Corsair Community

XMP Mode?

Ron-e-g

Hello, New here.

I have a question about using the XMP mode for my Corsair memory with my ASUS X58 MB. Is it possible? When I try I see no change in the two settings on the bios page. I have downloaded CPU-Z but don't really understand the numbers.

Could someone help me with this? Basically I just want to maximize my memory on my system.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Sorry for the double post. I think I may have originally Posted this in the wrong place. Don't know how to move it.

First, make sure your motherboard is actually XMP compatible. I suspect an Asus X58 would be, but going back to that generation there are boards that are not.

When in the BIOS, you must enable XMP. The switch location is going to be BIOS specific. These days, it is usually on the front page, but I imagine your X58 BIOS will be mostly blue text. I would guess on the "Main Page" or at the top of the AI Tweaker page.

In CPU Z, you need to look at the "Memory Tab". There is will show you the primary timings for your current settings. At the top of the list will be the "DRAM Frequency". This is the single data rate. For DDR2/3/4, you need to double that value to get the commonly expressed memory speed. (800MHz x 2 = 1600)

Thank You c-attack for your response,

The X58 does have XMP mode. It's under Ai Tweaker tab. However I'm not too clear on the steps to alter the memory. I thought i did but when I selected the profile 1 option I see no change on the listed memory speed. Or even if I select option 2. They both stay at the primary 1600. What are the steps to actually make a change?

memory.PNG.630ccf972d0966687dc423ee7de9992d.PNG

CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9

You did it. You are at the XMP 1600 MHz with a CAS latency of 9. If you hit the speed tab one notch to the right, you can see the JEDEC default for DDR3 is 1333 MHz and its corresponding standard timings for other frequencies. Also in that list on the right side should be your eXtrme Memory Profile (XMP) values.

You did it. You are at the XMP 1600 MHz with a CAS latency of 9. If you hit the speed tab one notch to the right, you can see the JEDEC default for DDR3 is 1333 MHz and its corresponding standard timings for other frequencies. Also in that list on the right side should be your eXtrme Memory Profile (XMP) values.

Not sure I understand all that, How bout this;

And what would option 2 get me in XMP? Or changing the DRAM O.C. profile to DDR3 1805MHz?

1091753141_SPDTab.PNG.2791763c4ae973ac418a8f579a46d3a5.PNG

XMP is enabled. If it were not, you would see 667 (1333 MHz). Best I can tell is your kit only has 1 XMP profile. Not all kits have 2.

The 1805 Option sounds like an Asus preset, not XMP ( Corsair). Be careful. Just because Asus puts it as an overclock option does not mean it is desireable or even stable. Always make a system image of your C drive or back it up another way before trying strange memory options. There is a chance you will crash and have to reinstall the OS. I do not know the max possible values for your RAM and board. However, as a former x58 owner, 6 sticks at 1600 is getting close. That was my limit for everyday use.

• 2 months later...

Hello to all, I'm new and first of all I offer a warm greeting from Italy to all the participants. I would have a problem to submit. Some time ago I installed 24 GB in triple channel, the ram in question CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 on an Asus PT6 WS Pro v.1. using XMP my computer reads only 16 GB to 1600 of RAM instead of 24.

The Cchipset is X58 with an I7 950, it's a bit old but for now it's okay. Did anyone else have the same problem? Are there modifications and bios to do manually? Thanks in advance and good work to all. Mak

• Corsair Employee
Hello to all, I'm new and first of all I offer a warm greeting from Italy to all the participants. I would have a problem to submit. Some time ago I installed 24 GB in triple channel, the ram in question CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 on an Asus PT6 WS Pro v.1. using XMP my computer reads only 16 GB to 1600 of RAM instead of 24.

The Cchipset is X58 with an I7 950, it's a bit old but for now it's okay. Did anyone else have the same problem? Are there modifications and bios to do manually? Thanks in advance and good work to all. Mak

Ensure you're on the latest bios. Even if you are I'd try to reflash.

-Art

I replaced my G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 MHz C18 RAM with Corsair's VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 RAM today.

I can't boot with the XMP enabled. I had no problem before - The g.skill DRAM frequency would show up at circa 1800Mhz in CPU-Z, which was correct. My new Corsair RAM is showing up at between 900 and 1000Mhz. A benchmark test shows that my RAM is under performing at almost half of it's capabilities.

I changed to XMP but my PC simply will not boot up. I'm guessing because it is unstable? The question is; why? XMP isn't overclocking to extreme levels, it should be safe, like it was with my g.skill.

Does anyone have an advice? At the moment, i'm very disappointed that I paid for something that is giving me half of it's performance.

Archived