The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 10:58 PM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775563
egret85 Reputation: 10
Default Set up G key to toggle holding a keystroke

I can't figure out how to set up a G key on my K95 RGB to hold a key or series of keys until it is pressed again.

For example I want to be able to press the G key and have it start holding the key/keys and release the key/keys when pressed again. And example key would be 'W' or 'Shift+W'.

Something this basic shouldn't be so hard. My old keyboard had a toggle hold option when setting up a keystroke.

Is this possible with CUE? If not, It should be added as an option under the action repeat section for keystrokes, or add a way to add a pause to macros that pauses until the button is pressed again.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 775576
Corsair James Reputation: 75

You can remap a key to the G-keys. Does it not hold the key when you do so?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:13 AM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775584

Remapping a key means I have to hold the G key to have the key held.

I want to be able to have a G key toggle holding a key. so pressing it once makes the keyboard hold the 'W' key for example. Pressing it again causes the release of the 'W' key.

So pressing and releasing the G key, I want to have a key or key combination held down until I press and release the same G key again.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 PM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776137

Still have not found a way to do this in CUE. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 PM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 776138
Inheritance Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by egret85 View Post
Still have not found a way to do this in CUE. Any help would be appreciated.
Profiles -> Assignments -> right click a G key -> Massing new action. Everything you need is in Macro.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 PM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776141

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
Profiles -> Assignments -> right click a G key -> Massing new action. Everything you need is in Macro.
Macro do hot have the capability I need. I need to be able to have a G key TOGGLE HOLDING a key. This is very different than repeatedly pressing and releasing the key. The later, which is possible in macros as well as in the keystroke section, results in stuttering movement in a game if used for toggling the 'W' key for movement. I'm looking for a Toggle Hold capability. Other keyboards have this very simple option. Why does CUE not have it?

Here is an image that shows the different options that were available on my previous keyboard. Notice the "Toggle Hold" option which is different than "Toggle Auto-Repeat".
Attached Images
File Type: png AdvancedPlayBackOptions.png (321.5 KB, 994 views)

Old 04-29-2015, 12:33 AM
Keyboard Kommando
Kommando Kodiak's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776144
Kommando Kodiak Reputation: 10

see if the option "record delay between keys" is there. If it is see if it records how long a key is held down for

Old 04-29-2015, 12:46 AM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776147

Yes delay can be added, but when i'm looking for has no delay involved. I want to be able to do the following (Assume 'G1' key and the need to hold the 'W' key for this example)

1. Press and release 'G1' key.
-CUE should perform a key press on 'W' key

2. Indeterminate amount of time passes.

3. Press and release 'G1' Key.
-CUE should perform a Key release on 'W' key

As you can see there is no delay involved. just a press and release of a desired key using a G key as the toggle. The only thing I have found that can be done is with a repeated keystroke or a macro repeated. In both cases the result is as if you repeatedly spam the key instead of hold the key down. I also don't understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp. Holding a key is not the same a repeatedly pressing a key.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:26 AM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 776150

THere is no way to do what your asking for.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:57 AM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776152

Well since other keyboards that are competitors to corsair can do it, I hope it is a feature that can be added to an update of CUE. There are so many issues with the CUE software that actually impact the ability to use the keyboard for what it was designed for, gaming. Seems these kind of things are just being overlooked since all anyone wants to talk about is colors and light animation. Really wish some attention would be giving to fixing issues and missing features that impact gaming capability. Hopefully Corsair James sees this and can add this feature to the list of requested features.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:46 AM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 776157

Quote:
Well since other keyboards that are competitors to corsair can do it, I hope it is a feature that can be added to an update of CUE. There are so many issues with the CUE software that actually impact the ability to use the keyboard for what it was designed for, gaming. Seems these kind of things are just being overlooked since all anyone wants to talk about is colors and light animation. Really wish some attention would be giving to fixing issues and missing features that impact gaming capability. Hopefully Corsair James sees this and can add this feature to the list of requested features.
no worries he sees everything.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 776355
Corsair James Reputation: 75

I'll add this to a feature request and see how difficult it is to implement. If its easy, it's more likely to be added in the near future.

