The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 AM

POST ID # = 719647
Faithh07 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Point? Again... ALL PSUs have magnetics that resonate at a particular frequency. Sometimes, but not very often, it is an audible frequency. Since the RM series came about, Corsair improved QC on units made by CWT, GW and Flex to make sure that magnetics have tight enough windings, proper glazing or just enough caulk, to eliminate audible noise. Unfortunately, this QC improvement doesn't include AX because AX is made by Seasonic.
I wasn't complaining about coil whine at all, I've only focused on the fan profile.

In the links I included, George even admitted that the fan profile behaviour is normal for the axI models with the yate loon fan.

Quote:
It's only a "problem" for people whose builds ride right at the fan cutoff point frequently. For example, the fan spins up on the AX1200i around 40% load, or 480W. If your build during games is running between 470-490W the fan would momentarily spin up and then back down, which isn't noticeable on the high-end units because at 480W of load your GPU fans will be way louder than the PSU fan.
He mentioned that it was fixed with the RM series and for any upcoming futureproducts like the AX1500i and HXi.

Quote:
No, we fixed that on RM series and it'll be fixed on all future products going forward.
HardOCP even mentioned the fan profile: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...6#.U8j1WPl_ssQ

In the summer with an ambient of around 35°, with a system that was pulling around 150-200w at idle (no power saving features), my ax860i was just ramping to its max speed for 2secs then turning off repeatedly.

Quote:
Still no. You have to really define "click". DBB fans make a slight click as the bearing rattle around at slow RPMs (slow enough to where centrifugal force doesn't play a factor on the ball bearings). But that click is such a subtle noise that most people don't even hear it. You have to have your ear right up against the hub of the fan. Any other kind of click is not normal. Sleeve, rifled and fluid dynamic fans do not click as they do not have ball bearings.
Slow rpms? The click happens when the fan is complety turned off, like I said the fan moves a milimeter or two producing a click sound. This video illustrates it:
(listen after the fan complety stops)

The supernova 1000 P2's fan is easily audible so I'm not sure how you could have said it's quiet. If you're provide us the ripple, efficiency etc talking about the psu alone you're being complety objective but if you just drop that its quiet you're rather being subjective which isn't always helpful for everyone. Hardware.info has some noise results of the 1300 G2/1200 P2 and it's around 45-50dBa.

1200 P2: http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/...ab:testresults

Corsair RM1000: http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/...ab:testresults

Thats like a 20dBa difference. Sure the GPU might be more audible but plenty of people that have their system watercooled so the loudest thing could be the psu fan itself, when I'm playing a game like Wildstar just graphically low intensive, the psu fan kicks in after 30 mins and it's the loudest thing at that point in my rig so

Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 AM

POST ID # = 719675
noxidc Reputation: 10

I have bought a ax1500im i have it running on my windows 7 64 system, its runnning 3 290x's fine, the only problem i have so far is the Corsair link TM dongle is saying that it has no drivers installed. even after i uninstall the link software and delete things from the c:/users/username/appdata/roaming/corsair. and reinstalling link after a reboot. windows 7 still cant find the drivers.

I have theh usb connected form the power supply to the internal usb

Last edited by noxidc; 07-18-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
axiun's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719684
axiun Reputation: 27

So, my 1500i failed this morning. :(

Yesterday night the fan started grinding and this morning the psu powers up for a few seconds and shuts down. The unit has just over a month of use.

This really sucks, as I just sold my evga nex1500 and will now be without a working system while I wait for the RMA.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 AM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719686
ozzy1925 Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiun View Post

Yesterday night the fan started grinding and this morning the psu powers up for a few seconds and shuts down. The unit has just over a month of use.

This really sucks, as I just sold my evga nex1500 and will now be without a working system while I wait for the RMA.
damn that sux,i think this is the first failing unit so far

Old 07-18-2014, 03:28 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719710
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh07 View Post
I wasn't complaining about coil whine at all, I've only focused on the fan profile.

In the links I included, George even admitted that the fan profile behaviour is normal for the axI models with the yate loon fan.

He mentioned that it was fixed with the RM series and for any upcoming futureproducts like the AX1500i and HXi.

HardOCP even mentioned the fan profile: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...6#.U8j1WPl_ssQ
Ok. He also mentioned the coil whine too and that's what ozzy was talking about before you responded. That's why I was confused.

The fan profile was fixed from RM forward, but that only includes the AX1500i right now. The HX coming later. Anything already in production isn't "fixed". Going back to coil whine, though, that was fixed on EVERYTHING made by CWT, GW and Flex after 2012. I know you weren't referencing it... I'm just pointing it out in addition to the fan profile.

Quote:
Slow rpms? The click happens when the fan is complety turned off, like I said the fan moves a milimeter or two producing a click sound. This video illustrates it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTMG5VJcKvo (listen after the fan complety stops)
Different problem then. THAT is NOT normal. And that is not what RAMGuy was eluding to to being normal. That does stem from a known issue that was addressed back in 2013 and fixed with all of the PSUs with fanless mode. That's why you'll see a "GS Series, 2013 Edition." None of the 2013 Edition units should twitch like that.

