The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 AM
ChuCho's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775699
ChuCho Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucko13 View Post
Ok, I just found out why (I think) the keyboard is flickering with the new update. What they did to achieve the 16.8m colors is to change the protocol (not that much tho). What they previously did was sending a 64byte packet 5 times with all the RGB codes. When you select the 16.8m color option in the GUI of corsair it will send 12 packets of 64bytes.

They use a bulkmessage to send the 12 packets as fast as posible but the hardware cant really handle that much information at the same time. What i did in my own software is add a really small delay (5 milliseconds) between every 4 packets (so 3x a delay) and that removed the flickering for my software.

maybe someone from corsair is reading this and can fix it by just a little software update ;)

Here is a screenshot of the simple GUI i made (just for programming profiles when im not at home) http://i.imgur.com/BDYba5V.png
Someone give this guy a job at corsair xD hope they hear your wise words...

Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM

POST ID # = 775710
ragedberserker Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuCho View Post
Someone give this guy a job at corsair xD hope they hear your wise words...
Corsair James, can you comment on this please?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM
ChuCho's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedberserker View Post
Corsair James, can you comment on this please?
i was kidding about the job thingy tho xD just wanted to highlight his post because i saw some knowledge right there

Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 PM

POST ID # = 775719
ragedberserker Reputation: 10

Quote:
i was kidding about the job thingy tho xD just wanted to highlight his post because i saw some knowledge right there
I was talking about the initial finding about the delays lol, not so much about the job.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 PM
ChuCho's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775721

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedberserker View Post
I was talking about the initial finding about the delays lol, not so much about the job.
then you should have been quoted his post and not mine :/

But yeah, lets see if them powerful people can do something with that info about the delays :D

Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 PM
delslow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775753
delslow Reputation: 10

Quote:

But yeah, lets see if them powerful people can do something with that info about the delays :D
Corsair James answered this in another thread. Nope, not related. Flickering is not going away.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
remilton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775762
remilton Reputation: 10

Quote:

Unfortunately, this is the final state for this version of the KB.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM

POST ID # = 775765
Jong Reputation: 10

Unless Corsair actually tried this, I'd say it's worth a go. Doesn't sound it would be hard to patch. Because Jucko clearly thinks it makes a big difference and he's the only one who can see. It could, just could, be that Corsair know that what they are doing is overtaxing the hardware and are just assuming that all of what we see is because of that, when some, even most, could be due to the timing issue Jucko is raising.

Last edited by Jong; 04-27-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:39 PM
morris8809's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775814
morris8809 Reputation: 11

Problem is, corsair isn't going to keep sinking labor into this kB when they are probably making a revision that will work properly. At this point its take the lighting or leave it. If you want good static colors, turn on 16.8m colors. If you want non seizure inducing animations then use 512color mode. If this makes you angry, then speak with your wallet and get your money back.

First the k70 had leds going out, now they can't build a rgb kB with proper hardware to do the job. All this after stringing us along for months to end up in no better spot than where we started is unacceptable. I'll be looking elsewhere for my hardware from now on as this will be my last corsair purchase. /rant

Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 PM

POST ID # = 775845
RusselC Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffo View Post
Terrible spelling and grammar, but if you can make any sense of that ridiculous comment, you'll find that it's ridiculous.
Please stop with this personal vendetta as it's getting very childish.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:19 PM

POST ID # = 775851
Riekopo Reputation: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucko13 View Post
Ok, I just found out why (I think) the keyboard is flickering with the new update. What they did to achieve the 16.8m colors is to change the protocol (not that much tho). What they previously did was sending a 64byte packet 5 times with all the RGB codes. When you select the 16.8m color option in the GUI of corsair it will send 12 packets of 64bytes.

They use a bulkmessage to send the 12 packets as fast as posible but the hardware cant really handle that much information at the same time. What i did in my own software is add a really small delay (5 milliseconds) between every 4 packets (so 3x a delay) and that removed the flickering for my software.

maybe someone from corsair is reading this and can fix it by just a little software update ;)

Here is a screenshot of the simple GUI i made (just for programming profiles when im not at home) http://i.imgur.com/BDYba5V.png
It sounds to me like you're confirming what Corsair has said. They can eliminate the flickering, but it would affect the performance of the keyboard. That is, introduce 15 miliseconds of delay.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 PM

POST ID # = 775854
PrimE11 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riekopo View Post
It sounds to me like you're confirming what Corsair has said. They can eliminate the flickering, but it would affect the performance of the keyboard. That is, introduce 15 miliseconds of delay.
But if you are not gaming and just using the keyboard in a casual way... would 15ms be really that bad if it would mean that we get the full spectrum of colors and effects without any downside like flickering.

I personally wouldnt care about a small delay and for gaming I would just use static colors or the 512 color mode, if I want animations.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:31 PM

POST ID # = 775860
Riekopo Reputation: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimE11 View Post
But if you are not gaming and just using the keyboard in a casual way... would 15ms be really that bad if it would mean that we get the full spectrum of colors and effects without any downside like flickering.

I personally wouldnt care about a small delay and for gaming I would just use static colors or the 512 color mode, if I want animations.
Jucko13 seems to think Corsair can "fix" the keyboard. They can't. We can't have it both ways. Either we get good performance and flickering or bad performance and no flickering. They screwed up when they chose the hardware. There's nothing that can be done about it.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM

POST ID # = 775864
Proffo Reputation: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusselC View Post
Please stop with this personal vendetta as it's getting very childish.
There's no personal vendetta. I was simply defending myself against the accusation that I'd posted something ridiculous.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 PM
morris8809's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775899
morris8809 Reputation: 11

Not sure if this is possible or not, but is there a way to prioritize the key input over color data? If so, couldn't this keep the input lag down, and help out on the lighting side as well. Just asking as I have no experience on the software side of things.

Closed Thread