The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
jimwillsher's PC Specs

POST ID # = 423400
jimwillsher Reputation: 10

Intel seem to be getting their act together:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10...ousps_up_ssds/

so let's hope Samsung are too.

Jim

Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM

POST ID # = 423401
naujoks Reputation: 10

We knew this already.
The big question, which nobody seems to be able to answer so far, if at least in THEORY Samsung's FW can be updated. It appears there's a chance it might not be possible at all. If that's true, we're all screwed.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM
jimwillsher's PC Specs

POST ID # = 423403
jimwillsher Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by naujoks View Post
We knew this already.
Well, pardon me!

Jim

Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Manick's PC Specs

POST ID # = 423407
Manick Reputation: 10

Quote:
We knew this already.
The big question, which nobody seems to be able to answer so far, if at least in THEORY Samsung's FW can be updated. It appears there's a chance it might not be possible at all. If that's true, we're all screwed.
If it shouldnt be possible to upgrade then corsair is making a HUGE misstake to write here: http://www.corsair.com/products/ssd_...e/default.aspx that its acctually possible, atleast in the extreme series to upgrade the firmware as a regular user. They know someone would go hunt them with the law if they stated that this is possible if its not.

So dont worry :)

Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 AM

POST ID # = 423410

P Series here, so I AM worrying.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:00 AM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 423421
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

it has been stated a bunch of times that IF & WHEN a user update is available it would be made public.
i have never seen a dead horse be beaten so many times as in these kinds of threads.
sure buyers remorse is a bytch but if the consumer did all the proper research and makes an educated decision to buy knowing that all the "condiments" to the item have NOT been sorted yet, then he has no entitlement to complain.
if someone buys the drive without doing any or enough research well the he only has himself to blame.

would you buy a car if you knew you couldnt ever replace the tires but there may be a way to change them in the future but dont know when?

come on, properly educate yourself before buying anything. all this whining is harshing my mellow.

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM

POST ID # = 423441

yeah great more oil on the flames.
so it's a dead horse then, is it?
your comparison with a car doesn't fit at all, because we all know what a car is supposed to do. but SSDs are an evolving technology. in my case, im not even new to SSDs, i've had the first gen ones in my computers 2 years ago. i DID my homework and read reviews of the P128, telling me all about TRIM, and that one must get the latest firmware for that. so following the advice on here ("all our drives are delivered with latest firmware") I went for it, and what do you know, i pulled a duff one.
so if it's all been my own fault for being stupid and uneducated then yeah go ahead and diss me some more!
im sure that im not the only one who feels that it's not the not knowing WHEN a new FW becomes available is the problem (tell me it comes in February 2010, fine i'll wait), but the fact that not even the IF can be established, when surely someone at Samsung has an answer. even if the answer is NO then at least i can plan my next move, sell it for something different or whatever.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 423445
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

naujoks
I think what Synthohol is trying to express to you and everyone else is what I have stated so many times it is really getting old repeating it.

Quote:
I am sorry as we do not have any update to report at this time officially, but I would expect some information soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
I stated it would be released after the official release of Windows 7, I did not promise a date or say it would be the same day it was released.
And I am sorry I have no update at this time.
We do not have any updates at this time and trust me when I do I will be posting it right away. You are not the only person asking this and for sure we are working on a new release but there is no ETA available.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 423489
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manick View Post
Quote:
We knew this already.
If it shouldnt be possible to upgrade then corsair is making a HUGE misstake to write here: http://www.corsair.com/products/ssd_...e/default.aspx that its acctually possible, atleast in the extreme series to upgrade the firmware as a regular user. They know someone would go hunt them with the law if they stated that this is possible if its not.
naujoks was referring to the Performance series (Samsung) whereas the Extreme series is Indillix. Different scenarios.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 PM
renatofaria's PC Specs

POST ID # = 423502
renatofaria Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickity split View Post
TRIM support is now available on Intel and Indilinx drives. Drivers/Disk restoring utils available for download now:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667

Looks like the Samsung/Corsair early adopters are SOL on this one.
"Update: Intel just gave us its official statement on the matter:

Yes, we have been contacted by users with issues with the firmware upgrade for our 34nm SSDs and we are investigating. We take all sightings and issues seriously and are working toward resolution. We have temporarily taken down the firmware link while we investigate."

Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 423513
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

No comment!