The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Randy Myers's PC Specs

POST ID # = 434471
Randy Myers Reputation: 10

After a huge amount of time trying and experimenting with all options, what has worked the best for me is:

1) image the drive with Acronis.
2) use Parted Magic boot disk and select the erase disk option form its start menu, and then secure erase (may find that drive is frozen, if this is the case reboot with the SSD SATA cable unpluged, then plug cable back in after booted)
3) restore image from the Acronis boot disk, Acronis backup.

This seems to work every time for me....

Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 AM
JoeSchmuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 434480
JoeSchmuck Reputation: 10

Randy,
Thanks for the advice. I'll give Parted Magic a try.

-Joe

Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM

POST ID # = 435104
spruce66 Reputation: 10

Randy's suggestion is working to my P128
Thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 PM

POST ID # = 439349
hln98 Reputation: 10

Hi Randy,

I tried your suggestion, using Parted Magic boot disk and tested it on a regular laptop hard drive in a USB enclosure and only could do a regular (wipe) erase instead of the "Secure Erase" you spoke off.

The only drive that I could perform a secure erase was the internal drive of the machine I was using to boot Parted Magic CD with and didn't want to do that :)

My question is by erasing (wipe) erased should be good enough to be done on my SSD P256? or does it have to be "Secure Erase"?

Remember I am only using a USB external drive on a small laptop drive as a test.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 AM
JoeSchmuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439405

Folks are reporting Diskeeper version 10 (has SSD support) will restore your SSD performance without deleting the data on your SSD. It's unfortunately not free but the trial version is which works for a period of time.

Since you have a P256 the latest firmware should be doing the trick already. Randy has an X series which didn't have the firmware update to support GC and TRIM.

-Joe

Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM

POST ID # = 439640
Default Diskeeper with HyperFast does not do anything for SSD

Reported from Tom's Hardware that Diskeeper with HyperFast, claimed my Diskeeper Corp that HyperFast can defrag SSD. According to many forums, including OCZs, non of the SSD drives with HyperFast performed yield any improvements.

Stay away from HyperFast.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
JoeSchmuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439671

I was under the impresstion via posted results that Hyperfast on an X-series SSD actually improved performance.

Oh well..

Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Englishman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439801
Englishman Reputation: 10

Well, it works for me.

I have two X32's in RAID 0 and have been backing up a system image, removing the array, erasing each drive, configuring a new array and restoring every few weeks to get write performance back, but with Hyperfast seems to keep performance to around 90% of a fresh install performance. Previously performance was degrading to 65% after a few weeks.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
cwichner's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439806
cwichner Reputation: 10
Default Diskeeper worked for me, with graphs

Diskeeper worked for me, restoring performance as shown below by the Atto benchmarks (default settings). Pretty impressive.

However, after it ran for a day, I had an IRQ blue screen + reboot, which hasn't happened since I reinstalled my OS. I have one of the early x128 SSDs, so I think it is specific to that first generation of units. Anyone else getting Blue Screen with Diskeeper?

Before.png

After.png

Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
JoeSchmuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439844

Yeap, that's what I thought. Diskeeper is worth using for those who don't have TRIM or a way to collect garbage, like an X series SSD. Sometimes people just speak without checking everything out. I can't test out Diskeeper properly and give it a valid thumbs up or down because I have a P128 and since I like Diskeeper I would be biased, but those who have the X series can validate it's effectiveness like you last two did.

Cheers,
Joe

Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 439855
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I did quite a bit of testing with Diskeeper and I never saw a problem like that, are you sure that was not from some other cause like a driver or BIOS issue maybe?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 AM
JoeSchmuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439921

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I did quite a bit of testing with Diskeeper and I never saw a problem like that, are you sure that was not from some other cause like a driver or BIOS issue maybe?
Were you pointing that question to me or hln98?

-Joe

Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
cwichner's PC Specs

POST ID # = 439943
cwichner Reputation: 10

Hi Ramguy,

I have had a nicely stable system for a couple of months, running Windows Server 2008 R2 now with no bios changes and only the MS Updates of last week. So while it could have been just a general system crash, Diskeeper was simply a proximate change, with the PC crashing about 24 hours after I installed it. Diskeeper was active when it crashed as well. I didn't troubleshoot beyond that, and am simply waiting to see if it happens again and a pattern emerges.

Aside from that, Diskeeper improved write speeds by 50%, and read speeds by ~20%, nearly as good as new, without requiring any reformatting of disks per the start of this thread. So I would definitely recommend people try out Diskeeper (trial edition) at least until the firmware update comes out.

Best regards,
Craig

Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM

POST ID # = 440329

I found a solution to my SSD ATA secure erase problem WITHOUT using an "external enclosure":

Here are the steps:

0. Back up my SSD, using SuperDuper app to another regular 2.5 hard drive

1. Put in the Gparted Live CD created with the downloaded ISO and turn off my MacBookPro (MBP)

2. Open the back of my MBP and removed SSD and leave the MBP back open. I put MBP on a phone book so that the hard drive wire is exposed to the side.

3. Boot with CD, without any drive or SSD connected. Will boot straight from CD.

4. After completely booted into Gparted Live, plug in the SSD to the internal SATA cable in the back of my MBP. I like to stress that this is the internal cable for the internal drive and NOT cables from any external enclosure whatsoever.

5. Then I did a hdparm -I /dev/sda and see that my drive is NOT "Frozen". This is the only way to have your SSD NOT frozen.

6. I then proceeded with setting a password and could secure erase my SSD with success. These steps were outlined from the first post of this topic.

I am back with incredible speed just like when I first got it.

Last edited by hln98; 02-19-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM

POST ID # = 443658
Tomas2007 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuck View Post
Guess I missed something... TRIM doesn't work on Windoze 7 64-bit version? Where was/is that written?
Well I meant the trimming FIRMWARE (official), not the trim function itself.
As far as I know, Samsung firmware officially supported by Corsair is only for 32bit/X86:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83708

Maybe I had missed something - and I haven't cared since I found another solution - but anyway of course when I used the Wiper "unsupported" software, trimming went down nicely.