Corsair Community

Blinking red and green light in HX850i

Charly2nd

My power supply shows a blinking red/green light.

Is this normal, or is it symptom of a problem?

I bought it and installed it within the last 10 days. My new build seems to be working fine otherwise.

New edit:

After uninstalling Corsair link (which was not detecting all my hardware components), there is only a solid green light left now. So, was it just a software problem? I always assume that 'red' is bad.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

No. It's fine.

Solid green means it's working... but blinking between green and red means there's data communication between the PSU and the USB controller.

Think of it like an HDD activity light, or the LED on a USB thumb drive.

• 6 months later...
My power supply shows a blinking red/green light.

Is this normal, or is it symptom of a problem?

I bought it and installed it within the last 10 days. My new build seems to be working fine otherwise.

New edit:

After uninstalling Corsair link (which was not detecting all my hardware components), there is only a solid green light left now. So, was it just a software problem? I always assume that 'red' is bad.

Thanks

Hi there

Well idont think what you discovered there practically is accurate. blinking is indeed away to see that the psu communicates through the usb with the program link but even if you minimize the program it will still continue to blink just in a slower rate.

The only way to make it stay green both psu and commander is to close the program.

Now my question. Is it possible to turn the led at least from the psu off (i dont want to be burnt just from blinking eternally since the link program always runs in the background minimized)

Solid green means it's working... but blinking between green and red means there's data communication between the PSU and the USB controller.

After reading this I noted with my AX1500i the LED is always green and an orange LED next to it flashes dimly. Is this because my AX1500i is connected via C-Link rather than USB or do AXi and HXi differ?

• Corsair Employee
After reading this I noted with my AX1500i the LED is always green and an orange LED next to it flashes dimly. Is this because my AX1500i is connected via C-Link rather than USB or do AXi and HXi differ?

AX1500i has two LEDs. The other models that support Link only have the one.

Hi there

The only way to make it stay green both psu and commander is to close the program.

Now my question. Is it possible to turn the led at least from the psu off (i dont want to be burnt just from blinking eternally since the link program always runs in the background minimized)

And no, there's no way to stop it blinking as long as it's being polled by software. Seriously? The LED bothers you? Put a piece of electrical tape over it.

AX1500i has two LEDs. The other models that support Link only have the one.

Thank you. I have just looked at an image of an AX1200i and that only seems to have one LED, so I guess it's just the AX1500i that has two.

If the flashing is a real issue then getting an AX1500i should help ;):

• 1 year later...
I build my computer at the beginning of the year, and haven't had any issues with the PSU yet. Today after a restart, and update the PSU started blinking green, and red. It was always just a solid green since I built it. I haven't installed the corsair link software until after it started blinking.

• Corsair Employee

There is no error with the PSU. Flashing red and green does not mean there is a problem. It only means there's communication with the PSU.

You had to have installed something that is communicating with the PSU. If not Link, something else, like AIDA64 for example.

I never intended to install anything for it, unless Windows 10 installed something of its own with the update I did today there was none installed. It is just alarming as I had a failed overclock on my RAM today, but this has happened before with the RAM overclock.

• 4 months later...
There is no error with the PSU. Flashing red and green does not mean there is a problem. It only means there's communication with the PSU.

You had to have installed something that is communicating with the PSU. If not Link, something else, like AIDA64 for example.

jonnyguru, thank you very much!

Archived