Corsair Community

Neutron 240 Firmware update with SSD Toolbox

eternitykh

I'm having issues updating my neutron 240 with the toolbox.

FW on drive: M206

Available FW: M208

When i click download and confirm the warning, the progress bar will reach about 80% and hang during "Downloading firmware to drive" then system becomes unresponsive, and requires a hard reboot/shutdown.

I was afraid of data lost/corruption when this happend... but everything seems to be intact.

I tried it for a second time and same results.

Weirdest thing happened when I hard rebooted it the second time.

immediately after that boot, windows gave me an MBR error and refused to boot (i was shocked and thought it was data lost/corruption) then i rebooted it again, then gave me generic missing boot disk error this time.(wtf?)

then i went to bios to verify that the system sees the drive, and BEHOLD it SEES IT, BUT it some how moved it to the last priority slot for boot order... so some how the drive blanked out to the system and it didn't see it. very strange.... but i set it back to first boot and windows booted right up.

So no real harm done, but sure enough there's still firmware update issue here. i verified that the fw is still M206 after the 2 attempts.

FYI, It's on a sabertooth z77, w7 x64, and the neutron 240 is plugged into the first intel sata port. and i have never had sata issues with this system.

I had to change the SATA drivers to microsfot generic sata drivers and only then I was able to update, but never had a system crash or anything like that before the driver change, and it was with a neutron gtx 120.

I have the exact same problem as eternitykh. Hangs at 80% and now the drive isn't recognized at boot anymore.

I tried changing the SATA drivers from Intel to MS generic like snfo suggested, rebooted & retried, but same problem.

Now every time I boot my computer I have to go into the BIOS to pick the drive to boot from, because it doesn't show up for the normal boot order anymore.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What is MS-generic? Be specific!!! Make sure you took the right one.

These following are wrong:

(Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers)

IDE-controller

PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI-Controller

Standard Dual CHannel PCI IDE Controller

Standard Microsoft Corp

SMSC SLC90E66 PCI Busmaster IDE-Controller

Only this one is correct:

Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

I personally think, adding a note about that during the process in the tools going to reduce forum-spam (people asking about what to do about it) by at least half!

Then after apply and rebooting, twice check / make sure in device-manager if that one is really running and close any third-party programs or services (i.e. RAM-drives on SSD) before trying to update FW again!

Question: What is your chipset's name?

For those wondering, my Neutron GTX updated fine with the current AMD AHCI drivers packaged in current AMD chipset packages (rev 337).

Good for you, doesnt mean it will work for everyone. On the other hand most of the people are unable to do it with chipset-vendors driver, while the MSAHCI doesnt change in name of tweak, so setting up MSAHCI is the safest way to update and usually fix incompatibily issues with updating FW.

P.S:: Whatever rev 337 of the latest Chipset driver means for you... i guess you mean file-version 1.2.1.337... here you find the always latest version... (actually 12.104 with SATA 13.4):

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/embedded/Pages/embedded_windows_all.aspx

What is MS-generic? Be specific!!! Make sure you took the right one.

It only shows 2 drivers as being compatible:

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Standard SATA AHCI Controller

It had the first one selected, so I switched it to the second one. This is Windows 8, and "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" isn't in the list (I checked the full list of non-compatible drivers as well).

Intel RST is one of the least compatible AHCI drivers for firmware updates, likely because it is Intel's universal package for both AHCI and RAID modes. The msahci driver will always be the one to use for firmware update utilities if you want to be safe.

AMD's AHCI driver is specific to AHCI mode, and is much more compatible with firmware update utilities in my experience (I have 40+ SSD's at any given time, and do a lot of this testing) whereas their RAID mode uses a different driver set. AMD users don't need to be nearly as concerned re: msahci as long as their AHCI driver is current. Prior to the rev337 AMD AHCI driver in the early 2013 chipset packages, AMD hadn't changed the bundled driver version from rev331 since the middle of 2012. I also did a lot of firmware updating successfully on the older rev331 AMD AHCI driver version.

As a side note, a lot of ISO-based firmware update utilities fail on AMD SATA controllers in AHCI mode and need to be changed to IDE temporarily.