The challenge Im facing now is where would I add such a feature? Would it be as a macro, or a keystroke?

Last edited by Corsair James; 04-29-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 PM
QuadraKev's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776372
QuadraKev Reputation: 14

Quote:
I can't figure out how to set up a G key on my K95 RGB to hold a key or series of keys until it is pressed again.

For example I want to be able to press the G key and have it start holding the key/keys and release the key/keys when pressed again. And example key would be 'W' or 'Shift+W'.

Something this basic shouldn't be so hard. My old keyboard had a toggle hold option when setting up a keystroke.

Is this possible with CUE? If not, It should be added as an option under the action repeat section for keystrokes, or add a way to add a pause to macros that pauses until the button is pressed again.
You can do this functionality with 2 different keys with just CUE, but doing it all on one key seems difficult. You could probably pull it off with XML editing.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 PM
egret85's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
I'll add this to a feature request and see how difficult it is to implement. If its easy, it's more likely to be added in the near future.

The challenge Im facing now is where would I add such a feature? Would it be as a macro, or a keystroke?
I think Macros would be the best place as it would give the most flexibility. If macros had a way to add a pause step that waited until the key is pressed again to resume the macro, it would allow the following:

1. have any number of key press events
2. have pause step
3. have the key release events from the keys in step 1.

The right click menu in the macro screen could have a "Add Pause" option right after the "Add Delay" option. This seems similar to the existing option for "Allow interruptions and then resume". The manual describes this option as follows: "The macro will pause if the key assigned to the macro is pressed again. You can perform other input in the game, then press the key assigned to the macro again to finish running the macro." Only difference is having a way to add a step to the macro that causes this pause to happen without pressing the button to pause it. The pause step would pause the macro execution until the macro is pressed again. The trigger for detecting this should be similar to how the current "terminate when pressed again" option detects when the macro is pressed again to stop the macro. Doing it in Macro would allow more flexibility for key combinations. I also think most of the foundation work needed to do this would already exist in the code given what other options exist in CUE currently.

Also thanks for seeing if this can be added. Hope this information helps.

Last edited by egret85; 04-29-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM
QuadraKev's PC Specs

POST ID # = 776564
QuadraKev Reputation: 14

My League of Legends profile has XML modifications that allow me to switch to a mode and hit the Enter key at the same time. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=134204

Here's how you would do what you're asking:

1. Make a profile with 3 modes. Two of these modes will contain the macros, while the third mode is just a necessity to make this work.

2. Make 2 separate macros for the key(s) you want held/released and assign them to the same key on both modes.

3. Delete the release events from the macro on the first mode, then delete the hold events from the macro on the second mode. Here's a picture showing what the first macro should look like:

4. Go to the third mode and select any 2 keys: Assign the first to switch to the first mode, and assign the second to switch to the second mode.

5. Export the profile and export the 2 macros.

6. Open up the .prf file (I'd recommend using Notepad++ as it keeps everything tidy).

7. Search for the first mode in the .prf by name, then scroll down until you see the mode ID. It will look something like this:

Code:
<id>{23423432-42343423-4324-23423-423423-23423423}</id>
8. Take the ID (in between the <id> tags) and search for it until you find the mode switching action with <DirectModeId> tags around it.

9. Copy the Mode Switch action ID (it will be surrounded by <id> tags, with the name "Mode switching (some number)" right below it).

10. Open up the .act file from the macro for the first mode that you exported and add the following line above the </Action> line:

Code:
<ChainedId>mode switching action ID from step 9, including {} brackets</ChainedId>
11. Repeat steps 7-10 for the second mode.

12. Save the modified .act files and reimport them.

Last edited by QuadraKev; 04-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.