Corsair Community

SP120 - Quiet Edition for Hydro H100 possible?

curioustom

Hi,

I'm wondering if you can get away with using SP120 - Quiet Edition fans for the Corsair Hydro H100? Has anyone tried this? I'm fully aware that there will be a cooling performance loss vs less noise but thought I ask. I'm using a i7 3770k not overclocked atm and have a pretty good airflow in my case with ambient temperature around 27 Celsius. Thanks in advance for any and all input/help!

Tom

EDIT: A follow up question... does having 4 fans help as in pushing and pulling?

I doubt you would be happy with the results. I'm using the SP120 performance edition fans and my temps are 3-5° higher than they were with the stock fans. With four of the quiet edition fans in push-pull configuration you would lose much of the acoustic benefits. But the bottom line is you won't know until you try.

I doubt you would be happy with the results. I'm using the SP120 performance edition fans and my temps are 3-5° higher than they were with the stock fans. With four of the quiet edition fans in push-pull configuration you would lose much of the acoustic benefits. But the bottom line is you won't know until you try.

Thanks G50EED!

I found this while waiting for a reply... if you have a few minutes to spare tell me what you think of the reviews and results ....... of the fans! You'll know what I mean.

You might be interested in this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/choosing-the-best-120mm-radiator-fan-testing-eight-fans-with-corsairs-h80

I cannot account for the vastly different results but it's something to consider. And all that I can say is that from my personal experience my SP120 performance edition fans are not performing better than the stock fans, though they are noticeably quieter.

You might be interested in this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/choosing-the-best-120mm-radiator-fan-testing-eight-fans-with-corsairs-h80

I cannot account for the vastly different results but it's something to consider. And all that I can say is that from my personal experience my SP120 performance edition fans are not performing better than the stock fans, though they are noticeably quieter.

Sweet, thank you! That's something I've been looking for... tests just like that... been googling like mad and didn't stumble upon it.

I wish the test would have had (High), (Medium), (Low) on all test results.

I guess I will be sticking to the H100 fans once my Corsair Hydro H100 arrives. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't get one that makes funny noises or leaks... the H100 has been getting a lot of bad press around the over-clocker forums. I don't know if it's deserved or not but the reputation is below average.

curioustom

Yes,H-100 did have pump noise and Corsair claims to have to addressed it.The new crop of H-100 should be silent. Fan controller problem seem to exist which pops up on and off.

Corsair may come up with a revised H-100 edition with these fully resolved.

curioustom

Yes,H-100 did have pump noise and Corsair claims to have to addressed it.The new crop of H-100 should be silent. Fan controller problem seem to exist which pops up on and off.

Corsair may come up with a revised H-100 edition with these fully resolved.

I hope that some batches are OK... if mine is not working of the bat I will probably go into an emo rage, throw it in the bin and order a Noctua or Ph*ntek fan.:beatchair

• 1 month later...

If I hear good than worth crossing from 2x H100 stock fans on 4xSP120 High Performance and High performance easy became Quiet on controller or resistors.

Noise is less, speed is less than stock fans but only for 150-200RPM and noise is much less if I hear good, but temp difference is not so big. And 2 more fans compensated 2-3C more. If I count I use almost always on Balanced Speed than 4xSP Performance Edition only good can make.

4x SP120 + 2011 Upgrade kit fit 8 screews + Lamptron controller, no grinding on pump because speed, always stay on max, fans are on controller. That's it.

I can survive little noise, that is not HTPC.

Archived