It only shows 2 drivers as being compatible:

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Standard SATA AHCI Controller

It had the first one selected, so I switched it to the second one. This is Windows 8, and "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" isn't in the list (I checked the full list of non-compatible drivers as well).

Soo im sry, but im out. Should be the right one, but if it wont work, i dunno. Always worked with 7.

Oh you got it xD yeah it was high likely the Intel raid-tool.

Intel's RST drivers will always give you the most optimized performance, as msahci drivers are generic and mostly rely on your motherboard bios' ahci implementation. I've seen motherboards with buggy ahci implementations which had severe slowdowns under Crystal Diskmark qd32 testing loads that were ok with manufacturer achi drivers. The ideal fix is at the core level via a proper bios update from the manufacturer, but using the mfg's ahci drivers will make the best of the current state of your hardware platform.

My drive failed update when Windows was installed on it, but I swapped it around and installed Windows to my other neutron GTX and secure wiped the old windows drive, update then went through cleanly.

It seems you will have better chance for it to go through clean if its not the OS drive

Hi, i'm a french customer.

*Last night, i tried to update the firmware of my neutron*Gtx 240 with the new Corsair SSD Toolbox.*

Old firmware : m206*New firmware : m208.*

In 2 seconds the green bar was at about 80%. Then nothing happened during about 10 s and finally the system returns a blue screen and reboot.*Now the SSD is not recognized. Unable to boot.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bits, ahci, single ssd, intel RST.

I wrote an RMA to Corsair.

Just to ensure you mean the correct MSAHCI-driver and that you closed any background-tool i.e. Intel RST RAID-tool follow these steps:

1. Go to device-manager and change driver of sata controller manually to "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" (you can change back after flash). Choose to reboot later.

2. In Windows click start, execute, type msconfig, press enter, uncheck "Load System-Startup-Elements". (Apply), OK! Now reboot.

3. During reboot, Enter UEFI / BIOS and check SATA-MODE, has to be AHCI.

4. Once booted clean with AHCI-mode and MS-AHCI driver please try again FW-update.

hmm feels like im repeating on ond on again xD

@technobeard: how should he reapply the test when he plugged of power and data cable :D

• Administrators

Not reapply THE test, re-apply the CABLES and then test :)

In otherwords, plug the cables back in, turn it on, and check to see which firmware he has.

Blame Yellowbeard for the phrasing. I copied it from a post of his :)

yeah that's the thing, i've tried the firmware update with msahci (Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller), rebooted and verified it's msahci and it still hangs and actually bluescreens after a bit, and hangs when i had iastor installed.

What about these both?

2. In Windows click start, execute, type msconfig, press enter, uncheck "Load System-Startup-Elements". (Apply), OK! Now reboot.

3. During reboot, Enter UEFI / BIOS and check SATA-MODE, has to be AHCI.

You didn't replied to that, so i think, you didn't disabled all startup-elements and didn't check SATA-Mode. Please do that AND REPLY to that, always REPLY to EVERY SINGLE advice. If you try to REPLY more to what tips people give you, than maybe people have more joy in helping you! Otherwise they assume that fixed your problem. And honestly i have no joy in repeating what i wrote on and on just because you maybe didn't see it or just did it but didn't propperly reply to it. You want help, so tell us what did not helped and what you did. Accordign to what you replied here, you didnt disable all startup elements and you didn'T checked SATA-Mode in BIOS, so THATS the fault!

SO exactly proceed the steps i told you above again, in EVERY step! Rebooting with MSAHCI is not enough... i didnt mentioned the other steps just for fun, it is NECCESARY to check BIOS-Sata-Mode and it is NECCESARY to disable all startup-elements. Doint 2 Steps of a 4 Step guide is NOT enough!

i dont mean to be disrespectful, and i do appreciate the help very much, trust me i totally understand about trying to help people, i work as a tech support myself.

anyways, yes i made sure it was on msahci, double checked bios was set to ahci (has been this way since install), tried clean boot with msconfig. same results.

and yes this is plugged into the native intel port on channel 0.

im just a bit tired from work, i work 330pm to 12 midnight shifts. so my replies are sometimes slow

Archived