Quote:
The supernova 1000 P2's fan is easily audible so I'm not sure how you could have said it's quiet. If you're provide us the ripple, efficiency etc talking about the psu alone you're being complety objective but if you just drop that its quiet you're rather being subjective which isn't always helpful for everyone. Hardware.info has some noise results of the 1300 G2/1200 P2 and it's around 45-50dBa.

1200 P2: http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/...ab:testresults

Corsair RM1000: http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/...ab:testresults

Thats like a 20dBa difference. Sure the GPU might be more audible but plenty of people that have their system watercooled so the loudest thing could be the psu fan itself, when I'm playing a game like Wildstar just graphically low intensive, the psu fan kicks in after 30 mins and it's the loudest thing at that point in my rig so
Well.. nowhere in our reviews do we claim that we have any audio measuring hardware. So if Jeremy says "it's quiet", that's relative to his work environment and it means that he's had to work with much louder units. If we had proper sound testing equipment AND we said it was quiet, then you'd have something to complain about.

But seriously... you know we don't test for noise and that there are other reviewers out there that do, so.....

Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719711
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiun View Post

What happens if you disconnect the 24-pin from the PSU and press the self-test button?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719727

john i found out this noise comes from the psu even the pc is not on

Old 07-18-2014, 06:19 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719729

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1925 View Post
john i found out this noise comes from the psu even the pc is not on
What noise comes from the PSU even when the PC is not on?

Are we still talking about the AX1500i?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM

POST ID # = 719730

Quote:
Ok. He also mentioned the coil whine too and that's what ozzy was talking about before you responded. That's why I was confused.

The fan profile was fixed from RM forward, but that only includes the AX1500i right now. The HX coming later. Anything already in production isn't "fixed". Going back to coil whine, though, that was fixed on EVERYTHING made by CWT, GW and Flex after 2012. I know you weren't referencing it... I'm just pointing it out in addition to the fan profile.
Which is why I'm convinced to get the ax1500i even more. The minimum fan speed on my supernova 1000 P2 just seems to be way too high there's just a lot of air noise imo. I had to check TTL's ax1500i review to get an idea what the minimum speed would be, it was around 300-400 rpm around 600W. Much air noise won't be there with such a speed and for what I'd be using it I doubt that the fan would get near 600rpm. Yes I'll be mostly having the fan not spinning or around slow rpm's, ax1500i just seems to be the best for it. According to TPU, it started kicking in at 600W which is impressive.

I'll leave a comment when I have it.

Quote:
Well.. nowhere in our reviews do we claim that we have any audio measuring hardware. So if Jeremy says "it's quiet", that's relative to his work environment and it means that he's had to work with much louder units. If we had proper sound testing equipment AND we said it was quiet, then you'd have something to complain about.

But seriously... you know we don't test for noise and that there are other reviewers out there that do, so.....
Agreed. Didn't really know the psu testers made noise lol so sorry about that.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719731

@ PAL Labs in Taipei, they showed the AX1500i at 6, 12 and 30 dBA. That's at 1 meter. Conditions are 25°C ambient, running for 15 minutes.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:47 AM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719785

Quote:
What noise comes from the PSU even when the PC is not on?

Are we still talking about the AX1500i?
yea, ax 1500i do you remember the magnetic buzz i told you ?it even comes from the psu when the pc is not on

Old 07-19-2014, 05:13 AM
JKeifer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719788
JKeifer Reputation: 56

Quote:

Radio Shack sells (or sold) a relatively inexpensive digital sound level meter that seems pretty accurate at least in the home theater/audio world. I wonder if something like this would be useful to you should you want to get into the business of evaluating noise levels?

Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719814

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeifer View Post
Radio Shack sells (or sold) a relatively inexpensive digital sound level meter that seems pretty accurate at least in the home theater/audio world. I wonder if something like this would be useful to you should you want to get into the business of evaluating noise levels?
Actually, I already have a Radio Shack noise meter. What I said before was: The load testers are far louder than any PSU, even at full RPM, and would completely hose any attempt at making proper measurements.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:52 PM

POST ID # = 719871

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1925 View Post
yea, ax 1500i do you remember the magnetic buzz i told you ?it even comes from the psu when the pc is not on
If the psu makes noise when the pc is turned off, it comes from the +5V rail. What you have to do is enable ERP in the bios. When you shut your pc off, it takes a minute or two to remove any power to the motherboard so the lights turn off as well. If I'm not mistaken the 5V rail turns off.

The annoying thing about it is when you press the power button the pc starts up then shuts down and then it starts booting like normal. That's perfectly normal.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 720060

Quote:
If the psu makes noise when the pc is turned off, it comes from the +5V rail. What you have to do is enable ERP in the bios. When you shut your pc off, it takes a minute or two to remove any power to the motherboard so the lights turn off as well. If I'm not mistaken the 5V rail turns off.

The annoying thing about it is when you press the power button the pc starts up then shuts down and then it starts booting like normal. That's perfectly normal.
the noise comes from the psu even the psu switch set to 0 position