Corsair Community

Confused over fan direction with a 600T and H80

lxtwin

Hi there,

I am just building a new system and have purchased a 600T white and a Hydro H80, however I am not sure about the air flow direction of the fans.

(I have built it but not powered it up yet as the CPU arrives tomorrow)

Does the air come in or out of the front fan ?

Does the air come in or out of the top fan ?

The back fan shows the air being pushed out of the back of the machine with the <- symbol; however the instructions of the H80 show the fans the other way around, pulling air in from the back and pushing it into the computer.

Which way is correct ? should I bring air in from the back like the instructions show or should I turn the fans around and blow air out of the computer like the 120mm fan was installed ?

I would prefer to blow it out of the back as have more space at the front and will get more air into the computer.

Thanks for the help.

The arrows show airflow direction. As for the question regarding intake/exhaust, you need to take a few factors into consideration. Pulling cool ambient air in through the H80 (intake) will give you better CPU temps but will probably increase in-case temps. On the other hand, unless you have awesome airflow, having the H80 act as an exhaust will get you slightly worse CPU temps, but will probably decrease in-case (and thus other components) temps.

A good rule of thumb is to keep a positive case pressure. Basically this means you have more air going into the case than out of it.

Also, I am not familiar with your specific case. I am just speaking in generalities.

I would run it as intake. I have the 600t and there is not a lot of intake from the front 200mm fan. This will result in lower temps on the cpu and a quick vent of the air through the top exhaust 200mm. You might also look at putting a bay adapter that will hold a 120mm fan in the 5.25" bays. I did that when I had my H70.

Thanks, I will have the H80 pulling air in. I know that I can put 4 fans on the door mesh that comes with it. As you said I should get more are in that out would it be a good idea to to put 4 fans there to also bring air into the case ?

If so what are good fans to use ? I would connect them to the fan controller on top so that I could adjust them.

Thanks for the help.

If you can find them, these are the best fans you can get (regarding noise to performance ratios) for radiator cooling:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scge120mmsic2.html

Issue is that US e-tailers have very limited stock and when they are in stock they go really fast (or the e-tailer charges a high premium for units because they know how rare and popular these fans are). The GT AP-15 is basically the holy grail for water cooling fans. FYI, most of my friends order these from the UK/Germany and have them shipped over.

Thanks for all the help, the thing that worries be about making the H80 bring air into the system is that if my 1000W PSU and nVidia 470 blow heat out of the back of the system then wont the H80 just be brining in hot air ?

Just a thought

Yea, I should also mention that I am speaking about my own personal experience with my 800D which has room for my radiator on the TOP of the case. Of course, if you have enough space between the wall and the back of your PC, expelled heat shouldn't be THAT much of an issue. The air will still be cooler than in-case air unless you have a great airflow setup.

Of course the only way to really tell is to try both setups and test each while keeping variables such as room temp as consistent as possible.

Quite honestly those AP-15s are worth every penny. If you can afford to splurge then I say go for them. Basically everyone who knows water cooling uses or wants to use the Gentle Typhoon series fans for a very good reason.

As for the Sharkoons, I have never used them nor have I read anything about them. Although, if you research fan reviews I believe you will typically find the GTs up top.

BTW...it sounds like you are in the UK. If it is possible to order from the EU without too much tax/shipping cost, look up places in Germany. They typically have good prices on GT series fans.

edit: after looking at those Sharkoons, I wanted to add something. Look at the fin design and the center hub. This is going to create a HUGE dead spot on your radiator where there will be little to no airflow. Not something which is a big deal if you have some pace between the fan and whatever you are trying to cool (e.g. using spacers, etc)... but it becomes much more of an issue when the fan is sitting almost flush up against the radiator.

To see what I am talking about, compare the center portion and fan blade area between the Sharkoons and the GTs.

Of course this is simply my first impression from looking at the units. I have no data to back this up on that specific fan.

A lot of people seem to overlook the Noctuas...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

I have my H70's radiator sandwiched between two, and I have four acting as intake via side mesh of my 600T.

Yea, I tend to overlook them because they are basically as expensive at the GT's, perform on par with the GTs (or a little worse depending on the review), yet have a TERRIBLE color scheme (brown and beige? really?).

Oh and in case you are wondering, I am using NoiseBlocker fans because GTs are very hard to come by in the US. NoiseBlockers are also very awesome, but cost even more than the GTs, so I cant suggest getting them if you live outside the US and have access to GTs.

Archived