The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 442760
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
JKswe
Is what he says true about "exclusive"?

Do NOT post links to competitors products our promotions here.
A: Please post whole sentences, as I am not 100% sure what you are asking but to try; Yes this is a Corsair Only section of the forum and we DO NOT support other products only products made by Corsair Memory Inc.
Quote:
GaMEChld
My other question is, is there a thread somewhere where the differences between Garbage Collection and TRIM are discussed in depth? I know this firmware does not have garbage collection, but I would still like to learn more in general. Also, I don't suppose you may have heard anything concerning a future update where garbage collection is implemented, or is that just a pipe dream with no chance?
A: There are plenty of posts on this subject please try to search for the topic and make sure you check any date in your search other wise I think you get just the last week and use the advanced search please.
But in a nut shell Garbage Collection is normally done at the controller level and requires no user intervention and or activation.
While TRIM will do the same thing cleaning data fragments in unused clusters but requires a command like the Wiper Utility or in the case of Windows 7 runs in the back ground automatically. And cleans Data fragments in un-used clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothegoo View Post
RAMGUY and Yellowbeard,

I have read the threads thoughly and have a questions thats been touched on but not directly asked or answered yet.

The issue lies with the update utility right.

Q) Does that update utitly upgrade the firmware without removing data?

If the answer is YES then would you not be able to release a simplier update utitlity or equivelent that performs the firmware update but whipes all data from the drive in the process?

Even though the promise/idea of the firmware upgrade with out losing data I think almost every owner of a X series SSD would be more than happy with that compromise.

If the answer is NO then I'm glad I'm not in your shoes trying to figure out the random issues lol.

Thanks in advance for any replies from either of the Corsair Reps
A: boothegoo First I am sorry that you feel that way but your questions had been answered and why they were not answered again here, Its always best to create a new post with your own questions rather than trying to take over an existing thread. but maybe you missed them before. The Update utility as stated in the release post will not destroy the data, it will just update the Firmware version only.
And I am sorry but that is the only utility available to us at the moment. I am sure as this technology evolves the utilities will also evolve and become more easy to use.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 03-08-2010 at 02:53 PM.