Corsair Community

Any Compatibility Problems Using Flash Voyager Drives w/Linux Ubuntu or OpenSUSE 11.2

bisclavret

In another thread that has been closed for some time, Flash Voyager users had issues using Flash Voyager, specifically 8GB and 16GB drives, on the Linux Ubuntu 8.1 OS.

I am currently running Windows XP-SP2 and am strongly considering partitioning my master HD and installing Linux, either Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. I plan to keep Windows XP for now and install Linux as a second OS, resulting in a dual boot system, so I can try Linux before deciding whether to keep XP or switch permanently to Linux.

I am in the process of checking the Linux compatibility of and drivers for my hardware and peripherals. On the now closed thread dealing with compatibility issues with running Flash Voyager on Linux, there were issues with trying to use the flash drive with Ubuntu 8.1, resulting in permanent damage to most of the Flash Voyager drives used; but the thread is too old to have anything about Ubuntu 9.10, which is one of two Linux versions I am considering. Also, there was no mention of Open SUSE 11.2, which is the second version I am considering. As we all know, new versions of operating systems are developed in order to add features and fix bugs in the OS that cause such issues. Whether the new versions of Ubuntu or OpenSUSE have addressed the Flash Voyager issue or not I do not know. Hence this thread.

The Flash Voyager I am using is an 8GB drive, part number CMFUSB2.0-8GB.

What I need to know is if there have been any issues reported using the 8 or 16 GB drives on either the Ubuntu 9.10 oir OpenSUSE 11.2 OS.

Also, I need to know if I must reformat my flash drive so it is more generic in nature in order to use it on the Linux versions mentioned. It is already formatted to fat32.

I use the flash drive on a daily basis, and it works great on Windows XP-SP2; so the answer to this question will determine whether I install Linux or stay with Windows XP.

Any insight will be very much appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

There are no issues that I am aware of with any current version of Linux.

Just make sure that you do not connect the USB Drive till you have the O.S. fully loaded and updated.

And all of our Flash drives come formatted to FAT32 so they can be seen in any O.S. Linux or Mac as well as Windows. But you can reformat the drive to any file system you like, just note if you use the Linux file system then it can only be seen in a system using that O.S.

Thanks for your reply, RAM GUY.

I don't think I'll have to reformat the drive to suit Ubuntu 9.10 (Linux). From what I've read, it is supposed to read the fat32 format just fine--at least I hope so; because I have a dual boot system: Windows XP-SP2 and Ubuntu 9.10, and I would like to be able to use the drive in both operating systems. I haven't tried it yet. I just installed Ubuntu but was waiting for an answer to this question before I tried it. Others have said that they ruined their Flash Voyager drives by plugging them in while booted into earlier versions of Linux.

Since I've moved everything of any consequence off of the Corsair Voyager, it won't hurt anything if it turns out to be incompatible with Ubuntu.

I'll post here how it went when I've had a chance to test it.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived