The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned
Jimmo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439293
Jimmo Reputation: 10
Default So boring

Ok this is boring me to tears of rage.

Yellowbeard, is Corsair going to allow this contant slanging of its company without APPROPRIATELY dealing with the problems and issues?

Just tell us what is happening and I am sure the gathering mob will disperse.

You can try to handle this with moderation and patience if you like, but it won't work. INFORMATION is what is needed. I N F O R M A T I O N.

You have it. We all know you have it. It may not be what we want to hear, but we want to hear it anyway. And we want to hear it now.

Last edited by Jimmo; 02-12-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 439300
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Jimmo
This Information as you stated; has already been stated there is no update at the moment to release. The only way to get the latest firmware is to purchase a new drive. We are working with several controller manufacturers on a verity of different projects one of which is Indolinx and firmware updates for X-Series drives and the update utility is buggy at best and not ready for release in our opinion. This can be verified by searching other SSD manufacturers sites that use the same controller and you will see long threads more than 100 posts long in some cases since they released the update with users having problems. This may change but at the moment that is our position.

Davyc
You have been a help to other users and we do thank you for that, but this is a support only forum and we have stated what we can about this subject. If you feel there is an issue that requires you to consult with your reseller about the policy in your country that is between the reseller and you; we would not be able to comment one way or the other. That would not be a Technical support concern sorry! I would have to direct you to our customer service rmaservice@corsairmemory.com or call them at http://www.corsair.com/en-us/company/contact Ext "0".

However, I must mention again these drives were developed before the release of Windows 7 and TRIM support for Windows 7 is nice to have but not available on this drive until firmware version 2.0. Or a drive that was manufactured after on or about November of 2009. And that was never promised in the pre-release of this product. It was supposed to support firmware updates but the utility to do that is and has been the issue which remains unresolved.
This is a feature for one O.S. and only this O.S. ATM! If you use any other O.S. it is not an issue at all. This does not prevent the drive from functioning in fact it is still one of the faster drives on the market there is no reason to return a drive because of the firmware version. Only if the drive has a failure.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 02-12-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Crazykiwi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439306
Crazykiwi Reputation: 10
Default Expectations are the issue for me

Although using a web-etailer to purchase, I spoke to a person when I ordered my SSD and asked specific questions about upgradeability and dates on TRIM support. The dealer told me that my X128 was upgreadable and TRIM would follow once Win7 was released - because they had been told this by Corsair.

Someone in Corsair set the expectations with the dealer who set the expectations with me. Now all I have is finger pointing between Corsair RMA and the dealer as to whose problem it is.

Once again I ask - why can't Corsair either offer a recall of these old drives for upgrade or enable their dealers to upgrade them (with a specific hardware setup that us friendly to the update utility)? Your beancounters will squirm as will those of your dealers but the loss of business you are facing (both current and future business) has to be taken into account.

Personally, I have gone from being a fan and advocate of Corsair to something much less over this issue. I work for a very large IT organisation and our internal discussion forums comment on the contents of this forum - you are being watched. I know of more than twenty cases where Corsair has not been the SSD of choice for a colleague purchase - because of this forum. Personally, I system build in my spare time and you have not been the choice of several of my latest projects and are hanging by a thread for the large order I about to fulfil (30 drives by mid-March).

Your hands are tied - no one is telling you anything and you are taking the heat from a frustrated user base. Your frustration with us is understandable. The fact that we are still bothering to comment is an indication we are trying to help you and we still care. This will probably be my last post which should tell you I am ceasing to care any more.

Your managers need to seriously escalate this to get the proper executive attention.

