Corsair Community

Ryzen 5 2600 with LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz?

3200ram

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my mobo, cpu and ram.

MSI B450 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200

According to AMD the Ryzen 5 2600 only supports RAM up to 2933MHz. This is why I have only selected this option in BIOS until now.

But I do not want to waste resources if it is possible to use my RAM at 3200MHz.

Has anybody experience with Ryzen 5 2600 and LPX (or other RAM) @3200MHz?

Since I do not want to break my fresh parts I want to find out before choosing 3200MHz in BIOS.

I do not know if I can just choose 3200MHz and keep my CPU as it is or if I have to overclock the CPU to use the 3200MHz of RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Enable the XMP profile in BIOS and go for it. If it's rated for 3200 and not defective, it should boot at 3200Mhz, 1.35V. Probably CL16. Run Memtest though.

FWIW...the LPX 3200 memory I ordered wouldn't even post at 3200 on my X470. I wound up going with Vengeance RGB Pro @ CL14. Expensive, but worth not having the headache of fooling around with CL16 memory.

• 1 month later...

I have the same Ryzen CPU as well but with 2400MHz version ram and was successfully able to overclock to 3200 in dual channel at 1.35v, that also seems a common voltage for many 3200 kits.

It seems Ryzen systems are really compatible for overclocking to 3200 despite the 2933 official spec and you can come across many success stories on the web. As far as I know simply changing frequency won't damage your parts but applying too much voltage will.

Note your motherboard manual says the following quote below however I have never seen that anywhere other than in MSI manuals so far.

Based on processor specification, the Memory DIMM voltage below 1.35V is suggested to protect the processor

I suspect there is a good chance it would work with a genuine 3200 kit but as you may already know 3200 out of the box is already considered an overclock so no guarantees. If your motherboard supports overclocking and your memory voltage then give it a try and test it with memtest86 to be sure.

Archived