The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 AM
JKeifer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 718227
JKeifer Reputation: 56
Default I am considering this PSU as well

Hi folks. I was going to post a similar type question but was beat to the punch.

I was hoping to see reports from current ax1500i owners confirming the excellence of this power supply but no one so far seems to have replied.

Any current owners out there care to share their experiences? I am particularly interested in noise level (coil whine, if any, and/or fan noise levels) but would be interested in knowing how the power supply integrates into the monitoring and control software as well.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 PM
JKeifer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 718735
JKeifer Reputation: 56

Bump. No one has something to report?

Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 718748
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

They're all too happy with their product and are doing things other than coming to Corsair's forums.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:21 AM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719299
ozzy1925 Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
They're all too happy with their product and are doing things other than coming to Corsair's forums.
well i think i have a proplem.according to this chart:

my psu shouldt drop below to %93 even full load (230vac)but as i see it goes down to %90 @860watt

Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719338
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1925 View Post
well i think i have a proplem.according to this chart:

my psu shouldt drop below to %93 even full load (230vac)but as i see it goes down to %90 @860watt
Yeah. The current version of the Link software is reporting efficiency incorrectly. That was discussed in other threads. Wait for 2.7 to come out.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Yeah. The current version of the Link software is reporting efficiency incorrectly. That was discussed in other threads. Wait for 2.7 to come out.
thanks, i also hear some buzzing like noise when i put my ear on the psu,no matter what load its same.I watched many ax 1200i videos at youtube about buzzing but this one is very silent according to those .I was going to take a video for you to hear but my wife washed my s4

Last edited by ozzy1925; 07-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719366

Earlier versions of PSUs did buzz a bit more. Your buzz is probably the +5VSB, so the reason your buzz is constant is because that load is constant.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 PM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719369

do you mean earlier version of the ax 1500i or ax 1200i ?and how can i know if my psu is the early version?I pull out the psu from the system and tried paper clip its still same .

Last edited by ozzy1925; 07-16-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719388

Earler PSUs >PERIOD<.

Efficiency initiatives were launched and improvements were made to PSUs, but without consideration of the noises some magnetics may make. Most of these problems have been addresses since the AX1500i was launched, but it's difficult to get rid of ALL noises.

So you pulled the PSU out, there's no load at all on the PSU, you do the paper-clip trick and you still hear a slight buzz? Is it really so quiet that you can only hear it when your ear is right up against it? Does it really bother you under normal use?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
ozzy1925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719391

dear guru ,
to be honest i dont know if its buzzing may be its the sound of the psu working.and its not disturbing me because currently i use it on my mining rig.I will take a video soon for you to hear.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719393

Then don't worry about it.

Magnetics buzz. They have windings that vibrate. Vibrations create harmonic frequencies. It's normal.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM

POST ID # = 719426
Faithh07 Reputation: 10

@Jonnyguru

I have a few questions for you, everyone loves your reviews etc but you aren't really clear about how quiet/noisy the PSU is. If you found it quiet we might find it extremely loud, noise is complety subjective. I've used the ax860i, which had plenty of noise issues, lets leave the coil whine story behind but its mainly regarding the fan profile.

1) Fan just randomly kicks agressively in quickly cooled the PSU down then shuts off and then it kicks back in like that all the time. It's like happening when the psu quickly warms up from 44° to 46°.
2) The fan moves a milimeter or two every ~15sec along with a click sound, its quiet but I found it extremely disturbing. According to customer service, this was normal.

You haven't really mentioned any of these issues, George told me that any future upcoming psu's won't have this issue so it makes me want the ax1500i but I think you should test the fan profiles better especially the hybrid mode.

You mentioned that the Superflower supernova units from evga are quiet but honestly I found the fan rather loud, seems like its because of the "onboard" grill they used causing wind restriction. Lets say my Supernova 1000 P2's is inaudible for everyone here except for me so noise is complety subjective and it's rather hard to know what you find quiet.

My suggestion would be; measuring the noise output from a 3-4" away. Why 3-4"? Well again some people have much better hearings and wind noise can be extremely quiet but you might hear the motor/grinding noise.

Techpowerup measures it from a meter away and 50° ambient which I'm nothing with. Most reviews tell that x psu is quiet but I found x quiet horribly loud etc so it feels like I have to be lucky. I literally had to watch TTL's video because I knew he shows Corsair Link to find out what the minimum fan speed was. Could you do please do some noise testing?