Good luck

Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 439308
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Someone in Corsair set the expectations with the dealer who set the expectations with me. Now all I have is finger pointing between Corsair RMA and the dealer as to whose problem it is.
A: I have already answered that and I am sorry the reseller told you that but there is not much I can say expect talk to the reseller.
Quote:
Once again I ask - why can't Corsair either offer a recall of these old drives for upgrade or enable their dealers to upgrade them (with a specific hardware setup that us friendly to the update utility)? Your bean counters will squirm as will those of your dealers but the loss of business you are facing (both current and future business) has to be taken into account.
A: I am already answered that more than once, please don't ask again.
Quote:
This does not prevent the drive from functioning in fact it is still one of the faster drives on the market there is no reason to return a drive because of the firmware version. Only if the drive has a failure.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439332
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
If folks would stay on topic the forum would be a better resource and the moderators wouldn't have to make judgement calls.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo Real View Post
The firmware update utility could be provided as a beta product on an "as-is" basis to anyone that requests it specifically by filling out a "beta tester" form (in other words available by request to anyone who's willing to play with it).
All I'll say is that you and others who have suggested this are assuming too much about multiple variables. Yes, I know this statement is overly cryptic :) Put another way: approach it like you would an enigma. (From Wikipedia: An enigma is a type of riddle generally expressed in metaphorical or allegorical language that requires ingenuity and careful thinking for its solution.)
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
PNutts's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439345
PNutts Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykiwi View Post
The dealer told me that my X128 was upgreadable and TRIM would follow once Win7 was released...
Your dealer is correct, just not yet. We're waiting for TRIM to follow.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 PM

POST ID # = 439352
Hotrod Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyc View Post

Romeo: I've already suggested such a deployment in as much as the firmware and update could be distributed by PM to those people whose configurations are not in conflict with the update utility. I also suggested that anyone who is willing to help in this manner be given a safety net of an RMA if things go badly. Yes this takes up time and yes it can cost Corsair some dollars, but it will go a long way to testing and providing feedback on the ultility. I'm not advocating releasing this en-mass, but in a controlled way that minimises risks to both sides. In a way it can be looked upon as a compromise.

There will be some who will complain that they haven't been included, but in the end those who do participate will be providing feedback that could hurry the full deployment. If some do get their hands on the update who are not included in the test and they brick their drive/s then tough on them - you don't play with fire if you don't want to get burned.

It is a suggestion only and one which I believe will be of great benefit to everyone.
Count me in im willing to sign any NDA and give it a spin and have everything backed up - hit me :)

Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned
Jimmo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439354
Jimmo Reputation: 10

FROM YELLOWBEARD: Posts like this that I have had to remove WILL result in the thread closing. Out of respect for the people who are following the rules here, you can follow them also or stop posting.

Last edited by Yellowbeard; 02-12-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: EVERY QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Randy Myers's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439376
Randy Myers Reputation: 10

I have decided to stay on the sidelines in this thread. I have stated my opinion on this topic in other threads and have asked for input for the decession as to which drives I will be purchasing. I believe SSD is the way of the future and the article confirmed the information that I had determined through my own research. TRIM is essential; Intel and Indilinx are the two top controllers with Samsung coming in a distanct third. I will choose from Intel or Indilinx. Prior to this whole debacle the choice was simple, Corsair was my go to company. Now this is not so. I will research and choice this weekend and make my purchase. It depends on what the deals are that I find and from which resellers I most trust. It is too bad that such a wonderful product has caused Corsair's reputation to be "dinged" so badly....

If I were in a postion at Corsair I would be very much questioning why two companies get preferential treatment over Corsair, especially when coming into this new technology Corsair would have been concidered the highest respected of the three. Now the new products that are being released are both using the Indilinx controller (from what I have read in multiple articles). This again confirms that Corsair also believes that it is a better choice and one would think it would give Corsair a bit more of a say or at least a higher power position with indilinx.

Anyway, I probably will not be posting too much more in these forums. It is far too frustrating and life is just too short.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Mad Scientist
Davyc's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439380
Davyc Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
Anyway, I probably will not be posting too much more in these forums. It is far too frustrating and life is just too short.
Agreed Randy .... time to move on. Corsair have had their chance, missed numerous opportunities to be more cooperative instead of defensive and confrontational. There is no sign of compromise, no sign of any genuine attempt to resolve this issue.

The only signs are that people are, in a roundabout way, being told to shut up, that questions asked have already been answered (moot point) and now people are being banned for having an opinion. !!!BAD!!!

I've removed my X-64 from my computer, taken a hammer to it and binned it; call it frustration of the nth degree. I'm looking at other m/f's products now and will decide where to lay my hat of loyalty when I have reached a decision.

I have, regrettably, joined the ranks of the discontented, disheartened and forgotten. If you have an X-Series drive don't hold your breath for a firmware update - the X-Series will become a legacy drive soon and support will be withdrawn; that, at least from my point of view, is what Corsair seem to have in mind. Adios!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Crazykiwi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439381
Crazykiwi Reputation: 10
Default an apology

...the last point is a great one and I will only add an apology.

