The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541018
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtout View Post
And I would like to know what wattage these units (cx500/600) would rate at if they were rated the same as the cx 400.
Rated the same? Do you mean this?
Quote:
So can anyone tell me what the wattage rating would be for the cx500/cx600 if rated at 40°? How close to the truth is this quote?
If so, you'd have to find a review that tested it as such. Ultimately it wouldn't matter within the realm of the warranty / rated specs as that's outside of said specs. If someone chooses to run hardware outside of their specs then that's up to them.

Also, is there any reason you created a 2nd account? I've merged them.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541038
Caughtout3 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Rated the same? Do you mean this?
If so, you'd have to find a review that tested it as such. Ultimately it wouldn't matter within the realm of the warranty / rated specs as that's outside of said specs. If someone chooses to run hardware outside of their specs then that's up to them.

Also, is there any reason you created a 2nd account? I've merged them.
Let me put it another way. What is the derating of the cx5/600 at 40/50C?
Is there a electrical engineer/tech who can answer this?

As for the realm of rated specs,Does that mean if my PC's ambient temp in the case is 34C that Im outside of spec and voiding warranty simply by using PSU? Even if thats true,knowing the derating of the units at 40C would make it much simpler to accurately draw power from them in real world settings.

Derating - For an AC-DC power supply, the specified reduction in output power required for operation at elevated temperatures

2nd account to dodge the 15 minute lockout that lasted 30+ minutes.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541654

Bump,Still hoping for a technician response.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542023

Bump,Still hoping for a technician response.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542286

Bump,Third times a charm?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542778

Ive got all the time in the world to wait for a response from an official corsair rep. or tech, meanwhile Ill keep bumping this so everyone can see just how shoddy the cx series is. I dont think Im asking difficult questions here about the derating of these units. Whats it going to take to get some actual help from you?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542790
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Caughtout, what does it really matter. Corsair does not advertize these units to be a high performance PSU. It also does not mean they are a shoddy PSU either. I really doubt you will get an official answer here.

Try this http://www.corsair.com/support/technicalsupport/

Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542794

If it doesnt matter to you then why chime in? I am quite aware this is a entry level PSU.
These are the official forums right? There are official techs/reps here correct? I dont mind waiting around for one of them to address me. The longer it takes the more people see how the cx5/600 are over rated. Then there is the issue I brought up in regards to warranty and ambient case temps. If it doesnt matter to you thats fine,I think it would be useful info for me and others who are considering corsair products. That theyre so tight lipped on these units already speaks volumes to their confidence in them.

Ive also sent a request to tech support via corsair.com>company>contact as all the techsupport link gives you is an option to RMA

Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 PM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542971
parsec Reputation: 10

We only have CX430 reviews to go by unfortunately, and from what I can see they aren't bad. The "overload test" of this review site's test of the CX430:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1200/8

They pulled almost 550 Watts total from it at almost 46C ambient temperature.

The CX430 V2 did not do quite as well as the first version:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1284/8

The overload test produced 517 Watts total at 44C ambient.

The conclusion in both of those reviews is positive, quite good really.

I seems these units don't need much if any derating. It seems clear that Corsair rated these power supplies, sourced from CWT, conservatively at 30C.

In the same web site's review of the CX400, here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/750/8

The overload test produced 484 Watts and 49C ambient, so a bit less than either of the CX430's, although the CX400 is rated at 40C.

All of these units are clearly "entry level" models, as mentioned in the reviews. Anyone who assumes they are buying a unit that is of the same quality as Corsair's high-end models, or budget models being the same as the best any manufacture produces, are mistaken.

Regarding the CX500 and CX600 being overrated, is that based solely upon the statement you posted earlier, taken from a post in another forum, which is this:

"For an estimate, I'd say that the CX500 is a DSA 450W, and the CX600 is a DSA 500W. "

While I don't know either way, the statement "For an estimate..." obviously has no more certainty than an opinion, and of course does not demonstrate those CX models are based on what he thinks they are. So until we see evidence to the contrary, the notion that those CX units are overrated has not been established or proven in any way.

According to the review of the CX400 on that web site, the same platform was used by the popular EarthWatts 500 Watt unit. The CX400 was quite a gift from Corsair, but alas is no more, as the OEM no longer makes it.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 542996

Look, Ive already said that I agree CX430 is the best PSU of the series as it best reflects what the platform is capable of. Im done discussing the CX 430.

I believe the CX500/600 are overrated for 3 reasons,

1.My cx 500 failed hard after 5 months on a system that the cx 400 still powers years later.

2. The information from the link I posted earlier that alerted me to the huge drop in quality.

3. The lack of a technician willing to answer my questions regarding these PSU's.

So, Again, Id just like some straight answers to my questions from a tech.

Specifically:

Does any other line of Corsair PSU besides the CX use Samxon primary capacitors?

Is the current CX series based on the CWT DSA platform? If not then which?

What is the derating of the CX500/CX600 at 40/50C?

If my PC's ambient temp in the case is 34C does that mean that Im outside of spec (as these units are rated at 30C) and voiding warranty simply by using the PSU?

Honestly though,At this point I believe they are unwilling to answer these questions because they know it will only confirm what I linked to.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543012

1. One unit going bad does not indicate the whole product line has an issue.
2. That link is only one person's opinion, and from the reviews I've seen, his opinion is in the minority, not the majority.
3. No, that's because they usually check posts in order of oldest date. You just keep bumping it to the end of the line. Could just call them you know :)
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543022
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
If my PC's ambient temp in the case is 34C does that mean that Im outside of spec (as these units are rated at 30C) and voiding warranty simply by using the PSU?
If it fails no one is going to ask you what temperature you were using it at. It will not void the warranty. If it fails and still within the warranty time period it will get replaced. Thats it

Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
1. One unit going bad does not indicate the whole product line has an issue.
2. That link is only one person's opinion, and from the reviews I've seen, his opinion is in the minority, not the majority.
3. No, that's because they usually check posts in order of oldest date. You just keep bumping it to the end of the line. Could just call them you know :)
Ok,I understand thats your opinion however Im really only looking for some hard facts from a tech. at this point. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned
Caughtout3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543025

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
If it fails no one is going to ask you what temperature you were using it at. It will not void the warranty. If it fails and still within the warranty time period it will get replaced. Thats it
Are you authorized to speak on behalf of corsair tech support? No? Then I must assume that is just your opinion.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543035

Quote:
Are you authorized to speak on behalf of corsair tech support? No? Then I must assume that is just your opinion.
You're both right. One one hand, none of us work for them and as such we can't guarantee that they wouldn't ask, but on the other hand, I've NEVER seen them ask for the system temp (relating to memory) in 10 years of Corsair being on this forum.