I'm still wondering if the fan makes any annoying bearing or motornoise at its lowest speed

Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719433

First off: The fan randomly kicking doesn't happen with all of the PSUs. Only a handful. If it was something that was exhibited during a review, it would have been mentioned in the review. Coil whine is another such isolated incident. Some units do it. Most don't. We have had review samples that have made some whining noise, have asked for replacements and have had the noise go away. In the review, we'll report that one sample made noise and the other did not. But you can't make isolated incidents out to be the norm when your sampling is one unit. If we receive two or three of the same unit with the same problem, then maybe we can say there's a problem. But that doesn't happen very often.

And the other thing: We get asked ALL THE TIME to measure fan noise, but the answer is still "no". We can only do subjective noise analysis because our load testers make far more noise than any PSU on the face of the Earth. There is NO WAY POSSIBLE for us to keep our current testing methodology AND test for noise. TechPowerUp uses a homemade load tester that's passively cooled. That's fantastic. It makes no noise. Our's aren't passively cooled and are loud as frack. You want PSU noise testing? Ask them to do it.

Ever since the RM was launched, Corsair has tested their fan profiles in independent labs. The numbers they publish are real (as opposed to some other companies' published numbers). The fan kicking in full blast on power up is something the DSP PSUs need to do to calibrate the fan controller. Some people don't like it.

Honestly, if your PC is so quiet that the PSU fan bothers you, because typically the graphics card is the loudest thing in the PC and not the PSU, then maybe you should get a passive PSU. Then again, there lies the question of HOW your building your PC. Are you getting a PSU that's "just enough" to satisfy your PC's power needs? Are you relying on only the PSU to provide exhaust for your chassis so it overheats and is forced to kick the fan in full tilt once it hits its threshold? I ask because I have to say that MOST of the time when people complain that their PSU is too loud, I can point out how they didn't think out their build very wisely.

Last edited by jonnyguru; 07-16-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:28 PM

POST ID # = 719559
Faithh07 Reputation: 10

It was even confirmed by George:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1476726/t...#post_22006636
http://www.overclock.net/t/1476726/t...#post_22006885

About the fan click noise, it's considered to be normal according to ramguy: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost...51&postcount=5

Also I haven't mentioned anything about the fan ramping up when the pc boots, thats okay ofc. What I'm not getting is; how is the fan profile different for each psu?

Why not just use extreme long psu cables or extensions, move it up to a next room so the load tester isn't audible and measure the noise there?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 719563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh07 View Post
Point? Again... ALL PSUs have magnetics that resonate at a particular frequency. Sometimes, but not very often, it is an audible frequency. Since the RM series came about, Corsair improved QC on units made by CWT, GW and Flex to make sure that magnetics have tight enough windings, proper glazing or just enough caulk, to eliminate audible noise. Unfortunately, this QC improvement doesn't include AX because AX is made by Seasonic.

Quote:
About the fan click noise, it's considered to be normal according to ramguy: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost...51&postcount=5
Still no. You have to really define "click". DBB fans make a slight click as the bearing rattle around at slow RPMs (slow enough to where centrifugal force doesn't play a factor on the ball bearings). But that click is such a subtle noise that most people don't even hear it. You have to have your ear right up against the hub of the fan. Any other kind of click is not normal. Sleeve, rifled and fluid dynamic fans do not click as they do not have ball bearings.

Quote:
Also I haven't mentioned anything about the fan ramping up when the pc boots, thats okay ofc. What I'm not getting is; how is the fan profile different for each psu?
How? They are different, but I don't know how you expect that to be defined without getting into a long dissertation. There's a lot of variables that come into play, but engineering takes them all into consideration when programming the fan profile.

Here are some examples of a couple AXi and a handful of HX PSUs:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/20...e/rm_fan-speed

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/20...axi_fan-speeds

Quote:
Why not just use extreme long psu cables or extensions, move it up to a next room so the load tester isn't audible and measure the noise there?
Because lengthening the cables increases resistance that will cause the voltages to read lower. That would give us results that would not be representative of the PSU's actual capabilities for voltage, voltage regulation, etc.

That said, this can be done with an additional breakout board, but then you have to probe the voltages at the board, hook your scope up there, which will require multiple channels for multiple rails on both accounts. It's doable, but very expensive.

Last edited by jonnyguru; 07-17-2014 at 05:01 PM.