My CIO rang me from the US last night and we discussed my last post. It turns out that the hardware refresh we are running on our demo laptops will include SSD to allow us to run virtual machines better. We have 1300 of these laptops worldwide and 500 will be upgraded in the first phase.

Corsair has not been selected as it is deemed to be too far removed from the controller manufacturer. Other SSD vendors have brought out updates in a 'timely manner' and our organisation is going with one of them.

I wanted to pass this on to point out what is happening to your customer base as a result of this X-series situation. Hopefully you can do something about it and regain our confidence.

My apologies for the loss of business.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 AM
weekender's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439389
weekender Reputation: 10

Guys, stop complaining. Just sell your ssd on ebay and go buy a ssd from another brand.
Our X serie ssd will probably already be dead by the time a firmware update is available.
Corsair is obviously only good for RAM memory. Failure to provide a firmware update just shows us that they weren't prepared to go in the ssd market.

I've now learned that a company making a good product "A", doesn't mean their product "B" will be of the same standard.

Sorry Corsair, but I'll only stick to your memory products in the future.
Only buy what a company is specialized in and known for.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439403
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

LOL, anyone got a corkscrew?

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
PeroTT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439423
PeroTT Reputation: 10
Default Now my X128 has died......

Well, back from my 24hr ban put on me by Yellowbeard yesterday. Tbh i don't think my questions was off topic as i asked it in Randy Myers thread where he wanted advice on weather to stay with Corsair or go with another m/f.

But thats history now.......i don't need to be here and i don't have to buy parts to my PC from Corsair.

Turning on my PC this morning made me confused as it haulted on the self-test during boot-up.

Bootmgr is missing, press ctrl-alt-delete to restart

Omg , restarted and booted into Bios to find my X128 not detected. Turned PC off, powered off, cleared cmos, re-seated the sata-cables, restarted again only to get the same error again.

Tried the X128 in another pc, still dead, put my Raptor in my pc, same sata-port as the SSD, and voila, directly into windows.

i think it is safe to conclude i have a dead X128

I went out during the day today and bought a new one, sorry Corsair, not from you, so i am up and running again, with TRIM this time.

I have not decided what i will do with my dead X128 yet, what is sure though is that i will not spend approx 100 Euro to ship it w/tracking and insurance to the Netherlands only to get it replaced by another with FW 1.0. i will simply await Corsair's respond to this post and see their suggestion. i suspect i end up with a nice paperweight or something......

Take care all, nice to get to get to know you a little through this forum. i wish you all the best for the future.

Corsair, i suspect you will offer me a standard RAM-procedure. I wish you also all the best for the future and i sincerely hope you sort out your problems.

Take care all.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 439434
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroTT View Post
Well, back from my 24hr ban put on me by Yellowbeard yesterday. Tbh i don't think my questions was off topic as i asked it in Randy Myers thread where he wanted advice on weather to stay with Corsair or go with another m/f.

But thats history now.......i don't need to be here and i don't have to buy parts to my PC from Corsair.

Turning on my PC this morning made me confused as it haulted on the self-test during boot-up.

Bootmgr is missing, press ctrl-alt-delete to restart

Omg , restarted and booted into Bios to find my X128 not detected. Turned PC off, powered off, cleared cmos, re-seated the sata-cables, restarted again only to get the same error again.

Tried the X128 in another pc, still dead, put my Raptor in my pc, same sata-port as the SSD, and voila, directly into windows.

i think it is safe to conclude i have a dead X128

I went out during the day today and bought a new one, sorry Corsair, not from you, so i am up and running again, with TRIM this time.

I have not decided what i will do with my dead X128 yet, what is sure though is that i will not spend approx 100 Euro to ship it w/tracking and insurance to the Netherlands only to get it replaced by another with FW 1.0. i will simply await Corsair's respond to this post and see their suggestion. i suspect i end up with a nice paperweight or something......

Take care all, nice to get to get to know you a little through this forum. i wish you all the best for the future.

Corsair, i suspect you will offer me a standard RAM-procedure. I wish you also all the best for the future and i sincerely hope you sort out your problems.

Take care all.
PeroTT, please use this link to RMA your drive. We are sorry you had a failure.

CORSAIR RMA LINK