Corsair Community

Voyager Air 1TB WiFi Not Working

CloudStrife

Hello. I bought a 1TB Voyager Air almost a year ago. I never have any problems but three days ago I upgrade the firmware to the latest 2.V something and also I upgrade the app in my iPad and iPhone. after the upgrade I couldn't connect to the Voyager via WiFi. All lights were on. So I took my Voyager to work to try to fix it. When I got to work I notice the Voyager was dead, no power whatsoever. So I plugged it to the wall charge and left it there for few hours, in lunch time I unplugged it and I tried to connect my iPhone to the Voyager via WiFi but there was no WiFi coming out from the Voyager and it die within 5 minutes. I plugged it back to the wall charger and this time I brought my MacBook Air and plug it via USB and I ran the disk fix program on it. after 20 minutes or so it was fixed. So unplugged the USB and I tried the WiFi again, this time there was WiFi signal coming out the Voyager but in the iPhone app it shows the WiFi signal with a exclamation sign in it. Back in my house I tried again and no luck, I reset my Networks in my iPhone and iPad and still no way to get access to the Voyager and the battery is not charging. What should I do?

It sounds like you are having two issues - battery charging and Wi-Fi connectivity.

If your drive works OK with the wall adapter plugged in, let's try and solve the Wi-Fi issue first.

Please verify:

1. Drive is on and Wi-Fi is on, DC power plugged in.

2. iPhone is connected to your drive (Settings -> Wi-Fi)

3. Running iOS Voyager Air app 2.0.0 (check in app Settings)

When you launch the iPhone app, what do you see?

As you can see the WiFi sign has an exclamation sign in it. Also before launching there's another screen before this one where it shows the IP address from the Voyager. If I click on that WiFi sign it takes me to the IP Address screen and it looks like still scanning for another portal. even tho the IP Address from the Voyager is already selected.

This screen indicates the app is not communicating with the drive.

I suspect that the drive firmware has not been updated (to 2.0.17).

With your iPad connected to the drive, try opening Safari and type the address 192.168.77.1 in the address bar (to launch the web client).

Take a screenshot and show me what you see. Does the web screen look like this, or is it different?

http://imgur.com/lfit19b.jpg

Second screen shot is from the network. As you can see I have already establish a connection between my iPad and Voyager but when I launch the App I get the same screen from yesterday's screen shot. I've already double check and I installed 2.0.17 firmware in the Voyager. Also, still not charging.

If I click on the WiFi sign this is I get. http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/ZidaneCloud/Voyager4_zps8541ad40.png' alt='Voyager4_zps8541ad40.png'>

I will appreciate if you can help me solve this enigma. By the way I'm only using 186GB out the 1TB

Ok, the fact that you are seeing the connection screen with the checkmark next to the drive means 2.0.17 is installed.

The most likely cause of the app not connecting, and the web client not running, is file corruption on the drive. (This would cause the server on the drive to be unresponsive)

Please try connecting it with USB and running CheckDisk on it.

This screen indicates the app is not communicating with the drive.

I suspect that the drive firmware has not been updated (to 2.0.17).

With your iPad connected to the drive, try opening Safari and type the address 192.168.77.1 in the address bar (to launch the web client).

Take a screenshot and show me what you see. Does the web screen look like this, or is it different?

Try this ^^^ with a laptop computer or Android device.

Okay, I follow both instructions. First I ran CheckDisk two times, just to make sure I wasn't skipping anything and then I tried again but no luck. This morning I ask my co-worker to borrow his Android tablet and connect it to my Voyager via WiFi and we got the same results than before. I think my only option is formatting it. I'm backing up all the content to my MacBook as I'm typing this.

I am afraid you may be right. There is an issue (most likely file corruption) on the drive that is preventing the server from fully starting, which means it cannot respond to app requests or web requests.

Did you reformat the drive to HFS+, or leave it as NTFS?

Either one will work for the drive server. It runs Linux and uses a universal file system (from Paragon) that is compatible with both NTFS and HFS+.

If the MacBook is your primary PC, you will probably want to reformat to HFS+ -- Macs typically don't like NTFS very much (it used to be that writing to an NTFS drive from a Mac required a third-party driver - I'm not sure if the latest rev of OS X has changed that or not).

Okay, I have already reformatted the drive and installed Firmware 2.0.17 and still no WiFi. I'm thinking to use my iMac and download the Firmware there and repeat the process again. Just in case there's something wrong with my MacBook or the firmware.

Please clarify what you mean by "still no Wi-Fi". If your iPad is able to connect to the "VoyagerAir" wireless network, there is definitely Wi-Fi on the drive.

The question is why you are then unable to communicate with the server on the drive - either using the app or a web browser. It makes little sense.

You have a gen 1 drive, right? Have you tried using the ethernet connection?

You could also use a third-party SAMBA-compatible utility (like FileBrowser) to access the drive from your iPad.

What I meant when I said "No WiFi" was that I couldn't connect using the app or browser. After formatting it two times and resetting everything to factory settings and deleting and reinstalling the apps from my iPhone/iPad I was able to make a connection but only works when I'm 2 feet away from the device. The battery still not charging so what I'm thinking it's that something is broken inside. Probably the WiFi antena and the battery. I still can get access to the HD using the USB cable. I didn't know about the third party Samba thingy... I'll try later. Yes, I have a first gen drive, I bought it July of last year

• 4 weeks later...
I have been through the same process as above, incl. reformatting the drive.

Did you have any luck solving the problem?

I am now as well getting this problem, and I believe he RMA'd and got a replacement.

• 5 months later...

HI guys,

I am having a very similar problem. I have a VoyagerAir 1TB (First gen) that does not connect through Wi-Fi (it does not even broadcast the VoyagerAir SSID) or Ethernet, even though the wi-fi light on the front panel lights up when the feature is switched on.

Hard-disk itself is working fine on USB - already detected potential disk issues through Disk Utility (I have a Mac running Yosemite) and none were present.

As I have no network connectivity whatsoever, I cannot update firmware, use the iOS app or web client, etc etc...on top of obviously not being able to access the content itself (apart from USB)

Any suggestions? It seems like a faulty unit and I am very disappointed: I have used this product on no more than ten occasions...

Thanks, guys

You can update the firmware using the USB cable by copying the firmware image to the drive, try re-flashing or update the firmware and see if that helps.

Make sure you backup all your data on the drive in case something goes wrong.

Hi, can you tell me how this is done? I understand that you can update it manually (as per the instructions that come with the firmware update package), but these still require launching the app or web client to kickstart the update process itself, right?

Archived