it is nigh on impossible to get them back once you have lost them ... especially when you lose them because of a fault on your part.

I find this sad to the point of hilarity.

Last edited by Wired; 02-19-2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: nuked banned post