Corsair Community

adding more RAM which one will match current?

StevenT

I have 2-8 GIG memory modules in my PC and want to add another 2-8 gig sticks. Currently have "Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory CMV8GX4M1A2133C15".

What will match the current setup to bring it to 32Gig?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi Steven. I'm not an expert, but my understanding of mixing memory kits is that it's a bit hit and miss. Even if you used an identical kit to the one you have, identical timings etc, there's a good chance that you'll have memory issues somewhere down the line, more so if you start using xmp profiles.

I'm in the same boat as yourself - I'm running 2x8gb kit but want to up it to 32gb so I'm having to buy a quad kit as I'm using xmp I profile with oc and a memory mismatch would not sit well for me.

So, I'm sure the experts here will reiterate that mixing is at best a 50-50 crap shoot.

I would say getting a new 32GB kit you would likely have less of a chance of having any problems since they were supposed to be tested together and packaged together because they worked properly together at the rated speed.

In contrast to that, in my situation I made sure to get two identical 16GB kits (model and version number, and packaging). In my case it was 2 x Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 (ver 5.30) for 32GB in 4 by 4 slot configuration, overclocked to 2933MHz and it seemed work fine. I got them in store so I was able to visually confirm I was getting what I asked for. Ordering online and expecting to match model and version number will probably be next to impossible.

However I will probably always question if the reason I couldn't reach 3200MHz (as compared to my 2 by 4 configuration) was because of differences between the two kits among other factors. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the replies. Good info to take into consideration. I don't OC. (last time I did I watched an IC on the MB go super nova. The board still works...LOL) I play World of Warcraft and wanting to use X-Plane which really wants the extra mem. I'll watch the price on both and if there's a decent drop I'll jump on the 32 kit. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. Good info to take into consideration. I don't OC. (last time I did I watched an IC on the MB go super nova. The board still works...LOL) I play World of Warcraft and wanting to use X-Plane which really wants the extra mem. I'll watch the price on both and if there's a decent drop I'll jump on the 32 kit. Thanks again.

Oooh world of warcraft... how I miss it!! Played it since first release untill about 10 months ago! Been playing fallout 76 recently but there's more holes in that games code than a tea-bag lol.

I've just built myself a new pc and would love to see what wow looks like on it so may have to dust off my old shield and scabbard and get back in ;)

Good luck with the memory hunting - I'm still trying to work out if I should pay the extra cash and go for the Dominator Platinum kits or go for the vengeance range.

• 3 weeks later...
Oooh world of warcraft... how I miss it!! Played it since first release untill about 10 months ago! Been playing fallout 76 recently but there's more holes in that games code than a tea-bag lol.

I've just built myself a new pc and would love to see what wow looks like on it so may have to dust off my old shield and scabbard and get back in ;)

Good luck with the memory hunting - I'm still trying to work out if I should pay the extra cash and go for the Dominator Platinum kits or go for the vengeance range.

You already have an i9 so go for the best you can afford.

• Corsair Employee

Hello StevenT,

As djmarks mentioned, mixing kits can be hit or miss and wouldn't be recommended. It can cause stability issues even if both kits are fine.

As far as Dominator Platinum vs Vengeance, if they have the same specification, they are going to perform the same but the Dominator Platinum definitely looks better in my opinion and have a better potential overclocking wise. If you are looking at just running them at the rated speed, either will be fine depending on your aesthetic choice.

Archived